Very hard suspension or shocks?
NEWS

1. Welcome to RangeRovers.net – General discussion forum for Range Rovers

Welcome to RangeRovers.net - a website dedicated to all things Range Rovers.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, Join RangeRovers.net today!

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Very hard suspension or shocks?

FRESHMAN ROVER

Very hard suspension or shocks?

Hi All!

I'm having a bit trouble with a 'bumpy' ride..
    I get the feeling that the shocks don't work properly, as i feel almost every bump in the road.

What i also don't understand is that sometimes the ride is a little smoother, then i don't feel every bump on road through the whole car.
    I always check this at the same bump here in town, so i'm sure it has nothing to do with a different bump.
    Has anyone experienced something like this, and what are the things to check?

P.s. My girlfriend has VW polo from 1992 is this thing runs MUCH smoother over bumps.

2. Remove Advertisements
    RangeRovers.net
    Advertisements

SOLIHULL ROVER

Re: Very hard suspension or shocks?

Hi

Possible causes:

Tires with large rims can cause a bumpy ride, tire pressure correct?
    Change to coil springs that are very stiff can also spoil the ride.
    The wrong type of shocks or the wrong length that bottom out too early will cause transfer of shocks to the cabin.
    Worn suspension bushes can cause clunks or too hard polyurethane bushes fitted as a replacement transfer the bumps to the cabin.

If you want the most comfortable ride it is best to go for original specs as per Landrover supply for all above mentioned parts. They got it quite right from the beginning. It is also recommended to take a drive in an other P38 to see how it compares to yours. There are many owners that have used non original parts and with different outcomes. Different people like different ride behavior so it is not easy to say what is good and what is not.

Good luck

Jos
    1995 RR 4.0 SE
    Fitted with replacement engine and gearboxes from 1997 4.0 SE.

FRESHMAN ROVER

Jos,

Thanks for your reply.
    The tire pressure is checked and ok!

I don't have coil springs, so that is not a cause.
    You probably wan't to know what shocks are underneeth her right now, i will check it today!

FRESHMAN ROVER

Quote Originally Posted by Jos Geuze
    Hi

Possible causes:

Tires with large rims can cause a bumpy ride, tire pressure correct?
    Change to coil springs that are very stiff can also spoil the ride.
    The wrong type of shocks or the wrong length that bottom out too early will cause transfer of shocks to the cabin.
    Worn suspension bushes can cause clunks or too hard polyurethane bushes fitted as a replacement transfer the bumps to the cabin.

If you want the most comfortable ride it is best to go for original specs as per Landrover supply for all above mentioned parts. They got it quite right from the beginning. It is also recommended to take a drive in an other P38 to see how it compares to yours. There are many owners that have used non original parts and with different outcomes. Different people like different ride behavior so it is not easy to say what is good and what is not.

Good luck

Jos
    Hi, what @jos report is correct, but did the height off your EAS is correct?

Me too have what you say, very hard ride, I changed tires, shocks (Armstrong and Britscrap).
    But, I did find that I must have a faulty Drive pack or a faulty EAS ECU, or a new leak in the BV, since I have trouble in lowering the heights of the RR and 4 news sensors.

But sometimes, like you report also have a good ride, so I think is something electronic

My opinion, try the change all the orings in the B.V. then watch if you have the "flying carpet" ride
    Sorry for my eventually bad English...

Paulo Santos

99MY RR DSE Epson Green

Quote Originally Posted by WalterP38
    I get the feeling that the shocks don't work properly, as i feel almost every bump in the road.
    I'm going to take a stab in the dark and say replace your shocks. I know it's not logical at all but it might cure your problem. Just avoid Bilsteins like your mother-in-law, they are very, very, very, very stiff shocks. No that's not a typo.

Do we even have enough info to take a stab? IS the rig original? Eas or springs? Stock rims with stock size tyres? What pressure are the tyres at?
    Sucking at something is the first step to becoming sorta good at something.

JUNIOR ROVER

Is the car at a proper ride height? It just sounds to me as if it may be running on it's bump stops, and occassionaly lifting off them.

Yes avoid bilstiens unless you know a good chiropractor.

FRESHMAN ROVER

Guys, thanks for the reply's.

The EAS is working fine i guess, goes up in 2-3 seconds and even a little bit faster to the heighest position.
    The tires have the pressure as mentioned in the drivers door or manual, the rims are 18" with goodyear wranglers HP 255*60

I made some photo's of my shocks the other day, i will post them a.s.a.p.

@ Benji, i'm not running on my bumpstops, had this once during a hard fault so i know how that feels

@ tomcatrr,

Is your issue solved?
    And what do you mean with BV (valve block or something?), is it possible that the airbags are to hard?

FRESHMAN ROVER

@ tomcatrr,

Is your issue solved?
    And what do you mean with BV (valve block or something?), is it possible that the airbags are to hard?
    Hi Walter,

No, my issue is not solved.
    That´s why, before the obvious (dead shocks) I told you to check "another things", because, you comment that sometimes the ride is fine.
    And yes BV(wrong) must be VB (language issue) and is for Valve Block.

Just like I reported, my RR runs a little more high that it should be, if I try to set the heights in the EAS ECU, they reset themselves.

Just to clarify, when I have the RR in this correct height (sometimes it happens ), if I remove the EAS Relay under the seat, the ride is smooth (and the Britscrap shocks are not fine), and also have no leaks (I run 500 kms ), so it must be another thing.

I try others RR, and they are smooth, not like mine.

Personally, if you put new shocks, I recommend stay with the LR.
    But check what @jos told before.
    Sorry for my eventually bad English...

Paulo Santos

99MY RR DSE Epson Green

SOPHOMORE ROVER

Shock absorber bush or shock absorber bolt lose, most likley the top bolt lose on the rear shock
    1998 Range Rover dse,

400bhp Sierra Cosworth

FRESHMAN ROVER

I found the shocks i have on the internet:

Rear:
    http://www.island-4x4.co.uk/rear-shock- ... p-117.html

Front:
    http://www.island-4x4.co.uk/front-shock ... p-116.html

Allthough, mine don't look that nice anymore offcourse.
    And i also noticed rust on the rear shocks at the point were they move up and down, like it is has rubbed against each other.
    I guess the only way that can happen is when they aren't straight anymore...

JUNIOR ROVER

This issue has been nagging me for the past three years! The ride has progressively become so sensitive that every little rut or crack in the bitumen transmits through the car. A trip last year to Cape york over corrugated dirt roads almost shook it to bits whereas a drive in a nissan Navara dual cab over the same road produced a ride that was heaps more comfortable...

The vehicle is stock standard in terms of airbags, shocks (12m old), tyres (cooper H/t 50% worn), original 16" wheels.

I believe there are several reasons why the ride has deteriorated

1. The standard airbags are linear in their response... and are not progressive rate in compression as is available with certain coil springs..
    (I'm told Arnotts GenIII airbags have a softer ride at higher settings than std bags but are "firmer" = harsh at freeway and std height ...)
    2. The rubber mounting blocks between the chassis and body have probably hardened considerably thereby transmitting shock more readily
    3. when I first fitted the new shock absorbers, there was an immediate improvement in ride harshness...this I attributed to the elasticity of the new (thicker) bushes...which have now hardened
    4. There is less cushioning effect from the tyre tread as they are 50% worn (the Navara had new Maxis A/Ts)
    5. the tyres (Cooper H/T) are regulation size 65% aspect ratio... 15" wheels with 75 or 80% AR would no doubt provide better cushioning
    6. cooper claim their tyres have stronger (=stiffer) side walls...which adds to the harshness...
    7.Control Arm bushes: mine appear to be rock hard...I have new ones to fit..just gotta get around to it...will let you know
    8. We just "lurve" our f/r solid axle setup...don't we? DON'T WE!! Also adds to the harshness in terms of unsprung weight

so, plenty of things to think about
    “This is one race of people for whom psychoanalysis is of no use whatsoever.”
    (Sigmund Freud...referring to Landie owners in general and P38a fanatics in particular..apparently

MY99 P38 4.6 (Thor) with general personality disorder...

FRESHMAN ROVER

Quote Originally Posted by Max
    I'm going to take a stab in the dark and say replace your shocks. I know it's not logical at all but it might cure your problem. Just avoid Bilsteins like your mother-in-law, they are very, very, very, very stiff shocks. No that's not a typo.
    The oil in your shockers will thicken over time due to aeration and heat etc. Hence the rebound characteristics will change leading to a less than satisfactory ride.

JUNIOR ROVER

Quote Originally Posted by zhoey
    Quote Originally Posted by Max
    The oil in your shockers will thicken over time due to aeration and heat etc. Hence the rebound characteristics will change leading to a less than satisfactory ride.

not my experience...in fact just the opposite...the ride resembles riding on a trampoline due to diminished damping...the percussion effects of ruts and bumps remains the same...
    “This is one race of people for whom psychoanalysis is of no use whatsoever.”
    (Sigmund Freud...referring to Landie owners in general and P38a fanatics in particular..apparently

MY99 P38 4.6 (Thor) with general personality disorder...

FRESHMAN ROVER

Great information guys!

Because someome has the almost the same issue, 1 day hard suspension/shocks and the other day a bit softer, i have been checking the ride heights and changed them a little bit lower.
    There was sometimes 1.5 cm difference in height between the wheels, I corrected them at all the 4 height settings.

It seems that the ride goes a bit smoother than before, if this keeps on for the weekend then i probably know what also has something to do with the suspension.
    But i was also told that the shocks work the same no matter how high or low the vehicle is, correct me if i'm wrong