Range Rovers Forum banner

Transfer case chain replacement

5K views 3 replies 3 participants last post by  kmagnuss 
#1 ·
It's time to replace the transfer box chain on my 2000 4.0. Below are the parts I was going to order.

Chain
Transfer box input seal FTC2979
Transfer Box flange seal qty 2 input and output FTC4939 (are there 2 of these to replace?)
rtc6015 transfer box diff bearing
rtc6025 viscous coupling bearing

Is there anything I'm missing? Do I need to change the bearings?

Thanks,
Greg

#2 ·
What were your 'symptoms?'. I am not looking forward to the time I need to replace mine. I am pushing 100k miles on the original and the previous owner used the truck occasionally to tow a boat.

There was a good write-up about the install on the site with pics, though some are now missing. Do a search.

Please take pics and a write-up if you get a chance. Good luck.

#3 ·
spikemd said:
What were your 'symptoms?'
My symptoms were the loud popping under the vehicle upon hard acceleration. I can drive it without it popping, but my wife is unable to drive it without punching it at every stop. It's been going on for about 4 months. The truck has 140,000 on it, and I've had a mechanic diagnose it, but he wants to just swap it for a rebuild and $2k. So $400 in parts, and my time seems like a good deal.

#4 ·
When I did mine (had it done actually... :doh: ) I didn't replace the bearings simply due to time constraints (would have had to wait for them to get here after it was all apart...and I was in the middle of a move). But yeah, it looks like you have it covered. Good luck.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.