Difficulty of Serpentine Belt Install?
NEWS

1. Welcome to RangeRovers.net General discussion forum for Range Rovers

Welcome to RangeRovers.net - a website dedicated to all things Range Rovers.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, Join RangeRovers.net today!

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Difficulty of Serpentine Belt Install?

SOPHOMORE ROVER

Difficulty of Serpentine Belt Install?

OK, sorry for the noob question (I always have them), but how difficult is this? I saw the diagram online that shows the steps involved but telling someone the steps to something and actually doing it can sometimes be a large difference.

Is this something I should be able to do with little mechanical know how, the diagrams, and my trusty tool box or is this something I should really have done by a professional?
    99 Range Rover
    4.6 HSE Epsom Green

2. Remove Advertisements
    Range Rovers Forum
    Advertisements

JUNIOR ROVER

Re: Difficulty of Serpentine Belt Install?

Takes 5 minutes.

If I remember correctly, just release the belt tensioner with 15mm socket, take off old belt, release tensioner again and put on new belt. The tensioner swivels and allows the belt to come off.

If you have to pay a mechanic for this one, trying to fix the rest of your truck will kill your wallet.
    2001 Range Rover 4.6 SE - SD rack, sliders, ladderr, steering guard, front diff guard, rear diff guard, Warn XD9000CE winch, factory winch tray, aluminum radiator, 255/85 r16 KM2s, RTE 3 coils, adj panhard rod... ARB 50qt fridge, GoalZeroExtreme350
    2006 LR3 SE - ARB bumper, Superwinch EP9, Hella 4000s, Expedition rack, Sasquatch rods, GY MTRs 275/65 r18s

Premium Member

DO NOT turn the wrong way on the tensioner like I did... ruining the mounting bracket.

It shouldn't take you more than 10 minutes.
    05' MKIII-
    Wanted: D90
    MTI Equipment
    HDD Forums

SOPHOMORE ROVER

You can DIY, but having a helper the first time may save you some grief and knuckle skin

It's just so much easier when someone else can hold the tensioner loose while you use BOTH hands to fit the belt

JMO

Tom
    2005 RR HSE Alveston Red/Charcoal('06 wheels/badges)
    1999 RR 4.6 HSE Chawton White/Lightstone
    1998 RR 4.6 HSE Oxford Blue/Lightstone (project/sold, but learned alot from her)

If it has tits or tires, your gonna have problems with it.

JUNIOR ROVER

Oh, and remember to make a mental picture in your mind of how the belt goes over/under the various pulleys. Write it down if you have to. Good luck.
    2001 Range Rover 4.6 SE - SD rack, sliders, ladderr, steering guard, front diff guard, rear diff guard, Warn XD9000CE winch, factory winch tray, aluminum radiator, 255/85 r16 KM2s, RTE 3 coils, adj panhard rod... ARB 50qt fridge, GoalZeroExtreme350
    2006 LR3 SE - ARB bumper, Superwinch EP9, Hella 4000s, Expedition rack, Sasquatch rods, GY MTRs 275/65 r18s

If you don't have the FSM or the sticker showing belt routing, draw a picture BEFORE you start!
    After that, it will take less time than drinking a cup of coffee.

Martin
    '98 P38 HSE, with a 6.0 liter LSx and 4L60E transmission, fully functional EAS, HVAC etc.
    '03 L322 HSE Bone stock, besides XM.
    '98 XJ Locked, geared, plated and on 37's.
    Custom fabrication, engine rebuilds and knowledge that comes from experience and not Google, always available for a reasonable cost.
    Reliable BECM repairs, and EAS Parts....www.becmdoctor.com

JUNIOR ROVER

As others have already pointed out, this job is very easy-probably easier than an oil change.

When releasing the tensioner, it's best to have a fairly long extension. I personally go for over a foot to have a really nice leverage. This makes it a piece of cake.

Dont' forget to get the right belt-length and groove#. When putting it back, putting it back in the right orientation and having all grooves seated is the key.

First time, maybe 1hr, but from the 2nd time around, probably only takes like 20 min.

Oh yeah, maybe it's a good time to replace the tensioner and the 2 idler pulleys while you're at it.
    02 P38
    SoCal, USA

FRESHMAN ROVER

Quote Originally Posted by spikemd
    Oh, and remember to make a mental picture in your mind of how the belt goes over/under the various pulleys. Write it down if you have to. Good luck.
    just in case

Neil Ricci

2001 Range Rover 4.6 Vogue (LPG)
    1971 Log Rover (Tipper, splitter, capstan, LPG)
    1968 Land Rover 109" (LPG)
    1992 Autotune Gemini kitcar (Fiat Twincam)

http://www.log-rover.co.uk

FRESHMAN ROVER

Quote Originally Posted by logrover
    Quote Originally Posted by spikemd
    just in case

The gems engine is different than that. So make sure you have a bosch if you are going to follow that. I have a gems and replacing the belt takes 5 minutes. To release tension put a socket on the tensioner and push in towards the center of the engine to release.
    1996 Range Rover 4.0 SE - North America

SOPHOMORE ROVER

As mines a 99, it has the Bosch setup. The reason I got nervous is because the instructions I found mentioned taking off the AC belt as well. I wasn't sure how hard it would be and the worst would be to get halfway through, then realize i was stuck... at that point, wouldn't even be able to get the car to a mechanic...

But if it's that easy, I'm sure i'll finish (will likely take me 30 minutes) and will be like wow that was simple
    99 Range Rover
    4.6 HSE Epsom Green

FOUNDING MEMBER

Quote Originally Posted by 2000_328ci
    ... instructions I found mentioned taking off the AC belt as well.
    There's only one belt, it runs everything, including the A/C.

Quote Originally Posted by 2000_328ci
    As mines a 99, it has the Bosch setup.
    1999 was the crossover year, so could be either one. Just FYI.

Martin
    '98 P38 HSE, with a 6.0 liter LSx and 4L60E transmission, fully functional EAS, HVAC etc.
    '03 L322 HSE Bone stock, besides XM.
    '98 XJ Locked, geared, plated and on 37's.
    Custom fabrication, engine rebuilds and knowledge that comes from experience and not Google, always available for a reasonable cost.
    Reliable BECM repairs, and EAS Parts....www.becmdoctor.com

FRESHMAN ROVER

Serpentine belts are really easy. Here's a fun trick kids! forget all those pesky belt diagrams by replacing with this simple rule! When the pulley has teeth lay the toothed side on the toothed side and if the pulley has a flat side then run the flat edge over it. You'll be surprised if you just go from pulley to pulley like this you could never use a diagram again, I haven't. Good luck.
    2000 Range Rover HSE black on black 32 inch Duratrac Arnott Custom Software Lift .50 cal Sunroof Turret Rover Raiser

Yup, that's the way... pretty simple when you stare it it long enough. Thanks for dumbing it down for us.

You won't always have a RAVE manual on hand when stuck in the bush

Cheers, Paul.
    My toys, projects and write-ups at PaulP38a.com

FRESHMAN ROVER

Quote Originally Posted by PaulP38A
    Yup, that's the way... pretty simple when you stare it it long enough. Thanks for dumbing it down for us.

You won't always have a RAVE manual on hand when stuck in the bush

Cheers, Paul.
    Sorry for the threadlift, but I liked this thread and would like to share my experience.

I replaced the pulleys and tensioner which all were worn out, the car made some very annoying sounds, especially on idle. The plastic pulleys where worn down a couple of mm and made loud grinding noises , I thought it was the alternator or maybe AC, but they seemfine and silent now.

anyway, I decided to do this with the fan on, this was a bad decision, I would have saved prob 1-2 hours on removing the fan. Took me almost 4 hours total now including fishing for tools that ive dropped into the fan shroud. And to get the "clip" back on the coolant hose, when I loosend it i slid it back and it compressed over the hose, making my pliers not being able to reach the tabs, squeesing it at the same time as holding a pair of plyers and trying to get them over the tabs = frustrating.

Anyway, easy job, anyone can do it, but REMOVE THE FAN!