Front passenger door won't open....
NEWS

1. Welcome to RangeRovers.net General discussion forum for Range Rovers

Welcome to RangeRovers.net - a website dedicated to all things Range Rovers.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, Join RangeRovers.net today!

+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Front passenger door won't open....

FRESHMAN ROVER

Front passenger door won't open....

My front passenger door will not open either from the inside or the outside. All the other doors are fine and the locking system seems to be working fine. It doesn't appear to be a mechanical problem since the handles travel the normal distance. Could this be some kind of an electronic and or computer issue? I would certainly welcome any suggestions.
    '00 RR 4.0 Burgandy
    '04 Toyota 4Runner
    '07 Honda 1300VTX
    Don't drive/ride to live... Live to drive/ride

2. Remove Advertisements
    Range Rovers Forum
    Advertisements

FRESHMAN ROVER

Re: Front passenger door won't open....

Hi to All I placed a tread on here sometime ago how to over come this problem search sillyboy if you can't find it come back. best of luck sillyboy
    2 door classic 84-91
    4 door three speed auto 91-94
    4 door four speed auto 94-2000
    P38 2000 - present day

Id rather be hated for who I am than loved for who I am not
    Kurt Cobain

JUNIOR ROVER

Its a bugger, remove back door and support.

Get a couple of longer drills and some tubing and enjoy.
    There is a thread here with pics, cant remember who but may be worth going through my posts and shift through them
    Feel free to use info on my blog "Update 1 of 5 - Water leaks" Note: No longer in JHB, Moved to Durban (South Africa) much better on the coast, its been 1 year so far
    http://rangeroverworld.blogspot.com/

FRESHMAN ROVER

Had same problem on drivers door. As under warranty (2nd hand) took back. Dealer solution was to remove external trim from bottom of window, slide 3 foot chisel down to lock activator, hit with lump hammer. Apparently a known prob. you have to remove door trim and replace activator immediately afterwards of course as door will no longer lock.

JUNIOR ROVER

Quote Originally Posted by jime
    Had same problem on drivers door. As under warranty (2nd hand) took back. Dealer solution was to remove external trim from bottom of window, slide 3 foot chisel down to lock activator, hit with lump hammer. Apparently a known prob. you have to remove door trim and replace activator immediately afterwards of course as door will no longer lock.

I've yet to try this, I guess it works well....
    Feel free to use info on my blog "Update 1 of 5 - Water leaks" Note: No longer in JHB, Moved to Durban (South Africa) much better on the coast, its been 1 year so far
    http://rangeroverworld.blogspot.com/

FRESHMAN ROVER

Hi to All, Search my post "Door locke that wont open" it will save you all that damage with the hammer and chisels, also you canot remove the outside waist trim without removing the small screw just above the door lock on the inside of the door my way sounds like a lot of work but it realy is'nt i've used this method three times and keep the tool i made in a safe place for future use. Best regards sillyboy
    2 door classic 84-91
    P38 2000 - present day

Kurt Cobain

FRESHMAN ROVER

"you canot remove the outside waist trim without removing the small screw just above the door lock on the inside of the door "
    Aint disputing any other method of fixing this BUT I assure you I sat in my drivers seat and watched the dealer (or at least his mechanic) remove the trim from the base of the window and bash the lock exactly as I described. It therefore follows you must be able to remove this trim without removing internal screw. - this was on a 2000 4.6 vogue (just in case there are any diffs.).

FRESHMAN ROVER

* Report this post

Superlocked front door

Postby Jovinblak Sun Mar 23, 2008 11:46 pm
    the front passenger door (LH) appeared to superlock on the Autobiography a fortnight ago, been waiting for a replacement striker before cutting through the original one to open the door and remove the latch assembly, decided not to destroy the latch as per forum, though did buy numerous 1mtr lengths of various sizes and profiles of steel from B&Q for that purpose and decided to use the rear door off method, but found it unnecessary to actually remove the door, so protecting the paintwork with 1/2 a dozen layers of Duct/Gaffer tape wrapped around the edge of the front door and on the face of the rear door at the point of the striker extending down to the plastic trim in case of any mishaps, I used a 12" hacksaw blade in a holder and sawed though the nearest stem of the staple, then after a cuppa, sawed though the other, obviously carefully so as not to cut through the tape, each bit of damage was covered with another layer, the end of the saw blade was also covered with tape when cutting through the 2nd stem, finally the door swung open and I removed the card and latch with no damage to paintwork at all, I'm glad I didn't destroy the latch, because the reason it was 'superlocked' was simply the end of a small, but very important (and flimsy) nylon lever had broken off, unfortunately the case and all relevant internal gubbings are handed and all my spare latches are of the opposite hand, so will have to order new latch from dealer after the Holiday, still this does give me a spare motor for the next failure as these are not handed and fit L&R&Rr.
    so it seems sawing through the striker is the easiest way to open a superlocked front door, the back door must be open of course in order to cut the striker. By the way I used a 1/2" eclipse blade with 22TPI and found reversing the blade to cut on the pulling stroke rather than the pushing stroke was more effective and cut through quicker.
    Cheers John
    1999 P38A DHSE Autobiography MKIII Navigation
    1998 P38A DSE (remapped chip)
    2002 L322 Vogue (Bluetooth + MkIV satnav)

FRESHMAN ROVER

Hi to all, Glad to see that I put you in the right direction, but taking off the back door is realy no hassel at all 10 minutes tops, in answer to the other post taking off the waist seal without removing the screw yes you can it's plastic you can remove all the trim on the car without removing any screws but you'd have a job refitting it, question, does the waist seal still sit back against the rear of the door the way it used to???? also what shape was the door lock in when removed ??? and was there any damage the the door ???? when you answer this please be honest as others would like to know. in the dia. it's part 11 and 12 the screw that holds the waist seal.
    Best Regards sillyboy
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Front passenger door won't open....-front-door.jpg  
    2 door classic 84-91
    P38 2000 - present day

Kurt Cobain

FRESHMAN ROVER

Hi
    I looked for your post on how to open the latch but couldn't find it. Can you please send a link. There are several options of forcing this door open but I want to make sure I take the least destructive one. Any one else had better luck with going through the panel inside? Pictures and details would be most appreciated.