Head Gasket Replacement
NEWS

1. Welcome to RangeRovers.net – General discussion forum for Range Rovers

Welcome to RangeRovers.net - a website dedicated to all things Range Rovers.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, Join RangeRovers.net today!

+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Head Gasket Replacement

FRESHMAN ROVER

Head Gasket Replacement

I found a 99 HSE that needs a new head gasket. I was considering buying it (cheap). I'm handy but am no mechanic. Is this a straight forward job? If not how much should I expect to pay for the repair?

Thanks for the help!

2. Remove Advertisements
    Range Rovers Forum
    Advertisements

Re: Head Gasket Replacement

It's about a $2,000-2,600 job (depending on where you go) so if you have the time and know how it might be worth it for you. There's a lot of pieces to take off the top though with a Bosch system...
    2003 Range Rover HSE
    Los Angeles, CA

$2000-$2600 for a head gasket job??..That better include the "blow" as well... ...Last year my rocker shaft broke and I needed to replace it with a new one...Basically tore top of motor down to the valley where I had to replace the lifter/pushrod that came out...If I known then what I know now, I would have just replaced the head gaskets as I was already there...It's not that difficult...First thing, download RAVE, as it pretty much lays out in detail, how to tear down and rebuild everything on these rigs...I was able to work on my truck with basic tools(I have large set from years of working on cars), but nothing out of the ordinary...It helps to give yourself some time...I actually rented a car for the week, just so I would not rush myself and make stupids mistakes...And make sure you have all of the gaskets/parts you need at the time of replacement, so your not stuck waiting a few more days for something forgoten...Don't let all that tubing and wiring scare you...Once you remove all that, it's basically a simple 16v single cam V8...My mustangs were more difficult to work on...I was shocked to realize how easy these motors are to deal with...Just last month, I needed to replace a water pump and crank seal...That one was a little hard as I needed to order a special crank wrench so I could get the lock nut off...But again, with the help of RAVE and a little patients, the job got done... ...Plus, the gasket kit, which comes with everything might set you back a few $100, but the gratification of the fact that you were able to compete a repair job is just priceless...That's why I get so much joy out of my Range...Keeps me on my toes, but she has never left me stranded...

JUNIOR ROVER

If it over heated then best to remove engine....

Depending on severity of over heat parts like piostons and block will need to be inspected.
    A over heated engine will always require new piston rings and a light honing of the bores.
    sometimes if it was a mild over heat you can get away with doing the top end only but rarely.
    Lack of power is a prime example of collapsed/worn piston rings
    Feel free to use info on my blog "Update 1 of 5 - Water leaks" Note: No longer in JHB, Moved to Durban (South Africa) much better on the coast, its been 1 year so far
    http://rangeroverworld.blogspot.com/

JUNIOR ROVER
    Tempe, Arizona, USA (Yet another Expat Brit with a Rover)

Not to put a spanner in the works, I second Viperover's comment from experience. When I first bought my Gems, I thought I was getting a deal with a broken EAS and a leaking Valley gasket (the head gaskets were fine). What I didn't know was the PO overheated the engine and it threw a rod after 1 month of ownership.
    Having said that, these engines are very easy to pull and work on. If you are going to own one, prepare to get your hands dirty for unmeasurable amount of joy and misery.
    Dinesh H
    1999 Range Rover 4.0S
    2001 Mercedes ML320
    1993 Mercedes 190e 2.6
    1985 Mercedes 190e 2.3
    1983 Mercedes 380SEC
    1974 FIAT Spider

Well, if one knows of the engine being overheated before hand, then I would agree, and just yank the motor...I guess my previous post was if someone wants to be proactive and fix the issue of bad gaskets resulting in overheating, rather than waiting after the fact...This can be achieved while motor is still attached...

JUNIOR ROVER

I've got an '02 w/ 170,000 miles on the clock, and though I don't have problems yet, I think it's almost time to do the headgasket.

Other than replacing the headgasket/valley gasket/valve cover seals while I have the engine apart, what other stuff should be tended to?

Thanks in advance,

Ted
    02 P38
    SoCal, USA

FRESHMAN ROVER

Thanks for the tips.

Make sure you calculate out the salvage and part value of it, in case things go south.
    A Land Rover doesn't leak! It marks its territory.

1996 Range Rover 4.0SE 167k Miles Epsom Green

I've got an '02 w/ 170,000 miles on the clock, and though I don't have problems yet, I think it's almost time to do the headgasket.

Other than replacing the headgasket/valley gasket/valve cover seals while I have the engine apart, what other stuff should be tended to?

Thanks in advance,

Ted
    Wow, that puts a smile on my face... ...I'm just shy over 144k and no issues so far(just odd ball, RR nickle and dime stuff), but drivetrain still chuggin' along...And I will be the first to admit, I'm not light footed either...Sport mode gets used quite a few times... ...As for what to replace, thermostat, water pump, drive belt, in my case, front crank seal, basic tune up and coil packs...I just replace items when they fail, such as alt, battery, ect...But my rig does get her 3k oil change and chassis greasing from Land Rover...Plus, rad flush and diff/tranny fluids changed...I know, oil changes are easy, but my son enjoys the play room and free ice cream...

JUNIOR ROVER

For whats its worth, I have two new recent customers with post 99 models, one of them has over 420 000km's, the other 360 000kms, both engines been rebuilt but thats it so far....and even there VCUs in the transfer box is still doing well not to mention the autoboxes still operating well and as mentioned by customers maintenance is king to there Rangies doing the Km's they have....

So now I have to start sorting out their electrical and EAS issues......
    Feel free to use info on my blog "Update 1 of 5 - Water leaks" Note: No longer in JHB, Moved to Durban (South Africa) much better on the coast, its been 1 year so far
    http://rangeroverworld.blogspot.com/

Head gasket job using a competent indy mechanic, including get both heads skimmed should be $1000 - $1200 max and be done in a week.

JUNIOR ROVER

Here in Southern California, I was quoted $1,500 from an indy just for valve cover replacement, so I don't know how much they'll want for a head gasket job.

I think it all depends on where you live. On the other hand, even if it's only $1,500 for a head gasket replacement, I'll probably still do it myself.
    02 P38
    SoCal, USA

Quote Originally Posted by TheoR
    Here in Southern California, I was quoted $1,500 from an indy just for valve cover replacement, so I don't know how much they'll want for a head gasket job.

I think it all depends on where you live. On the other hand, even if it's only $1,500 for a head gasket replacement, I'll probably still do it myself.
    You have got to be kidding, right???... ...$1500 for valve cover gasket replacement...Man, I'm in the wrong business...I'm guessing these shops pray on lost souls who they think are technically incompetent because they drive "Land Rovers"...My word man, that has to be the most ridiculous price quote I have ever heard...Wonder what they charge for oil changes???...Or even a air filter replacement???...I know some RR owners would prefer to have someone else do the work, which is fine, but your better off finding somene on this forum or and other RR forum to help out, I'm sure for the fraction of the price that these so call "indy" shops charge...Heck, I would have no problem helping a fellow Rover owner out and all I would ask in return is bring your own parts and a cold case of PBR... ...