Stroker?
NEWS

1. Welcome to RangeRovers.net General discussion forum for Range Rovers

Welcome to RangeRovers.net - a website dedicated to all things Range Rovers.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, Join RangeRovers.net today!

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Stroker?

Stroker?

Will be getting on with rebuilding the "spare" 4.6 I have soon (if I ever stop making bumpers etc anyways).
    I was wondering if there is any info regards stroking it out a little for some more torque?
    If I can increase the cc's reliably, I will give it a go. Don't want to run into issues down the road though...
    I use the rig for some towing duties, so more torque would be nice and not too concerned with high end hp.
    I plan on the cam upgrade when the time comes for ordering all the pieces from D&D, but thought I would ask input from anyone with knowledge/experience.
    Will also be replacing the tranny with a 62k miles one that Pete is selling off, along with the torque converter, so that should be covered.
    I know the SBC would be cool etc, but if I can make some respectable power with the stock setup, why not?
    Thoughts??
    Martin
    '98 P38 HSE, with a 325hp built Chevy 5.3l LSx motor and transmission, fully functional EAS, HVAC etc.
    '03 L322 HSE Bone stock, besides XM.
    '98 XJ Locked, geared, plated and on 37's.
    Custom fabrication, engine rebuilds and knowledge that comes from experience and not Google, always available for a reasonable cost.
    Reliable BECM repairs, and EAS Parts....www.becmdoctor.com

2. Remove Advertisements
    RangeRovers.net
    Advertisements

FOUNDING MEMBER

Re: Stroker?

I've heard a Buick 300 crank will work bueatifully, but I don't have anything other than 3rd hand knowledge...

JUNIOR ROVER

I think there were some 5.0L engines at one point from a UK engine building, don't think I have heard of larger. But this got me thinking about displacement of the engine. Wouldn't it be cool to loose the iron liner and go to a Nickasil or similar coating sprayed onto the aluminum? You could probably gain material for the block and still have an effectively larger bore. Plus cure slipped liners and blown head gaskets. I wonder if its been done?
    '99 Range Rover HSE
    '02 Audi S6

Quote Originally Posted by NorCal RR
    I think there were some 5.0L engines at one point from a UK engine building, don't think I have heard of larger. But this got me thinking about displacement of the engine. Wouldn't it be cool to loose the iron liner and go to a Nickasil or similar coating sprayed onto the aluminum? You could probably gain material for the block and still have an effectively larger bore. Plus cure slipped liners and blown head gaskets. I wonder if its been done?
    5.0l kits are available from several sources. IIRC TVR used them as standard in the Chimaera.
    When I was looking around last year, I even came across a 5.3l version.
    4.0 SE manual, 1995, 'Piper': daily, GENIII, 4.6
    4.0 SE manual, 1997, 'Priscilla': new addition
    4.6 SE auto, 1995, 'Prue': GF daily, now 4.0
    2.5 DT manual, 1996, 'Paige': retired
    D90 TD5, 2005, 'Nessie': TR2 racer

FRESHMAN ROVER

Mine is rebuilt to 5.0 l - stroked - not bored but with top hat liners etc. JE HPC coated pistons from the states. I had it done by Orger engines here in Melbourne. Mark Adams stage III chips. I can find out the exact details/spec if you like.

It is very strong. Goes like they always should have. I was nevous about it but no regrets.

V8 developments in the UK do them both long and short engines. I was told by the good folk around town that we here in Aus have just as much expertise - after all Jack Brabham was winning in similar engines 20 odd years ago.

Regards

Andrew
    Melbourne, Australia
    1998 colour coded in Woodcote Green, complete high spec engine rebuild to 5.0l, Bilsteins, Gen IIIs, full stainless steel twin exhaust, Burr Walnut treatment by Silvercrest Design in UK, and some other bits and bobs

JUNIOR ROVER

Too much power increase will damage tranny on pre 99's, later auto boxes are stronger as fitted on the bosch controlled versions from 99 I think, havnt really gone much into it yet..
    Feel free to use info on my blog "Update 1 of 5 - Water leaks" Note: No longer in JHB, Moved to Durban (South Africa) much better on the coast, its been 1 year so far
    http://rangeroverworld.blogspot.com/

Andy,
    If you get a moment, could you please pm/email me the specs of the motor?
    Top hat liners are all but a no go here in the states due to cost, but the rest I could research.
    Thanks!

Viper,
    As I said, I will be putting a 62k mile tranny in there from a Bosch motor, so that should be covered mate

Thanks guys

Martin
    '98 P38 HSE, with a 325hp built Chevy 5.3l LSx motor and transmission, fully functional EAS, HVAC etc.
    Custom fabrication, engine rebuilds and knowledge that comes from experience and not Google, always available for a reasonable cost.

I believe you can get the pistons/con-rods from a Classic (not sure 3.5/3.9) as they have smaller 'big end' diameter. You can then get a 4.6 crank and ex-centrically grind the big-end pins to give you a longer stroke. I've seen a ~4.9L race engine created this way, running on carbs, with 400BHP....
    Paul
    '97 4.6 HSE, LPG dual-fuel, Arnott G3s

FRESHMAN ROVER

No worries Martin - but leave it with me for a few days as I will need to get the specs from work.

I should have added I also had my torque converter rebuilt/modified to deal with the extra power. The tranny itself I think handles it fine. The pre 99 fuel injecteors need to be ditched for the Bosch ones - or I bought the Ford yellow ones from Rover Renovations which seem to do the trick - don't know how they compare with the Bosch ones though - Shupack??

cheers

Andy
    Melbourne, Australia
    1998 colour coded in Woodcote Green, complete high spec engine rebuild to 5.0l, Bilsteins, Gen IIIs, full stainless steel twin exhaust, Burr Walnut treatment by Silvercrest Design in UK, and some other bits and bobs

Paul, details mate??
    Andy, that is fine mate, thank you.
    I am after getting a game plan for next time I am home, so I can get on with ordering parts etc. Will also need to know crank details so I can get main bearings sorted out.
    I will also try sending an email to D&D this weekend to see what they suggest.
    A realistic motor swap figure is going to be over $5k, and that is doing a lot of fabbing myself. As for selling a kit, I highly doubt anyone is going to pay the money to drop a SBC into a RR myself. Not enough to make it viable anyways.
    So for the money of the tranny and torque converter, that leaves a lot of change for a truly plug and play motor rebuild I think!

Martin

FOUNDING MEMBER

Quote Originally Posted by andyaa
    - don't know how they compare with the Bosch ones though - Shupack??
    I believe they're the same animal.... or do you mean the Bosch engine rover injectors? then not the same at all. won't even fit.

FRESHMAN ROVER

Thanks Shupack - my understanding (actually, assumption is a better word) is that at some point the fuel injectors were changed (from what I don't know) to Bosch ones and I had assumend that occurred on the 99 onward models (ie with the Bosch management system) but I don't actually know if that's right.

Mark Adams when provding my upgrade chip after my rebuild implored me to upgrade my fuel injectors to bosch ones but I had already got the Ford yellow ones from you back in time when I bought my Arnot Gen III airbags - so I thought there was no need to 'upgrade' again to Bosch ones - assuming that would be an upgrade which your response suggests is not the case.

The only slight issue I have with my rebuild is that there is an obvious flat spot in the acceleration on some occassions - not always. Sometimes I put my foot down and it doesn't take off like other occassions - may be it's an issue with the torque converter or something because there is bags of power in the engine - most of the time it just brings a smile to my face. Any ideas appreciated (hope that doesn't constitute a thread hi jack)

Anyway, I'll get someone to look at it at some point.

Cheers

Andy
    Melbourne, Australia

FOUNDING MEMBER

That's where the confusion lies, the ford aftermarket injectors I carry are made by Bosch, With a Ford logo on them. which is what MA was referring to (I believe).

In '99 BMW bought LR, and changed the engine management system to Bosch, including Bosch injectors BUT not the same Bosch injector. The wiring plug and resistance of the coil are different. So while both "Bosch" injectors, they're different types of apple. Macintosh vs. Granny Smith.....

The injectors you have should be just fine with your engine

Premium Member

Shaun at V8 Developments lists this as their StageIII 5.0 unit:

1. Top hat liner 96mm cylinder block, cross bolted, line honed, new cam bearings and core plugs.
    2. 86.36mm ground, polished and Tuftride crankshaft, large journal, dynamically balanced.
    3. Lightweight custom steel rods, chevy design, dynamically balanced and matched.
    4. Lightweight high performance, low expansion, hypereutectic pistons, dynamically balanced, pocketed.
    5. Stage III fully polished and ported cylinder heads, big valves, bulleted guides, late type stem seals, double valve springs, matched chambers.
    6. H200 High torque camshaft, followers, timing chain set.
    7. Competition specification composite head gaskets.
    8. High tensile non stretch head bolts and custom washers.
    9. Gaskets and seals to finish.
    It weighs in at close to GBP4.5K, but that's pretty good value actually. Certain other companies produce less and charge more. There is a 4 or 5 week wait.

Real Steel do a 5.0 RV8 stroker kit, but as with all these things, you'll find it will be pointless to do except where you end up with something similar to the above V8 Developments spec. Ideally, you should consider improving the heads as well, and Real Steel also do the Merlin heads cheaper than anywhere I've seen them in the UK. IIRC they are around GBP1.2K for a pair, but you will need to custom make a set of exhaust manifolds.

Not a hijack Andy, so no fears here mate
    Major issue with anything from the UK, especially a motor, is shipping!!
    If this little episode is going to cost too much, I will just cam it and call it good after a full rebuild/balance.
    Need to email D&D tomorrow when I hopefully have time and see what is commonly available over here.

Martin