Range Rovers Forum banner

2001 P38 Won't move/now wont start.

2K views 7 replies 5 participants last post by  Ferryman50 
#1 ·
Hi everyone, thanks in advance for any help or advice. After fixing the wipers on my 2001 P38 HSE 4.6l, I have run into a much bigger issue.

Ever since I bought it, after shutting engine off with key still in ignition, it would say "transfer neutral" on the message console. It would drive fine though no problem.

Well today, I go to start the RR and it started fine no problem, put it into drive and would not move in forward or reverse or any of the other gears. Then when I put it back in park, a nice grinding sound (little park locking thing I assume). Anyway, I figured it had something to do with the "transfer neutral" message from before, which is not currently on the message console.

SO, I pulled it out of where it was parked with the Jeep (in neutral!), then pushed it into the garage and tried to start it again, and no start. When turn the key, a loud clicking from starter solenoid area. Several dash lights come on, then off quickly with the clicking. Engine barely turns over (less than 8th turn of crank) Checked battery voltage, fine. Tried to jump, no effect. Checked electrical connections going to starter, all good. Did I do something wrong pulling/pushing it into the garage?? It will not start now :(

Kind of in pinch here because it won't start so I cannot diagnose the first issue. I love this truck and learning on it, but this is a little much!

Thanks again for any help!!

See less See more
#2 ·
The clicking is either a voltage issue (battery, connection, etc), a dead starter, or something is shorting out causing it to not start and the transfer neutral message.
Check the fuse block under the passenger seat, and connections at the Becm. Seems like the two are linked to me.
I would try to jump the starter to see if it wants to turn the rig over, with ignition off. That will rule that out

Martin

#3 ·
Make sure no one has put the fuse in, top right if I recall correctly, in the seat fusebox. That would put the gearbox in neutral. As LLT says, could be bad connections, or yourstarter has stuck,, maybe it's in between neutral and normal ? Check connections to XYZ switch on gearbox

#4 ·
+1 on above.
Once you find the loose cable, earth point, or terminal on the battery side of things and get it running, you can look at the transfer case issue.

When you fixed the wipers, did you notice that the fuse in the F11 position (Pretty sure on that) under the seat was missing, and being thorough, did you replace it? This is the transfer case to neutral fuse and it is for short distance towing. otherwise, it will do just as you describe. It should be missing.

#5 ·
Thanks for all the advice guys!

When helping the RR into garage, I used the jeep to push it and I think it may have triggered the fuel cutoff inertia switch, so I reset that and also did the reset where you disconnect battery, hold key in position 2. Then tried to jump it again and it started!

But it still wouldn't move, so I asked my brother to open up the side fuse panel, and there was good ol' number 11, a 10 amp. Which is odd because I do not remember putting that one in there. He pulled that and now the RR is fine.

Thanks again everyone!

#6 ·
Great result and an easy fix!!!!!!!!
Well done

Martin

#8 ·
In fact it's funny, something that does not work when fuse is in. Then again, eleven is the crazy number, the guys in Solihull did that on purpose!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.