Identify audio system
NEWS

1. Welcome to RangeRovers.net – General discussion forum for Range Rovers

Welcome to RangeRovers.net - a website dedicated to all things Range Rovers.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, Join RangeRovers.net today!

+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Identify audio system

FRESHMAN ROVER

Identify audio system

Hi,

I'm obviously new here, though I have been lurking here for quite a while. We recently bought a 1996 Range Rover, and have some problems with the audio, the drivers side speakers are not working unless you really crank up the volume.
    I've read a lot of topics here about the different P38 audio system. Is there any way to identify the system installed in my RR without having to pull the door card? The previous owner installed an aftermarket HU so I can't base it on the stock head unit.

Thanks in advance!

2. Remove Advertisements
    Range Rovers Forum
    Advertisements

Re: Identify audio system

Does it say Harmon Cardon on the tweeter on each front door panel? If so then you have the highline audio. if not then you a lower system.
    Have you ever listened to someone for awhile
    and wondered who ties their shoelaces for them?

As it has already an aftermarket HU it is probably not the system with the DSP amp in the boot, as it is not possible without an extensive hardwire change.
    If you pull the doorcard, in that case you will notice an individual amlifier in each door. If it is your HU at fault you can swap it with any HU that has a pre-amp output, I've had one from Sony in the past (in a different make of car). If that is going to work for front and rear or just front-stereo I don't know, marty_nz on here has done several writeups about changing the wiring. He knows all the ins and outs.
    Tony.
    2000 P38a 4.6 running on LPG
    ex Classic 3.9 Brooklands
    ex 3 other Classics to donor the Brooklands
    ex 109" Santana Cazorla (the Spanish lazy beast)

5. Remove Advertisements
    Range Rovers Forum
    Advertisements

FRESHMAN ROVER
    I've read about the dsp amps. I hope thats not the system i have! I will pull the door card and check if there is an amp in the door. Tweeter did not have HK on it. Not on the inside or on the outside.

Is it possible to not have the dsp amp, and not have separate door amps?

Quote Originally Posted by avdhulst View Post
    Is it possible to not have the dsp amp, and not have separate door amps?
    On the factory fit systems, no. You either have one or the other. Yours wont have DSP. It's too early. I'm pretty sure it appeared in '99.
    All bets are off about whether the door amps in yours are still there/ in use though. When the new head unit was fitted it could just have been direct wired to some or all of the speakers, bypassing the door amps completely.
    It could have been installed as Ferry says above, using the pre-amp out on the head to drive the door amps. If that's the case it'll most likely be quieter than standard with a nasty buzz as the door amps need to be driven with a "balanced" signal, which the pre-outs on the head aren't.
    The best way to install an aftermarket head is to drive the door amp via attenuators from the speaker outputs of the head. A search on ambler attenuator on here will bring up details.
    You're going to have to dig in and find out exactly what you have.
    EDIT- by the way, don't get too hung up looking for HK badges on speakers. You can still have a High End system without an HK badge in sight. My '95 HSE has 3 speakers in each front door, 2 in each rear door and a powered sub in the load area- all factory.
    Currently caring for (in order of attention demanded):

2002 4.6 Range Rover Vogue SE (A) LPG (Patience- back in the O.R.)
    1995 4.6 Range Rover HSE LPG (in remission)
    1974 Triumph TR6 (waiting for new workshop to be built)

2002 Daewoo Matiz (Really?! Family hack
    2002 Mazda Bongo Camper (another family hack)
    1987 ish RR Classic/ Defender/ S3 3.5i hybrid (sold)
    1976 Triumph Stag (restored/sold)

FRESHMAN ROVER
    I do have 3 speakers in the front doors, for as far as i can tell there's no sound coming from the right. Guess i'll have to pull the doorpanels when i have the time. I'll report back when i have more info.

+ Reply to Thread

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.