Range Rovers Forum banner

New guage cluster - new odometer reading?

2K views 4 replies 5 participants last post by  marty_nz 
#1 ·
So I'm looking at a P38 with interest in replacing the instrument cluster as the PO had installed a digital temp gauge which I'm not so fond of. If I understand correctly the BECM and the cluster store the current odometer reading. So if I replace the cluster and it new one has more mileage than what was stored in the BECM, the new mileage will be listed? Is that correct? The BECM will not override the new/used cluster reading? The higher value will be taken?

#3 ·
the becm will store the highest mileage it sees, thus if the replacement cluster has higher miles than your original cluster, then the becm will read and store it.
on the other hand if the replacement cluster has lower mileage, the becm will compare its own stored mileage and decipher the new unit has lower mileage, then it will proceed to upgrade the new cluster with the actual miles on memory.
it is a way of protecting it self from possible mileage fraud.

#4 ·
You could swap the PCBs over. The mileage is stored in one of the big chips and cannot easily be fiddled with. If you remove the 2kB EEPROM and flatten it back to all zeros, you'll get a BEEP "ODOMETER ERROR" on startup until either you sync the dashboard and BECM with a suitable diagnostic tool, or it takes it into its head to sync by itself.

#5 ·
In your position, I would get a replacement cluster (so you have all the gauges) and then swap the PCB from the back of the current one in the vehicle where the mileage is stored) onto the new cluster with the gauges (so you have new gauges with old PCB), then this will keep your current mileage.

Depending on how they've installed the digital temp gauge, you could possibly just remove the digital gauge, and any wiring, and then just swap the temp gauge from a replacement cluster back into where the digital gauge came out.

If I were doing it, I'd just swap the PCB's - its pretty quick to do (12 screws and a connector)

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.