cruise speed input signal
NEWS

1. Welcome to RangeRovers.net – General discussion forum for Range Rovers

Welcome to RangeRovers.net - a website dedicated to all things Range Rovers.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, Join RangeRovers.net today!

+ Reply to Thread

Thread: cruise speed input signal

FRESHMAN ROVER

cruise speed input signal

Hi, I dont know why in my 1998 4.6 p38, at connector c255 pn 20 there is no reading voltage (no 5v stationary no 3.5 v wheels turning, with ignition key in pos II). My speedo works fine, so the output signal from the Z108 (ABS ecu) pin 28 to the becm (road speed) is working.
    some ideas?
    The output signal from the becm connector 256 pin 16 (road speed to instruments pack) is the same (exactly the same) as the output signal from the becm connector c255 pin 20 (road speed to cruise control)? (both are yellow wires!!!, both are road speed signal....)
    thanks

2. Remove Advertisements
    Range Rovers Forum
    Advertisements

SOPHOMORE ROVER

Re: cruise speed input signal

It really needs an oscilloscope to check the signal properly. You might get away with an LED & Resistor to see the pulse with wheel turned by hand.

Something like this will easily do the job with a laptop.

FRESHMAN ROVER

thanks. But... easily with a laptop???? ....how???
    My idea was to connect then connector 256 pin 16 directly (via wire) to the connector c243 pin 11 (Cruise control ecu) instead of connect the from connector c255 pin 20 to the connector c243 pin 11..... what do you think??? may be i will cause a becm shortcut or fire some where???
    sorry for my poor english...

5. Remove Advertisements
    Range Rovers Forum
    Advertisements

SOPHOMORE ROVER

Simple first check is to unplug both connectors, and check the wiring for continuity end to end. While you're doing that also check the connectors for corrosion, and clean the contacts if required.

FRESHMAN ROVER

thanks, but remember i posted "I dont know why in my 1998 4.6 p38, at connector c255 pn 20 there is no reading voltage (no 5v stationary no 3.5 v wheels turning, with ignition key in pos II). My speedo works fine, so the output signal from the Z108 (ABS ecu) pin 28 to the becm (road speed) is working.
    some ideas?" ...then my real problem es that i dont have speed signal to the cruise control...

SOPHOMORE ROVER

Measurements of the speed signals using a multimeter are challenging at best. It depends a lot on what Averaging or RMS adjustments the multimeter actually does.

Also, many of the outputs in the P38 electrics depend on pull-up or pull-down resistors in the destination ECU, so often you need both connected for the measurement to work.

If your readings from BECM on "C255 Pin 20" and "C256 Pin 16" are "exactly the same" then surely both are working ? In this case the issue is either the Cruise ECU, or the wiring between this and the BECM.

If the readings from C255 & C256 are different, then the problem maybe the BECM, but is more likely to be a short in the Cruise ECU, or a bad connection in the wiring to the cruise.

In any case debugging pulsed waveforms really needs an Automotive Oscilloscope.

+ Reply to Thread

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.