Strange no start problem: Ghost in the machine?
NEWS

1. Welcome to RangeRovers.net General discussion forum for Range Rovers

Welcome to RangeRovers.net - a website dedicated to all things Range Rovers.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, Join RangeRovers.net today!
+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Strange no start problem: Ghost in the machine?

FRESHMAN ROVER

Strange no start problem: Ghost in the machine?

Hello all,

I have a 1996 4.6 which I've owned for about 6 months now. Parts replaced as of 3 days ago: New AGM Battery, New 8mm Wires, New Spark Plugs

The P38 started normally yesterday morning and I drove it to work. I tried to start it in the afternoon and it wouldn't turn over, the starter would not crank. I tried it a few times, and attempted to jump start it, to no avail. With Key in position 1, all lights are normal, and I can hear a relay clicking. With Key in position 2, I get nothing.

Had it towed over on a flat bed to my Indy, and as soon as it was unloaded, it started right up as usual TWICE in a row and I moved it a couple of feet and shut it off. I tried it again 2 minutes later, and nothing! Same symptoms as before.

When it doesn't crank, it makes no difference if the gearbox selector is in Park or Neutral, it still will not start.

Where to start please?
    Thank you,

Samer
    Current: 1996 P38 4.6HSE
    Sold: 1986 D110 CSW 5-Door

2. Remove Advertisements
    Range Rovers Forum
    Advertisements

FRESHMAN ROVER

Re: Strange no start problem: Ghost in the machine?

Is the lights in the dash (alternator, oil etc.) still lit when you turn over to crank? If so, your starter (relay, but it is a part og the starter) is proberly shot.

Best Regards
    Jakob

Sendt fra min SM-G900F med Tapatalk

Onboard an Ex RNLI 44 ft Motor Life Boat...Currently at large on the Coast of Tasmania

You would start by removing, cleaning and re tightening ALL of the large cables from the battery. to the starter as well as the block. Both Pos and Neg. There are any number of threads about this and an VERY good electrical sticky
    **INFO** Electrical Troubleshooting
    Print it out, follow it, and take notes.
    you will find the issue. It is a corroded earth most likely.....
    Of course it could be a duff starter, but do not buy one first. Check the connections.
    1952 Austin Champ (Hawaii)
    1953 Austin Champ (Australia)
    1985 Classic w/ Tdi300 (Australia)
    1999 4.6 HSE, White Gold "Stitch" (Wife's Daily Driver) Sold to a new enthusiast!
    2002 4.6 HSE, White "Bolt" Daily driver (Well, not right now, as I could not find a long enough snorkel)

5. Remove Advertisements
    Range Rovers Forum
    Advertisements

FRESHMAN ROVER

Quote Originally Posted by Svaneberg View Post
    Is the lights in the dash (alternator, oil etc.) still lit when you turn over to crank? If so, your starter (relay, but it is a part og the starter) is proberly shot.

Best Regards
    Jakob

Jakob: Yes the lights in the binnacle stay on. Are you referring to the starter relay in the fuse box, or do you actually mean the starter solenoid?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    Thank you,

Samer

FRESHMAN ROVER

Quote Originally Posted by Bolt View Post
    You would start by removing, cleaning and re tightening ALL of the large cables from the battery. to the starter as well as the block. Both Pos and Neg. There are any number of threads about this and an VERY good electrical sticky
    **INFO** Electrical Troubleshooting
    Print it out, follow it, and take notes.
    you will find the issue. It is a corroded earth most likely.....
    Of course it could be a duff starter, but do not buy one first. Check the connections.
    Thank you Bolt. Will do.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    Thank you,

Samer

FRESHMAN ROVER

The starter solenoid 😊. If you have a mate to help you, try to crank the engine while gently tap the solenoid with a hammer ☺☺

JUNIOR ROVER

The starter/ignition/charging circuit is really no different on a RR than any other older car. If you have voltage (enough) at the battery and at the starter and no crank, check the voltage to the solenoid. Should have 12V when you twist the key. If working by yourself, make a long wire to alligator clip to the solenoid wire at the starter and run up to the cabin. Monitor voltage while turning the key. If you have 12v+ at the battery and starter, 12v at the solenoid when hit the key, you should at least get some turn over. Nothing points to a dead starter. Slow turn would indicate not enough juice in the battery. RR's do love of healthy battery.
    '99 Range Rover HSE
    '02 Audi S6

FRESHMAN ROVER

Thanks all for the responses. It was the starter solenoid after all. We pulled the starter out and tested it, and it was the solenoid.

Swapped the starter, and all is good. The replacement starter cranks so much better with more "authority" if you will, which leads me to believe that it was weak and eventually on its way out, much like the solenoid.
    Thank you,

Samer

+ Reply to Thread

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.