2002 Range Rover - Alarm System enabled in very hot weather
NEWS

1. Welcome to RangeRovers.net General discussion forum for Range Rovers

Welcome to RangeRovers.net - a website dedicated to all things Range Rovers.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, Join RangeRovers.net today!
+ Reply to Thread

Thread: 2002 Range Rover - Alarm System enabled in very hot weather

FRESHMAN ROVER

2002 Range Rover - Alarm System enabled in very hot weather

I am having a problem with my 2002 RR in that the alarm system disables the vehicle in very hot weather (the vehicle has been parked in the sun for over 4 hours). The alarm system activates and I am not able to turn over the ignition without the siren activating. Has anyone else had this issue with interior heat of the vehicle causing the alarm system to disable the vehicle. I live in Texas and the summer weather can reach over 100 degrees daily. My only fix to this point is to open the hood and disengage the battery, with the alarm blaring I might add, to shut down the system and disable the alarm. Then the vehicle operates properly and the ignition turns over. I could use all truly helpful suggestions (I.e. moving out of Texas is not an option!). Thank you.

2. Remove Advertisements
    Range Rovers Forum
    Advertisements

Re: 2002 Range Rover - Alarm System enabled in very hot weat

Let's back up a bit here. OP: you say you are in Texas and have a 2002 L322?

For folks in the US we didn't get the L322 until the 2003 model year even though they were 2002 production. Do you have a 2002 P38 or a 2003 L322?

Same advice applies for both as it's a common issue across alot of LR products. In both cases you can just disconnect the sensor/switch to verify the issue. From their you can decide if it is worth the bother to replace it.
    How come "you're a peach" is a complement but "you're bananas" is an insult?
    Why are we allowing fruit discrimination to tear society apart?

FRESHMAN ROVER

The 2002 RR is a P38. Where would I find the hood alarm sensor switch? As stated before the issue is more that the engine is disabled by the heat and will not turn over. The siren is more of a nuisance until I open the hood and detach the battery. I still have to monkey around with the battery until I hear the passenger side door lock click open. The passenger door lock would not open when I use the key manually or remotely to open the driver side door. Then I am able to enter the vehicle and turn over the engine and be on my way. We are now 3 months into cool weather in North Texas and I have no issue with the vehicle starting on demand. It still sits in the same parking lot at work for over 4 hours. My thought is that the vehicle's interior heat of the summer is manipulating the on-board computer and disabling the engine. I will look for your response. Thank you in advance.

Moved to correct forum

The hood alrm sensor is part of the right hand latch. Usually an alignment will solve the issue or you can simply disconnect it.

FRESHMAN ROVER

Thank you. This still doesn't answer my biggest mystery. Is the interior heat during the summer causing the "engine disabled" warning/alarm to occur?

No, but it could be causing the hood to expand and open the switch! Have you tried just unplugging it? No need to bridge.
    Currently caring for (in order of attention demanded):

2002 4.6 Range Rover Vogue SE (A) LPG (Patience- on the operating table)
    1995 4.6 Range Rover HSE LPG (daily driver)
    1974 Triumph TR6 (restoring)

2002 Daewoo Matiz (Really?! Family hack
    2002 Mazda Bongo Camper (another family hack)
    1987 ish RR Classic/ Defender/ S3 3.5i hybrid (sold)
    1999 Fiat Punto (scrapped)
    1976 Triumph Stag (restored/sold)

That same thing happened when my drivers door latch went out. when you try to open it and the alarm goes off look at the dash and it will tell you what triggered the alarm. For me it was left driver door and the alarm was on I solved it by putting a new drivers door latch .
    1997 Range Rover 4.6 HSE
    1985 Chevy Corvette
    Nano Evolution II(fixes=4)
    1 SrS reset with nano
    2 SrS reset with nano
    3 P0183 changed fuel temp sensor OK
    4 P1179 cleaned maf with maf cleaner OK

FRESHMAN ROVER

Thank you both for responding. I will disconnect the sensor and eagerly await the hot summer days to see if this does the trick. It could also be the driver door latch since it has been giving me trouble of late.

If you know that your drivers latch has issues, why on earth are you waiting? Avoiding door latch issues is like begging for Lourde Lucas to infest your alarm system with gremlins. Instead of a quick fix for a latch issue you could end up with hundreds of dollars in BeCM unlocking and shipping costs paired with several days with a Rangie out of commission.

+ Reply to Thread

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.