Track Rod End Ball Joint
NEWS

1. Welcome to RangeRovers.net General discussion forum for Range Rovers

Welcome to RangeRovers.net - a website dedicated to all things Range Rovers.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, Join RangeRovers.net today!

+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Track Rod End Ball Joint

FRESHMAN ROVER

Track Rod End Ball Joint

Hi There, hope someone can help? I've searched the forum and 'think' I got answer but not 100% sure, want some reassurance before I order new parts. Failed MOT a few days ago for "Nearside front Track Rod end ball joint has excessive play". Checked some parts websites and thought you could repair either end of track rod with new threaded ball joint (some sell 4 ball joints as kit?). like other posts, I also couldn't find a good illustration of track rod in Rave CD, only basic on how to change track rod? (May be missing something)

Anyway, on removing track rod, it would seem one end has ball joint 'fixed' with the other end threaded, is this accurate? I've tried heat etc but don't believe it does come out? I had ordered a "NSF track rod ball joint" and supplier sent a threaded balljoint, I get the feeling they have sent OSF which does appear to be threaded and interchangeable.

I'd appreciate anyones help before I re-order part tonight.

Many thanks in advanse.

Alan

2. Remove Advertisements
    Range Rovers Forum
    Advertisements

Premium Member

Re: Track Rod End Ball Joint

On UK RHD, off side are fixed and near side are adjustable/removable. Don't mess about with sub-standard parts either. Spend the extra to get quality otherwise you'll be doing the same repair this time next year.

FRESHMAN ROVER

Thanks for taking time to reply Richard but I must be missing something?

I have UK RHD, I'm looking at rod now and OFFSIDE has the adjustent clamps/Bolts (2 clamps just down from end of ball joint thread), NEARSIDE has the balljoint going straight into rod with what appear to be factory/machine crimped ruts on rod?

SENIOR ROVER

Near side and offside always confuse me but both drag link and track rods have a short theaded tie rod end and a long rod with a crimped tie rod which is not removeable. I assume that the adjustable portion is also closest to the steering box for rhd. The set of 4 ball joints should be for the axle pivots. On this side of the ocean I grew up with tie rods [or heim joints] and ball joints were always the big ones for suspension travel and allowing the wheels to turn while the tie rods pushed or pulled the wheels to steer.
    2004 Epson green 112k miles few records latest diff folly also 1952 Hough payloader 1959 Nuffield 4DM
    2000 kent green 4.0 SE 180,500 miles and working EAS no service records prior to 121,900 and nov 06
    2003 GMC 1500 AWD window van 5.3 L love it in the snow & rain-anytime [on mich cross-terrains] 165 plus K miles.

Premium Member

Quote Originally Posted by Blue-Al

I have UK RHD, I'm looking at rod now and OFFSIDE has the adjustent clamps/Bolts (2 clamps just down from end of ball joint thread), NEARSIDE has the balljoint going straight into rod with what appear to be factory/machine crimped ruts on rod?
    I got my info via MicroCat which shows which way around they go in diagramatic form. I'll pop out to the beast just now and see for you. Do you want the part numbers or doyou have them.

FRESHMAN ROVER

Thanks for all your help. Got repair complete today, all good. For future post readers...UK RHD Track rod end LONG has the fixed/crimped/non removable ball joint on NEARSIDE. Short side where ball joint is removable and adjusters are OFFSIDE. (As mentioned in post, Steering wheel side)

Thanks again.

FRESHMAN ROVER

Quote Originally Posted by Blue-Al

I have UK RHD, I'm looking at rod now and OFFSIDE has the adjustent clamps/Bolts (2 clamps just down from end of ball joint thread), NEARSIDE has the ball joint going straight into rod with what appear to be factory/machine crimped ruts on rod?
    take the lower control arm off with the steering knuckle to come off. What I am thinking is that you can put like a socket or piece of pipe underneath and whack it with a hammer from the top to get out.

JUNIOR ROVER
    Tempe, Arizona, USA (Yet another Expat Brit with a Rover)

While you are at it, check your swivel joints for play. Mine caused both Track and Tie Rods to wear out.

I'm one of the cheap ones. I bought mine from Island 4X4 including the swivel joints cheap shipped to US. 20k miles later, they seems to be holding.
    Dinesh H
    1999 Range Rover 4.0S
    2001 Mercedes ML320
    1993 Mercedes 190e 2.6
    1985 Mercedes 190e 2.3
    1983 Mercedes 380SEC
    1974 FIAT Spider

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.