Is this 99 Range Rover with 153k miles a good deal?
NEWS

1. Welcome to RangeRovers.net Ė General discussion forum for Range Rovers

Welcome to RangeRovers.net - a website dedicated to all things Range Rovers.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, Join RangeRovers.net today!

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Is this 99 Range Rover with 153k miles a good deal?

FRESHMAN ROVER

Is this 99 Range Rover with 153k miles a good deal?

I just bought a 99 Range Rover that I found online. It has 153k miles on it. Known problems are: partial headliner sag, radio is locked out and I don't have the code, driver side door sensor not working (so the RR beeps that the door is open even when its really closed) and the sunroof is not working. It has the navigation dvd box on the passenger side, but the in-dash nav unit is missing.

I'm going to have an authorized Land Rover shop look it over this week. But I took it for a 10 minute test ride and it seemed ok. Good acceleration, no strange noises under hood and the gears shifted smoothly. There is some body roll but I suspect this is common to the brand and due to vehicle weight. The only leak I noticed was small amounts of water (could this be from AC?) after the test drive.

The exterior is CLEAN! No dents, dings or scratches. Under the hood looks clean too. Interior is good except for the dash board, some of the dashboard button icons and names are worn off, so I need the owners manual to decipher what the buttons do.

I paid $3900 for it. Is this a good deal? What's the life expectancy on this? How much should I expect to pay if I want it to last 5 years? I figure if it lasts for two years without major mechanical problems, it paid for itself. My main concern is the wear on it from the high mileage. Let me know if I got a raw deal. Your thoughts/comments are appreciated.

BTW, I expect to put about 10k miles (mostly city) a year on it. Maybe light trail driving once a year.

2. Remove Advertisements
    Range Rovers Forum
    Advertisements

FOUNDING MEMBER

Re: Is this 99 Range Rover with 153k miles a good deal?

First of all, Welcome aboard!! You'll get hooked on this site!!! Could you update your profile as to your location, it helps us with suggestions. Thanks.
    I thinks its a pretty good price. The headliner can be changed professionally for around $300.00, you can google about radio the code. The sunroof, its prob. the motor, you can get a second hand one on EBay and install it yourself same time you get the headliner done(Check the fuse first!) I would start looking for an independent Rover mechanic. Don't rely so much on dealers, they over-charge for most everything and don't always get it right.
    Good luck with your new acquisition!!!
    Keep asking questions, we'll get it fixed for you!!!
    Ex-R.R.C. 3.9 1994

FRESHMAN ROVER

Thanks Zubi. I'm already hooked. So much info here and everyone is very helpful. Its a real community.

I'm in south Orange County, CA. I'm no mechanic, but I'm a quick learner and I prefer to "do-it-myself" to save $$$ as much as possible. But I'm somewhat nervous about the mileage and the fact that its a 4.0 and the tailgate says 4.6. I hope I'm not getting an engine swapped vehicle. What's the average life expectancy of the 99 P38s?

SENIOR ROVER

Welcome to the site. Body work is very expensive so if yours looks good and you can maintain her then that is worth a fair bit. ie most won't know the year or mileage and you'll be happy while you appreciate her from a distance. Mechanically you will possibly have a lot to deal with, but not over the top due to availability of aftermarket fixes for several expensive systems the rangie has. Do you have the coffin or bunch of bananas under the hood. ie gems or bosch vintage. At any rate it will be very important to start replacing all the various lubricants and appropriate coolants. The cooling system is very important so read up on issues on what to do and then reread. You don't want to overheat the engine. The manual says to check fluids every 250 miles-do it or more often. Hopefully your inspection won't find contaminated oil or combustion products in the antifreeze. Is it the 4 or 4.6 L? Roof rack? Mint rims and tires? BTW we are hoping for 5 years or so also and have found mileage going up quicker than we thought because we really enjoy driving her. A few on here have gone over 10K on repairs in 2 or less years. So its hard to know until things happen. This is the best site to learn about diy repairs which will keep you able to keep it. Ours is my hobby [out of necessity] and diversion from regular work. Reading material on here will keep you occupied for numerous hours as well not to mention the search function. If you broke it now and had buyers for the good parts, inc body panels, you might come out even. Enjoy PS Ally V8 has stated that the 4.0 seems to be a smoother engine than the 4.6 and seems to put his money on it-he is most respected as you will soon see, so just a bit of good info. A local rangie guru mechanic her in T.O. has advised me that numerous 4L discos have topped 600,000 km on orig engines which yours has so there you go. Mantra. I will not overheat you...I will not drive you without checking fluids..I will replace suspect cooling system parts..I will burp your rad properly without breaking the rad nipple..I will...
    2004 Epson green 112k miles few records latest diff folly also 1952 Hough payloader 1959 Nuffield 4DM
    2000 kent green 4.0 SE 180,500 miles and working EAS no service records prior to 121,900 and nov 06
    2003 GMC 1500 AWD window van 5.3 L love it in the snow & rain-anytime [on mich cross-terrains] 165 plus K miles.

JUNIOR ROVER

Congrats on your purchase of a P38. First of all, you're in a good company as a member of this forum. Second, you're lucky that in Southern California there are lots of authorized and indie RR shops to choose from.

P38s in generally are relatively easy to work on. I'm not mechanically inclined myself, but through this forum, I've been able to replace stuff like abs booster, alternator, etc, etc through the help of fellow members from this site. Who knows how much I've saved, but certainly in the thousands.

As for your problems, first with the sunroof, if pushing the open/close button doesn't do anything, it's possible that the motor is dead, or possible that the previous owner purposely disconnected the power cable to the motor. You can easily find this by taking off the illumination panel, just in front of the sunroof. if the cable to the motor is disconnected, it's very possible that the guide pin for the sunroof is damaged. This appears to be a very common problem. But don't fret, worst case, you can buy an entire sunroof unit for like $800. Of course, if you fix the specific problem, it's going to be lot cheaper.

The NAV unit, are you saying that the screen is missing? If it is, I don't think it's worth replacing, as the NAV unit is so-so.

Anyway, enjoy!
    02 P38
    SoCal, USA

FRESHMAN ROVER

I would say that you will need to rebuild or replace the motor very soon.

Ask others how many miles they have gotton on there late model (RR 1996- 2002)?

The fact that it says 4.6 on the back of the truck and it is a 4.0 is an indication that the motor has already swapped out or they just but a the decal on the back.
    There should be a white sticker near the radiator that will tell you what the motor actually is.

I have a 1996 and have completely rebuilt the entire truck except for the transmission.
    Originally had a 4.0 I but a 4.6 short block in it. (you can see it on the For Sale area of this site)
    viewtopic.php?f=20&t=32134

You are looking at at least $1,000 to fix the issues that you posted so far.

This site will be invaluable for you.

Good Luck
    1994 Maroon Clasic (SWB) new (sold)
    1999 woodcote Disco New (sold)
    1996 black/tan 4.0 w/ 100,000 extended warranty approaching 150,000 miles
    blew motor 158,000 miles now it has a new 4.6

FRESHMAN ROVER

Thanks for all the info.

Mark your comments are concerning to me, yet appreciated. I was thinking too that the engine might have been swapped (the 4.6 and HSE decal on the back look "aged" as if they've been on the car a long time). The VIN lists the vehicle as a 4.0S. Does the VIN correspond to the vehicle as it was manufactured or to the type of engine currently in it. The Carfax report doesn't indicate any engine work, but I know that everything doesn't always appear on their reports.

I always viewed the engine as the "soul" of the vehicle. If this thing has been swapped once, and I'm looking at another engine change in the future, I don't think I'm ready for P38 ownership. I can deal with all the other mechanical issues, but I need something that is at least engine and transmission steady for the next 3 years. Since I haven't completed the purchase yet, I'm considering reneging on my agreement to buy from the seller.

FRESHMAN ROVER

If I were you I would not go thru the selling process.

At least I am telling people that I have rebuilt 4.6 short block with 17,000 miles on it.
    You need to ask why there is a discrepancy with the decal and the motor.

There are plenty of other RR out there to buy. Donít rush into this......

Good Luck

Mark
    1994 Maroon Clasic (SWB) new (sold)
    1999 woodcote Disco New (sold)
    1996 black/tan 4.0 w/ 100,000 extended warranty approaching 150,000 miles
    blew motor 158,000 miles now it has a new 4.6

JUNIOR ROVER

I agree with Mark. It sounds like it the original motor based on the VIN. You don't change the VIN when the motor is replaced. The fact the original motor with 153K on it given your goal of another 20K might could be achievable if the RR had been well maintained and treated well. But you have a list of things allowed to stop working and an incorrect decal on the back (replaced tail gate?). Most people that ignore these details also don't bother to change oil and filters or other general maintenance. This does not sound like a good candidate for high mileage. Just the mis-represented engine size out to be enough to justify backing out of the deal.
    If you really want reliable and cheap transportation, I would not recommend a Range Rover. They have a certain style and extraordinary capabilities that appeal to some and make owning them worthwhile. The only way they are inexpensive to operate is to do the maintenance and repairs yourself. I love my Range but I have signed up for the idiosyncrasies that go with it.
    '99 Range Rover HSE
    '02 Audi S6

FRESHMAN ROVER

Hear, hear..
    2006 L320 SC

FRESHMAN ROVER

So what's the experience like for most owners? It sounds like the P38 breaks down or requires mechanical servicing every 10-50 miles? I understand high maintenance vehicles and I'm cool with that, but now I'm having buyers remorse cause I have the impression that my rig will be in the shop at least 2-4 times per week. I can live with every six months, but not weekly servicing.

With those kind of averages, when can an owner expect to reliably drive it?

P.S., I'm taking offers for this.

SOLIHULL ROVER

Hi

Just asking where you get the info that it is supposed to be a 4.0 instead of a 4.6.

At the main dealer the print out for service on my car displayed it as 2.5 Diesel while in actual fact it is and always has been a 4.0. Check for the other differences between the 4.0 and the 4.6. Do you have the self dimming mirror, electric seats, self dipping mirror, vanity light at passenger side, extra reading light (means 2 lights per side) in the back, lights activated in the front ,back doors and the footwells when opening the door. All these features are 4.6 features and not present on my model. There might be differences in the markets where they supply the RR to, but ask around and you might find out it is the original engine after all.

As for mechanical problems I have had some but I have my car for nearly 7 years now. Overall changing the oil and filters is the most important maintenance and do not overheat the engine then it should be fine and last for another 100K Miles.
    On average I think I spend a 1000 US$ a year on parts and workmanship to maintain. But then workmanship is not so expensive in my part of the world and doing lots of things myself and buying some expensive parts cheap on ebay I have a stock of most expensive failure items so I will be able to repair cheap in case things really go wrong.

Good luck and do not worry too much.

Regards

Jos
    1995 RR 4.0 SE
    Fitted with replacement engine and gearboxes from 1997 4.0 SE.

FRESHMAN ROVER

Thanks Jos.
    I'm going to take it to West Coast Rovers for a general inspection. I'll let the guys there determine what's up before I take any drastic measures. I'm over my initial bout of buyers remorse (for now). For $3900 I got a tough a$$ SUV thats loaded with features. I really like the exterior styling too. Its got a "classic" look to it that I've always liked.

BTW, the Carfax VIN report on my rover lists it as 4.0s. It also says 4.0s on the engine cover. However, I have all of the amenities you mentioned and more. As soon as I figure out how to post pictures, I'll put some up. The only feature I'm missing is bluetooth and aux jack for my iPhone (obviously they didn't have those back in '99

If I got rid of this RR, the alternative for the price would be an economical Hyundai or Kia, and I know I would never, ever be happy in one of those. I like the prestige, power and capability of this RR.

SENIOR ROVER

Jos is right. Do not worry to much.Spend time on ebay to stockpile parts that may go wrong or will provide you a spare that you can change on your time. Look at our mileages and time frame. I only had it at the dealer to get daytime running lights enabled and to get a mechanical fitness cert. so I could changeover ownership. Since then its only been under our carport. I had to wait 2 weeks for a warranty airspring. From the far past 'take my name dammit' stated that initial ownership was like "walking on eggshells" but that will fade a little. Still want to hear results of your compression test and sniff tests if you continue with the purchase.
    2004 Epson green 112k miles few records latest diff folly also 1952 Hough payloader 1959 Nuffield 4DM
    2000 kent green 4.0 SE 180,500 miles and working EAS no service records prior to 121,900 and nov 06
    2003 GMC 1500 AWD window van 5.3 L love it in the snow & rain-anytime [on mich cross-terrains] 165 plus K miles.

I walked into mine knowing it had issues. It seems to get them slowly rather than sudden and catastrophically, which is nice. Chances are you will have things that progressively fail over time and with fair warning. They don't seem like there are a ton of things that can cause a catastrophic failure without warning. When the vehicle starts doing some strange things, that means something is about to or already going wrong. As mentioned before, never let it overheat, EVER! Mine has been indicating to me that it is getting hot when in fact it is not but, I am always scared to drive it even with the false readings. Most of the things that go wrong are usually easy to fix and just take some time, common sense, and grease, lots of GREASE (they leak, get used to it). Mine as 161k on it and is going strong with an original engine and transmission (a lot of things are original, I am kind of shocked that most of them still work great). It sounds a little rickety but, it runs and shifts smooth. I bought mine as a project car that will and has taught me a lot about working around cars. I actually have a Hyundai Santa Fe as my daily driver, it is a good vehicle and has never had anything wrong with it in almost 50k miles but, I do not get that same feeling I get when I drive the Range Rover. I got mine for a screaming $2700 . I still can't believe I got it for that much lol . I have dumped about $1300 into it so far, and counting . These vehicles are great and can be economical if you do the work yourself and do a fair amount of research. If you are like some owners who take it to the dealer for every little quirk, you will rack up a bill that will exceed the price you paid for yours in a month, so unless its dire don't take it to the stealer. However, try to relax and enjoy it, after all it is a Range Rover. Oh, and welcome aboard!
    A Land Rover doesn't leak! It marks its territory.

1996 Range Rover 4.0SE 167k Miles Epsom Green

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.