radio works but no sound. please help ! - Page 2
NEWS

1. Welcome to RangeRovers.net – General discussion forum for Range Rovers

Welcome to RangeRovers.net - a website dedicated to all things Range Rovers.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, Join RangeRovers.net today!

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: radio works but no sound. please help !

FRESHMAN ROVER

Re: radio works but no sound. please help !

Just pulled the battery and let it rest 5+ minutes. Reconnected and the dealer put in the radio code. still nothing. no sound.

In response:
    First I would put the correct fuse back in. The overated fuse may cause something to catch fire imo.
    -------- done. bought some 20 amp's and replaced it as it was. hasn't blown yet.

Check the integrity of the wiring as it may be a live wire has broken somewhere and is shorting out thus stopping the sound. I would hazard a guess and check behind the radio first and then check outfut wire feeds to the amps,
    -------- the power goes all the way to the amplifier in the back so i don't think that is an issue. anywhere specific you were thinking ?

Is yours Harmon Kardon?
    -------- yes
    2001 Black 4.6 HSE. 101k miles as of 01/2009. Converted to coil springs by PO.

2. Remove Advertisements
    RangeRovers.net
    Advertisements

FOUNDING MEMBER

I had the same symptoms with mine. It would not play radio, tapes, CDs, SatNav or the handfree telephone system. I would get a SatNav disc to check if the SatNav system is working and voice commands are played. If not then the amp or wiring downstream of the amp must be suspect - this is because the SatNav connects directly to the HK DSP amp for voice commands and not via the head unit.

Firstly though, I would pull the head unit and just rig up a temporary power feed on the ISO connector (remove all other plugs/connectors) and check each audio channel output with a 'gash' speaker (from old radio or similar) just to ensure that there is an output on each channel. If OK then reconnect the ISO connectors only and check it out - if still 'no go' then it just has to be the amp or downstream wiring.

Check each of the speaker wiring pairs from the amp to check that one is not earthing and pulling the amp output down. Then check each speaker in turn to check that they are all working - need that old radio again, or similar, with external speaker outputs - or break directly into the radio speaker wires. If all is well downstream then it looks like the amp has gone, which was precisely the (very expensive) problem with mine. I note you have had the amp checked out but did they fully load the amp on all channels when testing it? I would rig up a temporary audio input directly into the amp from a known good radio just to check the amp in situ.

Good luck.
    2001 Vogue . . . . . . and, yes, I do own the road!

FRESHMAN ROVER

ok, i pulled the head unit and tested it to a 'dummy' speaker . . . and it works. and i also checked the wires (what i could see obviously) around both the radio and the amp and there are no breaks, rips, snags, splices, etc. so, basically, the only thing left is that it has to be the amp. even though a professional repair shop tested it and said it was fine, no signs of corrosion, etc. i guess there are no other options.

i will debate my choices of:
    1) find a used amp (this has proved very difficult thus far. i have made 50+ calls to salvage shops, junkyards, etc and no luck)
    2) buy a new amp for roughly $700 (and pray that the amp is the problem, lol). also, if i want the nav to work, i will have to buy a new one of those at $1700 since i currently have the white screen of death
    3) remove the stereo, the navigation screen, and possibly the clock, and have a new, super-cool, aftermarket stereo system installed completed with 2008-9 technology, dvd nav, dvd player, with a 6.5 inch touchscreen

decisions, decisions

Have you tried the ´MUTE`button on the head unit?
    Just a thought.
    1998 Autobiography 4.6 V8 of course

FOUNDING MEMBER

It could well be your SatNav system is the problem and is upsetting the amp. Before acquiring a new amp try taking the SatNav system out of the equation - remove power to the nav computer - and see if the audio system recovers.
    2001 Vogue . . . . . . and, yes, I do own the road!

FRESHMAN ROVER

there is no mute button on the head unit. the button on the steering wheel is 'mode' not 'mute'

i already took out the sat nav computer about 10 posts ago.

any other ideas ?

SOPHOMORE ROVER

Are you able to check the integrity of the wiring with a meter?

I stillthink it's either a broken wire or a dead short somewhere (fuse issue from before)

It will be long winded but worth it in the end. Try a UK Breaker for the amp. I'm sure someone will send you one over (Although that doesn't seem the problem).

Am I right in thinking the BECM has something to do with the radio as well?
    http://s23.photobucket.com/albums/b3...geroverpic.jpg [img]
    Now 1999 2.5 DSE same as above. Plus a 2007 TDV8 Vogue SE with all the toys!

JUNIOR ROVER

Just to clear something up, you all talk of not having a "mute" button, well i dont either, on the steering wheel i have mode, then channel change, and the 2x volumes, no mute!

so is there a mute button? does one of the wheel buttons if help work as a mute? my sterio display actually said "mute" when this happened so it must have this ability bu i dont know how to do it from the buttons when needed!

edit, il go look at the owners manual, lol, or RaVE, lol
    4.6HSE lpg, single box de-cat exhaust, K+N, Koni's
    http://i211.photobucket.com/albums/b...urespit001.jpg

FRESHMAN ROVER

Are you able to check the integrity of the wiring with a meter?
    ----------- i cheked the wiring going into the amp with a 6/12 volt meter, and the 3 prongs that are supposed to be getting power are receiving it from the head unit. on the other side, the output prongs, lots of them are getting power (there are two rows each of about 18 prongs) and i would say that 13/18 are getting power. i don't know where/how to do more checks.

Try a UK Breaker for the amp. I'm sure someone will send you one over (Although that doesn't seem the problem).
    ----------- i tried, no luck. will keep trying. a major issue is that this amp was only used in 2001, the 2000 was a different amp and i am pretty sure that the 2002 was different too. makes it very tough.

Am I right in thinking the BECM has something to do with the radio as well?
    ----------- not sure. how would i check ?

SOPHOMORE ROVER

Just found this body control unit
    Re: More of the same gremlins
    by sroeb on Tue Jul 01, 2008 11:47 pm

Kinda sounds like this from Rover's TSB (TEC860704 041028 Electrical - Warning Lamps/Various System Malfunctions) but, before you go this route I'd suggest some professional assistance since this may, or may not be the issue...

Electrical - Warning Lamps/Various System Malfunctions
    No: 86/07/04/NAS
    Ref:
    Issue: 1
    Date: 28 October 2004

False BCU Input Signal

AFFECTED VEHICLE RANGE:

Range Rover (LM) up to 4A162652

SITUATION:

FALSE BCU INPUT SIGNAL

A false input signal to the Body Control Unit (BCU) can result in a series of symptoms (hazard lamps flashing, doors unlock, radio goes mute and the interior lights illuminate). An electrical spike within the internal electrical circuits may be the cause of the problem.

RESOLUTION:

REPLACE AND CONFIGURE THE BCU

Should a customer complain of these symptoms, replace the BCU and configure the new unit using T4.

PARTS INFORMATION:

YWC000922......BCU Qty 1

DDW WARRANTY CLAIMS: DDW requires the use of causal part numbers. Labor only claims must show the causal part number with a quantity of zero.

Normal warranty policy and procedures apply.
    Material allowance is included in labor operation.

REPAIR PROCEDURE

1. Connect T4 to the vehicle and load disc Range Rover 14 or a later version.

2. Begin a new T4 diagnostic session and perform the following observing all on-screen instructions:

^ Select "System Diagnostics"

^ Select "Security"

^ Select "Vehicle Maintenance"

^ Select "ECU Renewal"

Select "Body Controller"

NOTE :GTR lookup sequence is as follows:
    GTR Home > NAS > Service Information / LM New Range Rover/2004 > Workshop Manuals > RR WSM Service Procedures > Bookmark "CONTROL UNITS AND RELAYS/REPAIRS/Body Control Unit (BCU)" > Section 86.55.75

^ Refer to GTR section 86.55.75 and when prompted by 14 follow the procedures to replace the Body Control Unit.

^ Configure the new BCU with T4.

3. After the BCU has been configured, program the remote handsets.

4. End the diagnostic session and return to the "Welcome" screen.

5. Disconnect T4 from the vehicle.
    As an aside.

Regarding the mute issue. What happens if you press and hold the "mode" button? Anything? Just wondering if it doubles as a mute?

SOPHOMORE ROVER

Reading this is making me wonder if something (I know already suggested) in the sat nav has gone wrong and is muting the radio. If it can be done for bluetooth it must be the same on the nav
    bluetooth

SOPHOMORE ROVER

Read throught this. Definately pointing sat nav way

sat nav issues

FRESHMAN ROVER

just took my car to a really cool custom audio shop here in chicago. the professional hooked up a bunch of testing equipment to my car and confirmed that my head unit is 100% functioning properly. he also said that the amp seems to be working. when using the testing equipment it seems like the amp kicks on, then immediately shuts off. he said it is shutting off because it is probably going into 'protect' mode because (drumroll please) there is one or more blown speaker(s).

so, i am going to bring it to him on monday morning and he is going to check the amp outfeeds to each speaker individually to pinpoint which speaker is giving trouble. ideally, i will have him cut the wires that lead to that speaker and just run the system less one speaker and hopefully that will fix the issue. i will update monday afternoon. have a good weekend all. thanks for the posts.

FRESHMAN ROVER

replace the BCU ? i looked but can't find the part

FRESHMAN ROVER

is the blue amp wire connected?