Range Rovers Forum banner

Radius arm bushes and tool

5K views 9 replies 5 participants last post by  petef 
#1 ·
for those who need to change your bushes, autodata give the remove and install time as 1hr50min per side!:-?, yep we all know thay done this on a brand new rr in a compleate workshop!`),well ordered a set and found out thay are poly outers, so phoned mate who spent half his life working on rr's, he told me thay were a pain to do if you havent got the tool!,said that its not impossible but its easy to distroy the new bush.so asked around and got the tool from another mate, there are 3 peices,it took me longer to get the arm out then to change the bushes!!, with the tool i beat the old out and useing copper slip beat the new ones in useing copper mallit, the tool has a central locating pin so you cant get it wrong!, you dont need to even use a press!`8),

#4 ·
got waylaid building a shed so no work on the car today after all === don't mind having to buy the tool especially as Brookwells is a lot less expensive but is it really required --- last set of polybushes i fitted to my scimitar i used a length of threaded bar thick (wheelbearing) spacers nuts and dragged them in

#5 ·
Scimitar Light Tank or Reliant ?! :)
Many different opinions on what to use to remove/ fit. On other cars, I've also used the threaded studding and large washers/ sockets for the straight bushes and torched out the old ones, but the RR ones are tapered (hence the need for the tool to compress them to the correct profile). The OP said he welted them in with a copper mallet. A press or large vice and a lot of welly will do the trick

#6 ·
You can fit these bushes without the tool. I have many times. Only replace with genuine bushes. Any other ones will have you back in there many times!
With the old bushes removed take a dremel tool with a sanding barrel and bevel the edge of the hole on the radius arm about 3mm. Do the same with the bush but be careful as it is only plastic.
Take 4 pipe clamps from your local hardware store and place them on the bush. One within 5mm from each end of the bush and other two evenly space in the middle. Tighten them as tight as you can.
Now place the beveled end of the bush into the radius arm with some grease on the bush bevel.
As the bush is pressed in it will hit the first pipe clamp. Remove the clamp and continue pressing in the bush. Repeat as the next clamp hits the radius arm. I used a 12ton press for this so I have no idea how it will work with threaded rod type install. Good Luck!

#7 ·
I used the special tool for this job recently. As for using a press, I believed the hype of "you need at least a 20 ton press and some needed a 50 ton press to shift their's....". My newly bought 20ton press pushed them out and never got above 2 ton on the dial! IMHO I think threaded bar could do the job. Still at least I have a shiny 20 ton press. You can never have too many tools for the job I say! `)

#8 ·
tool arrived today - now for me to be the 'tool' - bearing ''stored'' in the garage being 'kept safe' ie I can't find the box its in... so I can't marry the 2 up tonight I understand the bit about the 'pin' being used to centralise on the inner ie bolt hole of the bush but why the 2 'plungers' gonna look stupid I know when someone enlightens me :oops:

#9 ·
Ring to squeeze the bush down to size, small plunger set in the bottom of the ring to keep the bush square as it pushed through and the large plunger to actually push the bush through. That's how I did mine though someone else may chip in to prove I did it wrong....:?

#10 ·
ok, this is how we used the tool,the disc with the short spindal was used to beet the old out with a copper mallit used the tapered clyinder underneath arm with widest bit up,wonce out cleaned the hole with emery, coat the inside with copper slip,place arm on flat serface place disc with long splindle in hole spindle up,place cylinder on top of arm narrow end down,copper slip bush and place bush into wide end of cylinder, place short disc spindle into bush and beat down,when the spindles meet remove the long spindle disc out from under the arm, then suport the arm on 2 blocks of wood underneth, ether side of the hole,use a large socket on top of the short disc and cary on beeting in, carfull not to beet to far!, probely took me longer to write this then to do the job!, can use press but found it easyer on the floor, that arm is heavy!!`)

pete

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.