How to enter Radio Code
NEWS

1. Welcome to RangeRovers.net – General discussion forum for Range Rovers

Welcome to RangeRovers.net - a website dedicated to all things Range Rovers.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, Join RangeRovers.net today!

+ Reply to Thread

Thread: How to enter Radio Code

FRESHMAN ROVER

How to enter Radio Code

I have a '97 LRRR 4.0 SE and the radio died. I pulled the radio to check the fuse but all is ok. I got the radio code from a LR dealer. Dealer suggested I disconnect neg. battery terminal for a few minutes, reconnect and enter code. So, I disconnected for 5 minutes and turned on the radio to enter the code but all I have is a lit blank screen. The radio/cd will play for 2-3 minutes when I press the On and BND buttons together but then shuts off leaving a lit blank screen again. When the radio/cd is on there's a beep about every second. With the screen blank there's no indication when to enter the code. I know this sounds confusing but is there anyone who can suggest how to properly reset everything so I can enter the code?

Thanks in advance for any help.

2. Remove Advertisements
    Range Rovers Forum
    Advertisements

Re: How to enter Radio Code

when i replaced my battery, the radio displayed "code" on the display when turned on.
    if your is playing a cd etc, even for a minute, something else is wrong. mine wouldnt do anything until it got the correct code.
    i fear its not the code that is upsetting the cart here.....

martin
    '98 P38 HSE, with a 6.0 liter LSx and 4L60E transmission, fully functional EAS, HVAC etc.
    '03 L322 HSE Bone stock, besides XM.
    '98 XJ Locked, geared, plated and on 37's.
    Custom fabrication, engine rebuilds and knowledge that comes from experience and not Google, always available for a reasonable cost.
    Reliable BECM repairs, and EAS Parts....www.becmdoctor.com

FRESHMAN ROVER

Unorthodox I know, but take it out of the car, put it in a SEALABLE bag and bung it in the freezer overnight.

Take it out of the freezer, leve it in a warm dry place for a few hours then put it back in the car. it should fire up as normal.

The person who told me this couldn't tell me why but it does 'break'the code'. To be honest, I haven't had to try this with my RR head unit but it worked on an old Alpine I had in the Merc.
    '98 4.6HSE Cosworth
    BiGas sequential LPG & Mark Adams chips
    Love it!

Quote Originally Posted by Dorian
    Unorthodox I know, but take it out of the car, put it in a SEALABLE bag and bung it in the freezer overnight.

Take it out of the freezer, leve it in a warm dry place for a few hours then put it back in the car. it should fire up as normal.

The person who told me this couldn't tell me why but it does 'break'the code'. To be honest, I haven't had to try this with my RR head unit but it worked on an old Alpine I had in the Merc.
    i will be extremely interested in the results of this trick!

OP, keep us posted!

martin
    '98 P38 HSE, with a 6.0 liter LSx and 4L60E transmission, fully functional EAS, HVAC etc.
    '03 L322 HSE Bone stock, besides XM.
    '98 XJ Locked, geared, plated and on 37's.
    Custom fabrication, engine rebuilds and knowledge that comes from experience and not Google, always available for a reasonable cost.
    Reliable BECM repairs, and EAS Parts....www.becmdoctor.com

FRESHMAN ROVER

Ok, I know we are gullible Yanks but this sounds hilarious. None the less, I'll give it a try and let you know if it works.

FRESHMAN ROVER

Quote Originally Posted by vjm530

Ok, I know we are gullible Yanks but this sounds hilarious. None the less, I'll give it a try and let you know if it works.
    UPDATE: It's in the freezer as we speak. (I can't believe I'm doing this) Next update in 12-14 hours.

FRESHMAN ROVER

UPDATE: It's in the freezer as we speak. (I can't believe I'm doing this) Next update in 12-14 hours.
    This strange and unorthodox (tongue in cheek) method did not work for me. Any other suggestions?

FRESHMAN ROVER

Any suggestions from anyone on how I can get the 'Code In' screen to materialize? There must some sequence of radio buttons that is preventing access to the screen. After disconnecting the battery and reconnecting, pulling the radio and reconnecting, all I get is a blank lit screen that beeps (for a code) when I press the 'On' and 'BND' buttons at the same time which allows the radio/cd tp play. This lasts for 2 minutes and then shuts off leaving a lit blank screen again. I don't think there's anything wrong with the player. The key is getting the screen to show 'Code In' so I can re-enter the Code for activation before the 2 minutes are up. At least that what it seems after all the options I have tried.

FRESHMAN ROVER

Had my battery out this morning, (long story - another time).

Reconnected battery and started car. switched on radio normally, not with the BND button down. Got 4 dashes and just tapped in the code and bingo!

Best of luck
    '98 4.6HSE Cosworth
    BiGas sequential LPG & Mark Adams chips
    Love it!

FRESHMAN ROVER

Hi,
    have you tried pushing and holding the buttons BND and MAN (the one between the arrows) for about three seconds?
    Regards, Korkut

FRESHMAN ROVER

are u even sure that the LCD even works? could be only the light is working

FRESHMAN ROVER

Quote Originally Posted by monase
    No, I don't know but shouldn't I be able to punch in the Code since that is the default position when you turn on the radio? I thought the LCD is just for 'indication' of what is being read at the moment . . . or?

Thanks for your help.

FRESHMAN ROVER

Quote Originally Posted by kork
    Hi,
    have you tried pushing and holding the buttons BND and MAN (the one between the arrows) for about three seconds?
    Regards, Korkut
    Thanks Kork. It worked. The LCD does not show (must be burned out) but I pressed both that you mentioned, punched in the Code and it plays. The LCD doesn't show anything but at least the radio/cd plays which is all I need at the moment until I can find a reasonably price replacement unit. Thanks again from across the globe.

FRESHMAN ROVER

Quote Originally Posted by monase
    Everything is working great now but looks like the LCD is out like you suggested. Do you know if this is replaceable and how to fix it w/o sending it out for $200?

I have a '97 LRRR 4.0 SE and the radio died. I pulled the radio to check the fuse but all is ok. I got the radio code from a LR dealer. Dealer suggested I disconnect neg. battery terminal for a few minutes, reconnect and enter code. So, I disconnected for 5 minutes and turned on the radio to enter the code but all I have is a lit blank screen. The radio/cd will play for 2-3 minutes when I press the On and BND buttons together but then shuts off leaving a lit blank screen again. When the radio/cd is on there's a beep about every second. With the screen blank there's no indication when to enter the code. I know this sounds confusing but is there anyone who can suggest how to properly reset everything so I can enter the code?

Thanks in advance for any help.
    save youre self the worries! get an after market radio!! i did for my 1998 range rover and been happier then a pig eatin bacon!!