Range Rovers Forum banner

Rear Differential up front

2K views 5 replies 3 participants last post by  Cliff 
#1 ·
hey guys thanks for all your help. Does anyone see any problems (strength or otherwise) in installing a stock rear differntial in the front?

#2 ·
Cliff said:
hey guys thanks for all your help. Does anyone see any problems (strength or otherwise) in installing a stock rear differntial in the front?
None that I can think of. Early rear diffs are stronger than fronts as they are 4-pin diffs. Early fronts (without ETC on the front) were only 2-pin.

Ron

#4 ·
Cliff said:
Apparently the 1999 HSE (4ETC & Bosch) didn't come with a 4 pin carrier upfront either.
Ahh, I've just had another look at the parts catalogue and it seems the axle housing (case) changed at the time of the diff change VIN XA410482 so I may well be wrong about interchangeability.
Also the 4-pin front and rear diffs are different part nos.

Sorry! :oops:

Ron

#6 ·
I've been told using the rear R&Ps upfront does not result in a great loss in strength or will be an area of breakage??

Any thoughts,

Also, I've been told that there is only one differential assembly avaliable from LR now, (the Rear) and that it is directed for use in both front and back?

Has anyone heard if this is the case all over the world?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.