Range Rovers Forum banner

**HOW TO** Add Bluetooth to factory headunit 99MY+

23K views 30 replies 16 participants last post by  Atticus 
#1 ·
I wanted to add Bluetooth functionality to my p38a Range Rover, but didn't want to replace the entire head unit unless I had to do so. As there seems potential issues with the steering wheel controls and if it has the additional harman/kardon amplifier in the boot/trunk.

Please take this information at face value, I cannot guarantee the accuracy of any of it, nor am I affiliated with any of the companies.

General info:

My research has lead me to understand that there are two main radio options on the 99+ model year p38a's. I believe they are both Alpine units. The difference I know of, is one is a 'premium' system and has a sub and amp in the trunk, while the other doesn't.

In order to get Bluetooth you will need a CD changer capable headunit and steering wheel controls. If you don't, then you'll need to research yourself on what options you have.

My head unit looks like this:

The 'premium' version is likely to say harman/kardon on the door tweeters:

And should have a CD changer in the boot, along with a sub and amp:

At the CD changer end, there is a unique plug, or at least a plug I could not ID. You will not be able to plug in a Bluetooth unit in the boot, you'll need to access the back of the head unit.

Specifics about the Bluetooth kit:

The Bluetooth unit is from a company called Grom.

Main USA site: http://gromaudio.com/
UK site: http://gromaudio.co.uk/

Grom sell a number of units, however in simple terms they all simply replace the CD changer on an older stereo. The headunit will still think it is playing a CD, but the input will becoming from the Grom unit. They offer a unit that uses UBS if you prefer to use a USB stick/dongle. And other alternative connection methods that require plugging in via a cable.

I opted for the simple Bluetooth one, as it doesn't require you to physically plug in anything. This should work fine for iPhones, iPods and Android phones/tablets.

Specifically I purchased the current version called the Grom-BT3. Although I'm sure as they update it the model number may change.

For the Alpine headunit in the p38a you'll want the Grom kit that comes with the blue "Rover" or "RVR" style audio plug:
http://gromaudio.co.uk/products/blu...bmw-mini-rover-bluetooth-integration-kit.html

See less See more
#2 ·
Re: Adding Bluetooth to factory head unit - guide 99+ p38a's

Installation:

First you need to remove the headunit. There are special tools for this, but I found they where hard to buy online in the UK.

NOTE: Universal stereo removal keys do not have the right key for this headunit.

An alternative is to get two Jigsaw blades (the slightly longer ones). Push one blade into each of the slots on the front of the headunit and gently pull it out from the tape deck opening.

On the back of the headunit there is a blue plug. This is the cable that goes to the CD changer in the boot. Unplug it carefully and tuck the wire back down inside the dash, there is no need to remove this wiring. And means you can reverse this installation if you choose to do so.

The blue plug on the Grom cable should match and plug directly into the head unit:

Before refitting the headunit, test the Grom is working.

Using your chosen Bluetooth device, an iPhone 6 Plus in my case. Simply scan and pair with the Grom:

NOTE: If you press the CD button on the headunit it will say 'NO DISC'. This is why you need steering wheel controls. Press the Mode button and the display should change to "CD1-01" And if you play music from your device it should now being coming through the Range Rover's speakers.

Assuming it is all working, you can now locate the Grom. Personally I had no intention of using the external ports on the Grom, but if you do, then you may want to site it somewhere else. I found there is ample room behind the headunit. I located the Grom on the lower left hand side, so that it left room the loop the wiring over it.

I did install the microphone so that I can make and receive calls using it. I fed the microphone out the side of the back of the radio cavety and behind the panel under the steering wheel. I moved the 4 screws that hold the panel under the steering wheel, so as to give a little wiggle room, but removed no trim.

To feed the mic through, I got a long cable tie (zip tie), about 8-10" long. And fed it from the footwell into the radio compartment. Then using a small cable tie I attached the mic to the large one and simply used the large cable tie to pull the mic through the dash to my desired location.

You should now be able to refit the head unit by sliding it back into the dash until it clicks.

Operation:

As noted earlier, to switch between radio and the Grom you must use the 'Mode' button on the steering wheel. The headunit and steering wheel mounted track advance buttons should work as they would with a CD and all other headunit functions for sound control should be unaffected.

The display will not show any extra information than it would with a CD. I have two play lists on my iPhone. But the display only ever reads CD1. And whatever track you start with always seems to be listed as track 1. If you manually advance a track, the track number changes. If you let a song end and the next start, then for some reason the track number doesn't change. Personally I don't have a problem with this, as the track information is displayed on the iPhone anyhow. And to start listening to music you'll need to hit play on the Bluetooth source device (i.e. your phone).

If your phone rings, then it should ring through the speakers and on answering the phone will let you use the mic and car speakers for calls. I found I had to play with the audio volumes to try and balance these out. The call voice volume I found to be lower than the music volume. So I now set my iPhone to half volume while connected to the Grom. And this seems a good starting point.

#5 ·

Hi do your grom bt3 also included with aux in and usb slot for playing the music files? And do the cd changer couldn't operate anymore adter you have installed the grom? Thanks anywayay
I put in the non bluetooth Grom, and love it!
I did however wish to have the ability to use the CD changer, so I installed an 8 position rotary switch I found in the junk drawer here, so I can select which device I play from.
As the power to the Grom does not really need to be switched, the same thing could be done with an 4 position double throw toggle switch.
Great post. thanks!

G
#4 ·

no, if the GROM is installed, the CD changer is disconnected and can no longer be used

The way I read his story, especialy the part about locating the device, the GROM unit does have physical inputs as well

#7 ·

300bhp/ton great writeup! Can you add where you purchased the Grom, part number, and price?
Thank you

#10 ·
#13 ·

Thanks to the OP I successfully installed this in my P38. Works great, don't miss the CD. I do wish I had the amount of slack in the connections that the pictures show. Mine were so tight I had to disconnect the plugs at the point they exited the opening. No way could I pull the unit out that far. Wonder if somebody had stuff apart at some point and fastened wires that should not have been fastened?

#14 ·

It's actually fairly common for the radio harness to be tangled up in the ground location behind the HVAC. I've unwrapped dozens of harnesses on the wrong side of that dang thing. I have found it is the Rovers that have had dash work done that had better slack because someone beat me to the poor routing done at the factory.

#16 ·
just bumping this old thread to say again how awesome the Grom find was. I installed it last night and everything works perfectly.

One note I do want to mention is that, if your original harness has never been touched, the blue plug will not come out by itself. You'll have to treat the blue/green/yellow plugs as one plug and then separate the blue from green. You'll also have to remove the antenna and nav plugs in order to have enough room to remove the plugs.

#18 ·
I did a lot of research and this Grom solution seemed to fit the bill..... easy for me to do and great for upgrading to bluetooth and hands free phone. I have a 2000 Range Rover with Alpine radio (premium with CD changer) but also have a separate factory installed GPS system. Just before I ordered the Grom BT3 I read that it is compatible with Alpine radio and no Nav so I wrote Grom and they said they have not compatible units for me. So it seems that I need to go the route of adding a GPS/bluetooth/hands free phone unit. Any suggestions on a "simple" way to do this. I can follow instructions but not too knowledgeable about electronics in detail. I was a software guy not hardware..... Appreciate insights Don

#20 ·
Grom are wrong, the BT3 unit will work with a system with nav. There was a discussion a year or so ago and nobody could work out why it shouldn't work so one person bought one to try it and found it works perfectly.

Reactions: P38Whitegold
#22 ·
Thanks for the clarification on the Grom... It definitely sounds a lot easier to do.... Any regrets not having a combined GPS/radio/bluetooth solution if there was an easy way to go..... I assume you are using your phone for all the functionality that would be built in....

#25 ·
Hiya dt95aac

Remember Boutros Boutros-Ghali?

Sec-Gen of the UN.

The joke was: What did Boutros Boutros-Ghali get for Christmas?

An extra Boutros.

What will we give you for Christmas?

Another P38. You only have four. That's nowhere near enough.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.