Range Rovers Forum banner

Anyone had any luck fitting Bluetooth via the CD port?

7K views 17 replies 9 participants last post by  MartinD 
#1 ·
I'd like to add the ability to stream music from my iPhone via Bluetooth. I keep reading conflicting views on replacing the head unit and in any case they all sound like more work than unplug old one, plug in new on. Not to mention you'd need some kind of fascia panel to make it look right.

However I've seen this:
http://www.xcarlink.co.uk/

And this:
http://gromaudio.com/

Which if I'm understanding it right, simply plugs in place of the CD changer. And gives you USB and/or Bluetooth connectivity with the existing head unit, it basically thinks it's a CD, but it isn't.

However one company (Grom) seem to be USA based, which isn't much help in the UK unless they ship to the UK that is. But neither companies list compatibility with the p38a.

I've emailed them both, but not had any reply yet. So was wondering if anyone had done something similar to their p38a?

#5 ·
I appreciate any help and replies. And yes you did post, but it was hardly "thoroughly", if it was I'd hardly be asking for more info would I? And I'm not sure it deserves a ****ty response in this thread.

Here is your post:

I've installed a GROM USB 2plus with the bluetooth receiver option.

Connects in to and replaces the CD changer plug at the back of the head unit.

It plays usb stick and which is overridden when you play via the bluetooth connection or receive a phone call.

No need to touch the headunit at all except to plug the unit in
I also replied to you in that thread asking for more info or a link to the item.

For the record, I've Googled Grom:
http://gromaudio.com/

But without first hand knowledge of their products I found their site a little overwhelming, as I don't know if their units are generic or if they are tailored for different vehicles, meaning you have to buy a specific one. The Range Rover not being listed on their site, hardly helps. And for the record they don't list "USB 2plus" although I would assume the USB3 is the current version.

And as per my op, I also emailed them. I have since had a reply:

"Thank you for expressing interest in GROM Audio.
I am sorry to say but your vehicle is not compatible with any of our GROM units currently."

Now, I would really appreciate any help you can offer. Such as, did you have to buy anything specific to make the Grom work? i.e. if I bought the USB or BT version, would I need any specific cables?

This is kind of important, as I haven't found a UK sellers of these, so buying it from the USA I'd want to get all I need in one go.

And which one do I buy, have a look here:
http://gromaudio.com/store/usb_adapters/index.html

They seem to be listed by car make, but as no LR is listed, which one?

#7 ·
I keep reading conflicting views on replacing the head unit and in any case they all sound like more work than unplug old one, plug in new on. Not to mention you'd need some kind of fascia panel to make it look right.
It all depends on what system you have already. If you have the Premium Harmon Cardon system with remote DSP amp in the back next to the sub, replacing the head unit involves a virtual rewire of the car, although I think that only came out with the 2000 model year cars. The earlier ones had either separate amps for each channel in the doors or simple speakers depending on whether it was the mid line or high line. If you have a sub in the back, you will have the high line system with the amps in each door, if you don't, it'll be the mid line system.

If mid line, a different head unit can simply be plugged in and will work fine. If high line you can either connect the speakers to line level outputs on the head unit (if it has them), fit attenuators to drop the output level or bypass the door amps so the speakers are driven directly from the head unit as in a conventional system. You can get push in plastic trim pieces that fit either side of the head unit to make it look better as below. I had no problems just plugging mine in but as it was originally a police car it was supplied from the factory with the speakers for the mid line system fitted but no head unit at all.

There is another thread on here about the Grom units and they do have a UK presence (see http://gromaudio.co.uk/), it might be worth giving them a call.

Vehicle Car Technology Multimedia

#8 ·
Thanks for the info and link. I quite like the idea of retaining the stock head unit if I can get BT to work on it, not fussed about using CD's these days.

I'm not sure what headunit I have. My p38 is a 1999, but it's an SVO one. Think it must be right on the change over. It has the Thor engine.

It seems to have a sub in the boot, but says harmon/kardon on the doors.

#9 ·
It looks like you have the Premium system, if the bottom picture is the sub, then it certainly looks that way. There will be a big box containing the DSP amp mounted next to the sub with a connector with something like 38 wires going to it. The high line system would have something like this http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/range-rover-p38-4-6-v8-sub-woofer-amr3770-/181419604653 . The Grom does look to be your best option if you can find the correct version.

#10 ·
Thanks.

I've spoken to Grom UK and they think they can help, but I need to ID which plugs are on my system. They think they will be either Rover or BMW style plugs. If the plugs match up, then all should be good I think. So going to pull the head unit and have a look on the back of it, as well as have a closer look on the CD changer plugs. I'll post some pics up once I know and will post any other info/progress I make with getting a Grom.

#11 ·
From what I've seen, the Grom units seem to be pretty good. The only problem that has been reported is that if wired as suggested, it draws current all the time so can result in a flat battery if the car is left. It was found that if it was wired to the ignition switched supply to the radio it still worked perfectly. A full write up may be of use to a few people that want to retain their original stereo but update it with Bluetooth and USB inputs.

G
#16 ·
I bought a CD-changer interface on Ebay to connect aux to the factory headunit, simply unplug the CD-changer from the back of the HU, and plug the interfacein instead. The one I have only has a 3,5mm jack to connect yourauxdevice to (eg the phone)

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.