rocker arms?
NEWS

1. Welcome to RangeRovers.net General discussion forum for Range Rovers

Welcome to RangeRovers.net - a website dedicated to all things Range Rovers.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, Join RangeRovers.net today!

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: rocker arms?

SOPHOMORE ROVER

rocker arms?

I'm replcing my rocker arms on a 97 4.0. Which way do the oil holes face? I dont have RAVE right now. The oil holes are on the left or right of the inside of the rocker arms. The rocker arm shafts are being reused. Thanks.
    97 black p38 coils and 32 inch mud tires. Rebuilt the **** thing!

2. Remove Advertisements
    Range Rovers Forum
    Advertisements

LIFETIME CONTRIBUTOR

Re: rocker arms?

Here's the page from RAVE.
    Jim
    2000 NAS HSE
    2005 NAS HSE

SOPHOMORE ROVER

Thank you sir. I dont understand #18.??

If you don't get the mark on the shaft lined up right, in relation to the rockers, you will have the oil feed holes in the rocker shaft misaligned for the correct thrust/distribution of oil under each rocker bearing. Look at the rocker shafts. See how the rocker oil distribution holes are not in line with the post bolt/feed holes? You can reverse this if you're not paying attention, and (I guess) severely reduce the life of your rocker assembly.

When I did mine I very carefully laid everything out in the order and orientation it came apart, and carefully replaced the parts and reassembled, checking and rechecking this orientaion to the mark. I was still a bit nerved up that I missed something when it came time for ILO. (initial light off)

You aren't replacing the shaft too? I was surprised that the shaft seemed more worn than the rocker bearings.

Also watch out for your rockers not being of the same manufacturer. The vendor I purchased mine from (a very reputable one, known well here on this board) sent me a bunch of rockers that looked like they were pulled from a bin and not all were from the same manufacturer. Once measured, you could see that the dimensions to the push rod cap were different and the tappet pad thicknesses were not the same either... picky, maybe... but spend a little time on RPI Engineering's website reading on lifter pretension and shimming the posts, and mis-matched rockers will keep you awake at night...
    92 Classic (retired) 95 Classic (150K) 95 4.0 SE (160K) 96 4.0 SE (200K)
    07 HSE L322 (70K) 02 4Runner (safety net)

SOPHOMORE ROVER

**** im confused now.lol

Commone advice is to replace the shafts as well as the rockers, as the wear will be both ways and could result in premature failure of new rockers due to a worn shaft.
    I got a very good deal on a complete rocker-assembly rebuild kit.
    4.0 SE manual, 1995, 'Piper': daily, GENIII, 4.6
    4.0 SE manual, 1997, 'Priscilla': new addition
    4.6 SE auto, 1995, 'Prue': GF daily, now 4.0
    2.5 DT manual, 1996, 'Paige': retired
    D90 TD5, 2005, 'Nessie': TR2 racer

Sorry to cause concern. I didn't bother with pretensioning the lifters after I rebuilt my rockers, and most of the time it isn't necessary (as I was advised by several sources). I'd suggest you replace the rocker shafts, along with the rockers. The rocker bearing babbit picks up metal bits over time and actually works like sandpaper on the shaft. You'll probably find visible wear marks on the shaft once you disasssemble. The different rocker manufacturers will be readily apparent, if it happens. Also check/clean out the new rocker arm oil passages as I found quite a few bits of machining scarf in them. It's a good job, just stay well organized, and use lots of clean oil during reassembly.
    92 Classic (retired) 95 Classic (150K) 95 4.0 SE (160K) 96 4.0 SE (200K)
    07 HSE L322 (70K) 02 4Runner (safety net)

SOPHOMORE ROVER

thank you gentlemen for the help.

FRESHMAN ROVER

I was planning to replace my rockers myself (drivers side) this weekend and after reading this about lifter pretension and shimming the posts, I am worried I could cause more harm then good!!! The page from RAVE above mentions nothing about doing this...... I thought I would be able to simply replace the rockers and the shaft - Job Done!

How essential is it to ensure correct lifter pretension and shimming of the posts? I wouldn't know where to start and am now feeling like I need to leave this to my garage to do. A low cost job is now starting to sound expensive
    If you love life, don't waste time, for time is what life is made up of.
    -------------------------------------------------------------------------------- .Bruce Lee

SOPHOMORE ROVER

[quote="Indecisive"] I was planning to replace my rockers myself (drivers side) this weekend and after reading this about lifter pretension and shimming the posts, I am worried I could cause more harm then good!!! The page from RAVE above mentions nothing about doing this...... I thought I would be able to simply replace the rockers and the shaft - Job Done!

The reason why its not mention is that they base the reassemble of a new motor ,heads that havn't been shimmed.
    This is why that this proceedure should be done to check if the heads have are shimmed or not and shim the rockers to suit, otherwise your lifters,valve clearance will be comprimised.
    RPI sell shim kits.
    Then where do you stop push rods ,new hydrolic lifters and a cam, rockers and shafts should be done as a complete kit.
    V8 developments have some aftermarket rocker streangthing kits so thats another option?

oooh! now you blokes have got me worried...
    I recently replaced the head gaskets on my '99 4.0 and have noticed more tappet/rocker noise since I put it back together.
    Now wondering if I should pull the top apart again and check this and/or put new rockers in.
    Thanks guys... this thread might just save me from an early failure.
    My toys, projects and write-ups at PaulP38a.com

There is certainly some interesting food for thought on those pages at RPI Engineering http://www.v8engines.com/engine-4.htm#inside.

Has anyone put the RPI Engineering rockers, shafts, cams, arms and tappets kit in? I'll have to get them shipped to Australia, so want to try to get the best kit at the most reasonable price. Am open to other suggestions too.

Thanks, Paul.

SOPHOMORE ROVER

Bought a new set off ebay a couple of years ago. Didn't plan to fit them immediately so put them to one side after checking them. Left +ve feedback for the seller.

When i came round to it i had the engine in pieces, new rocker shafts, posts, cam etc. all ready

Just to fine that i had 15 left hand rockers and 1 right hand rockers

I did however pick up a shim kit from RPI which i fitted. A bit of a pain in the **** to fit, not difficult but time consuming.
    I can see the logic of fitting one (which is the only reason i fitted it) but with such a small adjustment am not too convinced that it would make much difference.

Quote Originally Posted by keithdixon
    Just to fine that i had 15 left hand rockers and 1 right hand rockers

I did however pick up a shim kit from RPI which i fitted. A bit of a pain in the Golly Gee Whizz to fit, not difficult but time consuming.
    I can see the logic of fitting one (which is the only reason i fitted it) but with such a small adjustment am not too convinced that it would make much difference.
    Ouch, that is pretty poor form on the sellers part. At least being in the UK you have a much wider range of aftermarket suppliers of Rangie bits than we do in Oz... and as far as I can tell, much cheaper too.

I've sent an e-mail off to RPI to see what they can do. Just as well that this car is a tax-deduction for me

I'm interested in the shim kit... I put new/reco heads on mine when I did the "refresh" and am now wondering if they might be shaved a little, causing the rockers to bear down more on the pushrods and the valves to open less...

cheers, Paul.

FRESHMAN ROVER

Should there be shims already in place on the existing setup?
    If you love life, don't waste time, for time is what life is made up of.
    -------------------------------------------------------------------------------- .Bruce Lee

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.