Range Rovers Forum banner

Shocks how tight?

2K views 3 replies 3 participants last post by  googsy1 
#1 ·
Anyone know how tight nuts should be on shocks i.e how do I know when to stop tightening nut.I reckon the more I tighten the better the ride gets so I musnt have them tight enough.I dont want to over tighten them and I dont have a torque wrench.

Thanks

#2 ·
IIRC the bottom nut is supposed to be 32 ft/lb, and the top bolts 92 ft/lb. I just tightened my bottom ones until they started 'squishing' the rubber bushing since I had nylock nuts.

Since I couldn't get the torque wrench on LH top-front, I just dabbed a little lock-tite on the bolt (very little) and tightened that as tight as I could with my open-ended wrench.

Good luck, and remember to check your bots/nuts a few times the week or so after you are done ;)

#4 ·
shock horror!

:( Hi guys,

Sorry to trouble you again.I seem to be having another problem with shock on front drivers side.The last shock was replaced when new due to threads being worn on shock.I have replaced this shock was fine for a while and now same problem I can even twist the shock with my hand.Im thinking this means shock is not seated firmly and will move around causing knocking etc.Im getting alot of feedback through wheel as a result and can feel tapping under floorplan I have tried tightening again but shock is just spinning seems to have the same problem as the last shock.Do I need to use another spanner to hold in place or a pipe wrench so I can tighten further? I had thought after replacing shock the problem was Radius arm bush but obviously its the shock.Anyone know what could be the problem?The shocks came with Nylock nuts they are Boge in make.

Thanks

Googsy

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.