Differences in Fuel pumps STC4345 and STC4344?
NEWS

1. Welcome to RangeRovers.net General discussion forum for Range Rovers

Welcome to RangeRovers.net - a website dedicated to all things Range Rovers.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, Join RangeRovers.net today!

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Differences in Fuel pumps STC4345 and STC4344?

JUNIOR ROVER
    Tempe, Arizona, USA (Yet another Expat Brit with a Rover)

Differences in Fuel pumps STC4345 and STC4344?

What is the differences between the fuel pumps STC4345 Vs STC4344? According to Atlantic British my 1998-99 Gems 4.0 calls for the STC4345 pump. I just bought the generic pump Airtex E3270 from Autozone after reading the main site and was wondering if this will replace the STC4345.
    Dinesh H
    1999 Range Rover 4.0S
    2001 Mercedes ML320
    1993 Mercedes 190e 2.6
    1985 Mercedes 190e 2.3
    1983 Mercedes 380SEC
    1974 FIAT Spider

2. Remove Advertisements
    Range Rovers Forum
    Advertisements

FRESHMAN ROVER
    98&99's are all Evaporative loss cars. The difference is in the value of the protection module and the presence of a restricted vent. Stay with the STC4345, and avoid the emission fault

JUNIOR ROVER
    If I understand you correctly, there isn't a generic equivalent for the STC4345 in Airtex E3270? And retrofitting the E3270 will cause an emission fault? The bottom line sounds like I have to pay the $499.95 instead of $76 for the Airtex E3270.
    Dinesh H
    1999 Range Rover 4.0S
    2001 Mercedes ML320
    1993 Mercedes 190e 2.6
    1985 Mercedes 190e 2.3
    1983 Mercedes 380SEC
    1974 FIAT Spider

JUNIOR ROVER

Re: Differences in Fuel pumps STC4345 and STC4344?

My fuel pump finally packed up today at 110f heat. I was thinking of putting the Airtex/Master E3270 pump to get the car going till I get the correct one next week. Would it work apart from setting the emissions error code? I don't have to get the emissions done till end of next month.
    Dinesh H
    1999 Range Rover 4.0S
    2001 Mercedes ML320
    1993 Mercedes 190e 2.6
    1985 Mercedes 190e 2.3
    1983 Mercedes 380SEC
    1974 FIAT Spider

SOPHOMORE ROVER

Is the evaporative vent the extra hose I left off from my 3270 replacement I put in my 97 GEMS? On the 97 it looked redundant.
    97 4.0, Gen III's, BFG 265/75 TA KO's - usually muddy from being used as a divining rod for deep water in the desert.

JUNIOR ROVER

Did the deed yesterday with a lot of help from another forum member Rock. By the looks of things, I did have the STC2345 set up. But couldn't see any special hoses going from the pump to any sensors. Only sensor was at the top of the cradle and it was isolated from the pump. Small black hose (not found on the Airtex pump) went from the pump to the bottom of the cradle with no sign of any external sensors around the area where it connects. I may have struck lucky having a Truck with the new pump design but without any emissions stuff that went with it.
    Drove it this morning and so far so good,
    Dinesh H
    1999 Range Rover 4.0S
    2001 Mercedes ML320
    1993 Mercedes 190e 2.6
    1985 Mercedes 190e 2.3
    1983 Mercedes 380SEC
    1974 FIAT Spider

JUNIOR ROVER

Ok, I may have messed up by putting a new 5/16 fuel line that I found in the garage.

a/ May not be rated for an EFI application (probably hold for 34psi).
    b/ Definitely not rated for a submersible application.

Did some research on the net and this could be useful for someone replacing their Fuel pump:

The inline plastic hose from the Fuel pump to the top of the cradle looks like it is meant for a one time application and it will break in the process of disconnecting from the pump.
    What you need is an SAE j30R10 rated 5/16 100psi EFI line that is rated to be submerged in Fuel.
    This is the Gates part number: #27093 Or Napa part number for US folks: #H209 (sells @ 24.95/foot).

Hope this helps,
    Dinesh H
    1999 Range Rover 4.0S
    2001 Mercedes ML320
    1993 Mercedes 190e 2.6
    1985 Mercedes 190e 2.3
    1983 Mercedes 380SEC
    1974 FIAT Spider

FRESHMAN ROVER

How did the fuel pump do over time? I have exactly the same problem, I have a RR 98 SE 4.0 with a bad fuel pump and I can't find the STC4345 pump for less than $850 and that's with a 1 - 2 month waiting period. I bought the Airtex equivalent of the STC4344 but my mechanic said it had the wrong hookups and was too short. Any advice you could give me would be much appreciated.

Cheers

SOPHOMORE ROVER

Quote Originally Posted by LonestarLimey
    How did the fuel pump do over time? I have exactly the same problem, I have a RR 98 SE 4.0 with a bad fuel pump and I can't find the STC4345 pump for less than $850 and that's with a 1 - 2 month waiting period. I bought the Airtex equivalent of the STC4344 but my mechanic said it had the wrong hookups and was too short. Any advice you could give me would be much appreciated.

Cheers
    Still working great, as the other poster noted, you will have to replace one the permanently submerged hoses with a piece of the right fuel line. The pump is just the inner part inside of the whole plastic cage that Rover dealers charges a lot for, (but less than $850 at some suppliers - keep checking around) The too short thing mentioned by your mechanic was managed by a little spacer rubber puck that came with the Airtex. Check this forum for the exact Airtex number.
    97 4.0, Gen III's, BFG 265/75 TA KO's - usually muddy from being used as a divining rod for deep water in the desert.

FRESHMAN ROVER

Thanks for the reply. I bought the Airtex E8491M which came with the whole housing unit. It was a little under $400 when all said & done. So your saying that the Airtex E3270 will fit right into the original housing unit with the help of a spacer & new hose as listed above?

Cheers

SOPHOMORE ROVER

Quote Originally Posted by LonestarLimey
    Thanks for the reply. I bought the Airtex E8491M which came with the whole housing unit. It was a little under $400 when all said & done. So your saying that the Airtex E3270 will fit right into the original housing unit with the help of a spacer & new hose as listed above?

Cheers
    Well, D and I may have had a special case on his '98 which called for the same evap sensor equipped pump that you just bought, that in fact was not in there! My '97 is still running strong on that cheaper Airtex pump, and as of last week, so is D's, so,.... I guess it boils down to whether you have anything on your present one that connects to the sensor that he and I do not have. My cheaper Airtex did have a little rubber "puck" included to make it fit the plastic Rover housing, and we had to provide a small piece of fuel line because the old plastic one just won't come off without destroying it so you cannot reuse it.

Other members have commented that it will throw an emissions fault if the sensor is expected to be there. I would invest in the cheaper pump too, but don't open the box on either of them until you get the tank down and out of there to see what you have, you might be lucky and have an early '98 model with the '97 pump like D did. Take a pic and post what you see.

You can return for full credit on what you bought?

FRESHMAN ROVER

Thanks for the reply again. My mechanic has already dropped the tank and he showed me the difference between the two pumps. The original pump looks like the setup in the picture below (courtesy of bputah.com):

I live in a fairly small town so most of the mechanics here haven't messed with many Range Rovers. I first had fuel pump problems back in November, my RR was losing power and stalling on me intermittently - first happened on a long trip, 300 miles from home, not fun! I bought a generic fuel pump from a seller on ebay for a little under $60, it was this one:
    http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/FUEL-PUM ... 700wt_1128

The dealership (I bought the RR from) put it in as a courtesy as I had only bought the car 6-weeks before. It slightly improved the issues but created new ones. It was no longer cutting out and stalling (with plenty of gas in the tank) but it was now taking a long time to start, it wasn't getting full pressure and it was stalling when the tank got down to an 8th of fuel. So I got another pump, the exact same one from the ebay seller on warranty. I had another mechanic put this one in and the results were the same, low fuel pressure,taking a long time to start and stalling when down to an 8th full. I am now on my third mechanic, which brings us up to date. Do you think he can rig my original pump housing unit with the E3270 and a new inline plastic hose?

Thanks for all your help.

SOPHOMORE ROVER

That looks like the one for $400 bucks, I don't think you can use the cheap one - it must have a pressure of 65psi plus and I have noticed that not all of the Airtex ones with that part number state that - some are 45psi max. Those symptoms you describe are typical of clogged filters or the fuel pump pickup "sock" or a sub standard fuel pump. I think you have the one you need.

The good news is that you will feel like you gained a 100 horsepower once you get the right pump in place,...

FRESHMAN ROVER

I took some pictures of the original fuel pump and housing unit from my RR today:

The new pump I currently have in my possession is the E8491M which I purchased from Auto Zone (about $370 after tax). That pump is below:

http://www.autozone.com/autozone/parts/ ... aimhZ8vcz2

Should we remove the actual pump from the E8491M and place it in the original housing unit? If so, do we still need to buy the fuel line as indicated above?

Thanks for your help, it's very much appreciated.

SOPHOMORE ROVER

It looks like the pump you bought is ready to drop in, no extra hoses or rebuilding anything. You see that black plastic hose that is "baffled or corregated" would not come off for us, but it looks like your new pump has an identical white one already in place - you are set to go!

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.