Range Rovers Forum banner

transfer case chain $$$

8K views 32 replies 10 participants last post by  don scott 
#1 ·
well, I have fixed all the stuff on my 2000 4.6 I can, emmisions, eas, etc.

Now the last......I am 98% certain my chain is stretched, { bang,bang,bang when agressive with the go pedal} despite local dealer and indy saying they doubt it.......now to fix......I am also 98% sure I am not going to do this myself.....because of weight of TC case etc......

Whats the going rate on having an indy do this job?? or anyone care to convince me that this can be done by the resonably mechanical owner??

Thanks,

DS

#6 ·
Thanks.....if I can lay my hands on a recon unit for around 1k, and have someone put it in for 600-800 thats the plan,,,makes sense as the chains almost half the box....and the labor is the about the same,....now to locate a recon in Maryland or close by.

#7 ·
If you are feeling like doing it yourself, a chain should only cost around $300. Have a look at http://www.legs.co.uk, though I realise you're in the States.

Has anyone actually taken their transfer box out themselves? My Classic needs the transfer box changing, and I'd like to do it myself, but don't really want to take the engine & gearbox out as well (as RAVE suggests).

#13 ·
rrtoadhall said:
I didn't say search was always easy. However, many folks don't even try and are just plain too lazy to try. :roll:
I didn't mean that directed towards you, Carl. I just had trouble finding the thread real quick myself! :?

Don, read the appropriate section in RAVE carefully - and work methodically. It's not rocket science, but I wouldn't recommend someone who's never changed his own plugs try it. And it is heavy! Be prepared for that!

#14 ·
roger that....I used to bench 300.....20 long years ago.....when you say heavy.. we talkin heavy, Rfheavy, or unbelievably f'n heavy??

I just had to drop the tank from my dodge 3/4 diesel to replace sender unit, yes it was full of fuel {35 gal}, in the rain ,outside,in the dark. twas a beautiful thing...1 hour to get it out, 6 to get it back up, this may be a relative cake walk.

if'n i can figure away to secure that pig to the jack , I'll be in tall cotton.

#15 ·
I was real happy I was on a lift and had a tranny jack at my disposal. I've heaved more than one tranny back in lying under a car, too.

If you're going to be on the ground, get a real floor jack and some help. The prob is not so much the simple up'n'down, but not messing anything up on the way out or in (like hanging the t-case off the very end of the input shaft...). Its been a while, so RFheavy - I dunno. RFSurprisingly heavy, yes :lol:

#16 ·
Any updates on this? I pulled my front prop/drive shaft this weekend since a u-joint had a little play in it, hoped that may cure my drive train sound. It didn't. It did cure a 55mph shudder however, new shaft will be getting ordered.

I now think the sound may be the chain, will do some more listening later to make sure.

What is a good parts source for this chain in the US? It seems like you can get this shipped from the UK for significantly less than the part sells for here! I found this and it seems like a good/cheap solution for those of us that don't have access to proper shops/help.

#18 ·
I did see that thread, updated now with more/better pics too. Great job tomspas2k I'll refer back to that when I'm opening mine up! Seems he isn't that far from me either, perhaps I should just drop it in his driveway ;) Anyway, I think/hope I'll be able to handle getting it out with that tool. Then again when I'm under the vehicle with bloody knuckles my attitude may not be as good about the matter.

#19 ·
My wife used considerable moral suasion on me, as well as few other level 3 techniques to not do this. myself. somethin about Im worth more alive. So It went to my local wrench one week ago today....he;s a good wrench.

However...two phone calls later I have a bad feeling...talked to one of his other guys and I get...."You got sumpin tore up real bad in transmission"

It told him to drop the case and put a friggen new chain in and save me the deliverence routine.

as of today they have not pulled the case.....My shirt is getting tight and my knuchles are white....they will not like me when I am angry.

#20 ·
Oops, that sounds scary, pretty much the reason why I don't want to take it to somebody local, not to mention the cost of doing so. I think I'll make out better even if I have to buy a bunch of tools. Still waiting to receive an order from Harbor Freight that was ordered quite a while back, still waiting for some parts quotes, and I'm going out of town soon for a while. It seems I won't have the Rangie back on the road anytime soon :(.

Hope it works out for you

#21 ·
man....this is going south so fast.......called my bone head today....hasn't started work....I said frrig it...Ill pick it up.

Get this...says its not drivable...says that it will only move in low range...
somethingh about the shock of the chain slipping screwwed up an "a: clutch pack in the tranny.....

Now it was driving fine when I got it in there....he drove it about 1/2 mile now I don't know what kind of a friggen mess I have.

I am going to see him tonight.......gawd I am hot

#23 ·
I can only imagine how you feel, and I think bomana makes a really good point. I suppose we should not be surprised at the actions of some supposedly capable people. I don't know why they always end up around our rangies.

#24 ·
well, that went swell.

my bone head took car for test drive to confirm noise issue. drove a half mile and lost drive.

He had repair computer wherein it read. and I read it where shock on drive train from slipping chain can "break" the A pack clutch...read it with my own two eyes.

Good thing the wife went along. I am calm now, as both parents just diagnosed with Alzheimers. This is small stuff in the big Scheme.

GO YEA FORTH and repair all skipping chains before you ruin your tranny.,
learn from my mistake. What I am going to do at this point is unknown,any thoughts really appreciated.

#26 ·
Where is the car, with you or the bonehead?

Suggestions:
Search for an Autobox / ZF Forum and research the symptoms, either for only 1st and Reverse, or for 'Clutch A failed'.
Depends how good the Forum is, someone may have experience of the 38A installation.
You may also get a feel for good people to deal with, wrt a reconditioned box.
You may also develop a view on whether the breakage was circumstantial, or prompted by some lead foot treatment.
Cost flat bedding it home, do it now, while you think about it, source new parts. Let the bonehead think he's getting it back for the repair, when you have the details sorted, but you don't want it left cluttering his place for a long time (distracted as you are by the parents, etc, etc. Throw a bit of a sob story).
Leave removal too long and he'll want to charge Storage.

Alternative.
Remember that if you insert Fuse 11 the Transfer box goes into Neutral. This protects the Auto box.
Next you remove one propshaft which means the VC doesn't see both axles turning.
Now you can tow the vehicle, all four on the ground, or two wheels up on a trolley. You do need a sensible tow driver, you have steering and power brakes as the engine will run.
Propshaft removal can be done with two 9/16" spanners, just put the suspension on high and crawl underneath. You don't have to drive it far out of his yard, so first gear is fine.

I'm kind of assuming you don't really want to reward the bonehead for his work so far.

Good Luck.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.