Range Rovers Forum banner

Rear end Clunking

5K views 6 replies 6 participants last post by  Rich998a 
#1 ·
I've noticed this in other vehicles I have driven, which made it seem normal and thus not needing attention, but now that I've temporarily switched to coils, and my attention is free to roam to other areas of the truck, maybe someone could offer some advice on this. Whenever I go over a speed bump(the short curb-like ones) the front end handles normally, but when its the rear end's turn to finish, it feels like its jumping down, and I feel and hear the clunk. I'm 99% sure it did this with the airsprings too(I'm unsure because the last couple months were spent driving around on basically the bumpstops, and it ALWAYS did it then:) ). The springs are fine, except the upper rear springs aren't fixed to the chassis. I find it hard to believe the chassis is coming away from the springs, because the speed bumps are only 2 or so inches tall, and yet the springs are compressed much more than that. The shocks are the original ones from 10 years ago, and need replacing, but they are bolted down tight. The only other thing I can think of is the control arms, but I couldn't find a grease fitting, and not surprised because I think the workshop manual says they are "sealed for life." Any ideas on the problem, if there is one at all?

Also, unrelated, I've been looking online for info about tire and wheel sizes and compatibility, but haven't been able to find what I'm looking for; tire manufactures provide specs on their individual tire sizes, like overall diameter, weight, load, etc. When they mention section width, they provide the width of the rim it was mounted on. for example, 33x12.5r18, 12.5 section width on a 10" wide rim. Is that the minimum width for that tire size, or is it a middle ground size, or recommended size? I'm looking for a 33x tire to throw on my original 18x8 Proline wheels, which have a range of 7-9 inch tire width. Anyone have any info or know a source to find it?

Thanks

See less See more
#4 ·
Could be your shocks. I have heard worn shocks cause a "banging" or "hopping" when going over bumps, etc. I have original shocks and notice a harshness with rear going over large bumps too. However, I wouldn't really call it a "clunk".

I hate to hijack, but this could definately be related. I do get a "clunk" when I start to reverse from sitting still, or when I start moving forward after reversing. Sounds like left rear to me but I couldn't find anything to be noticebly sloppy or loose upon manual inspection. Been doing it for over a year without getting any louder, but very consistant. Any ideas on this one guys??

#5 ·
I have that also.

It is my muffler.

I broke the bracket on a tree stump while having a roll in the woods. I have it "fixed" now but there is still more play than there was and it chunks a bit on speed bumps in particular when the rear goes over.

If it is not shocks I bet the bracket is either loose or partially off.

#6 ·
well, i after driving to a friends house, i went over a series of speed humps, the large 3-4 foot long bumps. i hit the first one at 10mph with no sound, the next i sped up to i think 25 and no sound, and the third, even faster, and i got a lot of sounds, but realized as soon as i landed that i had hit it at almost 40mph(**** v8...) the sound, when i can recreate it, sounds like it is coming from the drivers side rear, but nothing appears to be loose. the only thing i can think of is shocks. I know the muffler will hit the spare tire well, since I cut it off just behind the rear axle, leaving it without a support, but that is just a sound, not an actual feeling. I haven't been able to recreate it, so maybe it is gone, which leaves me thinking something bad is about to happen....? I just had a ling time Jeep fanatic exclaim over the quality of my ride, even though it is coiled [for]now. Just the tire issue remains I guess. Can I fit a 33x12.50r18(12.50 on a 10" wide rim) on my 18x8 stock rims?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.