Range Rovers Forum banner

Overheating

2K views 6 replies 5 participants last post by  OlstadJr 
#1 ·
I just purchased the truck and the seller told me it was overheating. I replaced the radiator, water pump, thermostat, expansion tank cap. I have tried to "burp" the system. I have added coolant, ran the engine a while, then added more. I have done this with the heater running in the cab also. I can get in and drive for about a mile or so. (Done so three or four times). After about a mile the gauge goes from operating temperature to fully overheated in a fraction of a second. It isn't gradual but immediate. When it overheats it bubbles out at the expansion tank, apparently still leaking around the cap as well as out of the 1/4" tubing the runs down to the top of the wheel well. Just had the oil changed with no evidence of coolant in the oil and have seen no evidence of oil in the coolant. I sat in my driveway with the truck running and the heat on for thirty min or so and it didn't overheat until I drove it approximately a mile.

G
#3 ·
Charlotte, NC....North Carolina....US........Don't think they have Diesels overthere, so probably a 4,6 V8.

- Do a sniffletest to see wether the bubles contain CO2, if so prepair for a possibly expensive repair (cracked engine, T-linerjob) or perhaps less expensive headgaskets to be replaced

#4 ·
i would make sure the bleed hose to the header tank is clear. then replace the temp sender unit(genuine part) these are known to fail and also the header tank cap again with a genuine part as it sounds as if its seals have gone. i would not worry about slipped liners/cracked block etc.........out of all the 1000000's that were made it only happens to a tiny fraction of them. if she is still playing up then get the sniff test done. good luck.

#5 ·
Hello OldstadJr... If you already done all those replacements it's very important you check what RogerB is suggesting... start the truck from cold and look for bubbling on the expansion tank coming from the bottom hose on the cap side... if it starts bubbling before it goes "hot" most likely you have gasses passing from the combustion chamber to the cooling system... I had same issues and it turn out to be a blown head gasket. Usually more than temperature what happens is cooling system over pressure. The sniff test will confirm that. Check your oil filler cap and see if it shows cream like sludge on it as that also indicates water/antifreeze on the oil.

#6 ·
Don't forget though that bubbling air into the header tank when cold is perfectly normal if there are any air locks in the heater circuit. The cooling system is arranged so that when the thermostat is closed there is no flow through the radiator, only the heater circuit with the Tee to the header tank coming off the heater outlet. Any air trapped in the heater circuit will then get forced through and bubble up into the header. It's only a problem if it doesn't stop.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.