Timing Chain
NEWS

1. Welcome to RangeRovers.net General discussion forum for Range Rovers

Welcome to RangeRovers.net - a website dedicated to all things Range Rovers.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, Join RangeRovers.net today!

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Timing Chain

FRESHMAN ROVER

Timing Chain

It's that time for a 100,000 mile timing chain. Do anyone have any suggestions on what to be exspecting from the stealers to make repairs for my money worth than to make the RR very happy.
    "DLEE"

2. Remove Advertisements
    RangeRovers.net
    Advertisements

Premium Member

Re: Timing Chain

Quote Originally Posted by dewayne lee
    It's that time for a 100,000 mile timing chain. Do anyone have any suggestions on what to be exspecting for the stealers to have inclued n the repair to make it worth to money and the RR very happy.

05' MKIII-
    Wanted: D90
    MTI Equipment
    HDD Forums

indeed. I don't remember seeing anyting about timing chains being a maintenance item. Are you having issues that lead you to believe this needs to be done? Since timing chains are a wear item their change interval really depends on driving habits, maintenance and symptoms. Unless you are having issues with slipped timing, misfires or rediculous pinging I wouldn't worry about it yet.
    Sucking at something is the first step to becoming sorta good at something.

FRESHMAN ROVER
    I believe most of the time a 1/4 inch of slack is acceptable in an old timing chain.

Lets just say when I replace the heads and cam LS1 in my trans am with a new LS6 motor, the timing chain was as good as new, and at the time of replacement the motor was 140K old, and was pushing around 455 rwhp with a wicked driving attitude.
    2001 Range Rover HSE 4.6
    Oslo Blue

FRESHMAN ROVER
    My timing belt came off a few months ago while i was going at about 70 mph on the highway. I lost power steering, engine began to smoke, etc. It was a scary experience and not one I'd want to relive.
    Andrew
    "You may all go to hell, but I will go to Texas" - Davey Crockett

"Stella" '96 4.0; OEM brush-guard w/ Hella 3000s; Michelin LTX M/S 255/70/R16

Premium Member
    I asked a LR mechanic about the timing chain replacement timeline. He said that it should last the lifespan of the engine. Several other things will normally go wrong way before the timing chain. When it is time to replace the oil pump or main bearings or any other thing, then the timing chain is replaced.
    R. Storey Wilson
    - 1996 4.6 HSE
    A Healthy EAS At 130,000
    - 2003 HSE
    Tried to Kill Me...
    - 2008 LR3
    Miss the Range Rover.

Quote Originally Posted by anear575
    My timing belt came off a few months ago while i was going at about 70 mph on the highway. I lost power steering, engine began to smoke, etc. It was a scary experience and not one I'd want to relive.
    Yes, but what kind of car was that? Belts have a lset ife span, chains do not. Belts will snap due to growing brittle with age, chains will not. Belts will loose teeth and other teeth will round off, chains will not. Timing chains as we have in our rigs will stretch, gain slack, maybe even skip a tooth in extreme wear. However, failure is extrememly rare in timing chains. Thier wear causes a book load of flags to warn you of impending doom. You are much more likely to suffer from every other Rover issue before a timing chain "failure".
    Sucking at something is the first step to becoming sorta good at something.

FRESHMAN ROVER

I had no Idea that we had belts and not chains.....that kinda pisses me off.

I wish I had a chain, I dont see the reason(except cutting down on costs)for them to favor a rubber belt.
    2001 Range Rover HSE 4.6
    Oslo Blue

jsp
    Quote Originally Posted by Roverrated

I had no Idea that we had belts and not chains.....that kinda pisses me off.

I wish I had a chain, I dont see the reason(except cutting down on costs)for them to favor a rubber belt.
    ummmm number 8 below.....

John - South Australia
    1994 Vogue SE Classic
    1995 HSE P38
    2002 HSE L322

Irony...
    1998 Autobiography 4.6 V8 of course

SOPHOMORE ROVER
    More likely steely but definately not rubbery.

HTH

David
    1996 4.6 SE - Prins VSI LPG
    Stealth HSE Upgrade Status - Wood trimmed door cards, electric memory seats, front fogs, 18" Alloys, rear reading-lamps, rear footwell lamp, front footwell lights, electrochromatic mirror; illuminated passenger visor.

SOPHOMORE ROVER
    yep we got a chain. Now it would have to have a lot a slack to alter cam timing. I rebuilt my engine a week ago due to a worm cam and the timing chain looked fine. The engine had 100k on it. I replaced the chain just b/c I was doing a rebuild. I see no reason to replace the chain unless you have a massive performance problem. The engine is non interference so if the chain lets loose the motor will survive. The dealership will rape you on the price of replacing the timing chain.
    97 black p38 coils and 32 inch mud tires. Rebuilt the **** thing!

JUNIOR ROVER
    The chain is NOT a regular replacement item as stated above. Do you have any issues related to chain wear??
    PTM

2000 4.6 Vitesse Java Black with 120,000 miles riding on a healthy EAS

Unless he is referring to the serpentine belt?
    1998 Autobiography 4.6 V8 of course

FRESHMAN ROVER
    Just to say i'm really on the go an like to be on top of my beast. Do to the 100,000 miles of some other vehicles, i was always concern to keep up with my RR up to par. No there isn't anything wrong with my RR or it's serpenten belt just trying to keep the life of the BEAST going.
    "DLEE"