2011 Timing chain shot at 44k miles?
NEWS

1. Welcome to RangeRovers.net – General discussion forum for Range Rovers

Welcome to RangeRovers.net - a website dedicated to all things Range Rovers.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, Join RangeRovers.net today!

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: 2011 Timing chain shot at 44k miles?

FRESHMAN ROVER

2011 Timing chain shot at 44k miles?

Wow - just found out my timing chain needs to be replaced in my 2011 with 44k miles. Dealer said they're starting to see this with the 2011's... anyone hear of this? 3 times in the last 6 weeks I had Performance Restricted come up for a minute and then change to CEL for an hour or so. The only code scanned was P0018 CRANKSHAFT CAMSHAFT POSITION CORRELATION BANK 2 SENSOR A . They're replacing the timing chain under warranty - was just curious if anyone else heard of this as I didn't think 44k was many miles at all for a timing chain to go.
    2011 Range Rover HSE LUX

2. Remove Advertisements
    Range Rovers Forum
    Advertisements

Re: 2011 Timing chain shot at 44k miles?

Yikes.
    I am sorry I don't have any answers for you, but I am glad that you're still under warranty on this one. I wonder what the out of warranty cost would be for this repair.

Just curious, if you're the first owner, how hard do you drive your rig? Use it for towing or other strenuous work? I'd like someone who has more knowledge of the codes to decipher "P0018 CRANKSHAFT CAMSHAFT POSITION CORRELATION BANK 2 SENSOR A"

I agree that it seems way too early for a timing chain to go bad. I've got 33k on my '10 and about 1 year of warranty left. If something like this is going to happen, I'd really like it to happen before the warranty has expired. It is interesting that the dealer said they have been seeing this on the '11 because AFAIK the AJ133 (5.0L Jag AJ-V is the same from '09-present. Unless there is something unique about the '11MY, maybe the dealer was just trying to make you feel better... Regardless, glad you're getting it repaired under warranty. Hope you're sailing smooth for awhile after this is finished.
    Sittin on a dock on the Bay....

2010 Alaska White Supercharged L322 Range Rover
    2016 Alpine White BMW X5 xDrive35i
    2006 White BMW M5 (SOLD)
    2006 Bonatti Grey HSE Range Rover (SOLD)

FRESHMAN ROVER

I'm actually the second owner - bought it a few months back CPO (Luckily!).

Thanks for the good wishes and I hope yours doesn't see the same issue!

Quote Originally Posted by ldollar View Post
    Yikes.
    I am sorry I don't have any answers for you, but I am glad that you're still under warranty on this one. I wonder what the out of warranty cost would be for this repair.

Just curious, if you're the first owner, how hard do you drive your rig? Use it for towing or other strenuous work? I'd like someone who has more knowledge of the codes to decipher "P0018 CRANKSHAFT CAMSHAFT POSITION CORRELATION BANK 2 SENSOR A"

I agree that it seems way too early for a timing chain to go bad. I've got 33k on my '10 and about 1 year of warranty left. If something like this is going to happen, I'd really like it to happen before the warranty has expired. It is interesting that the dealer said they have been seeing this on the '11 because AFAIK the AJ133 (5.0L Jag AJ-V is the same from '09-present. Unless there is something unique about the '11MY, maybe the dealer was just trying to make you feel better... Regardless, glad you're getting it repaired under warranty. Hope you're sailing smooth for awhile after this is finished.
    2011 Range Rover HSE LUX

5. Remove Advertisements
    Range Rovers Forum
    Advertisements

Yes, I had my timing chain and all associated parts replaced on our 2011 Range Rover last summer. I was told that it was not an issue of it falling off, but more of an issue of being sloppy. My Range Rover had about 30,000 miles on it. All under warranty so I did not care much, but still, it is odd for such a "young" vehicle to need something so major. I'm just hoping that my 2013 Sport wont need the same.
    17 LR Range Rover Sport Autobiography-Firenze Red/Narvik Black roof-Current
    13 LR Range Rover Sport HSE LUX-Marmaris Teal-Current
    11 LR Range Rover HSE LUX-Stornoway Grey-SOLD

FRESHMAN ROVER

Quote Originally Posted by JMC08 View Post
    Yes, I had my timing chain and all associated parts replaced on our 2011 Range Rover last summer. I was told that it was not an issue of it falling off, but more of an issue of being sloppy. My Range Rover had about 30,000 miles on it. All under warranty so I did not care much, but still, it is odd for such a "young" vehicle to need something so major. I'm just hoping that my 2013 Sport wont need the same.
    Well that makes me feel a bit better that another was in the same situation.

BTW- checked out your pics and our '11s are identical! Love the Stornaway.

Thanks again,
    2011 Range Rover HSE LUX

I actually traded my 11 Range Rover in a few months ago. I guess a dealership in the NorthEast bought it. We do miss it, but are glad to not be at the dealership every few weeks.

Banned

every now and then I think of a 5L Range Rover. These posts keep me in-line

Interesting... I had not heard of this issue. Something to keep in mind for the future if I eventually look to upgrade again.
    2004 Range Rover Westminster (sold)
    2007 Range Rover SC (sold)
    Arizona, USA

FRESHMAN ROVER

That is Scarry stuff. I just bought an '05 HSE and am brand new to RR ownership. I thought I was getting a pretty good deal, until I got it home the first time and discovered the massive oil leak... that the seller had obviously steam cleaned just before I viewed the vehicle. Leak was coming from the timing case and valve covers. So the non warranty cost at a non-dealer to get to the timing case was $3.5k US. They said the timing chain looked fine, but recommended changing it anyway since they were already there for an additional $1.5k. I opted not to spend that much on something that looked fine but now you have me second guessing that decision.

With a lot of additional little stuff that needed attention I got out of the shop for $4.5k. Now it seems like not such a good price. I guess that is my welcome to RR ownership. Looks like it is time to invest in: All Coms, a repair manual, a lift, and a killer set of tools...

Great Forum, thanks for the Nav Screen Hack! works like a charm.

Oh yea, seller also neglected to mention that the CD player and BT phone also did not work and stupid me didn't test them. Sigh. But there does appear to be a lifetime subscription on the XM that he didn't even know about. So I got that going for me.

Quote Originally Posted by Rodoc View Post
    That is Scarry stuff. I just bought an '05 HSE and am brand new to RR ownership. I thought I was getting a pretty good deal, until I got it home the first time and discovered the massive oil leak... that the seller had obviously steam cleaned just before I viewed the vehicle. Leak was coming from the timing case and valve covers. So the non warranty cost at a non-dealer to get to the timing case was $3.5k US. They said the timing chain looked fine, but recommended changing it anyway since they were already there for an additional $1.5k. I opted not to spend that much on something that looked fine but now you have me second guessing that decision.

With a lot of additional little stuff that needed attention I got out of the shop for $4.5k. Now it seems like not such a good price. I guess that is my welcome to RR ownership. Looks like it is time to invest in: All Coms, a repair manual, a lift, and a killer set of tools...

Great Forum, thanks for the Nav Screen Hack! works like a charm.

Oh yea, seller also neglected to mention that the CD player and BT phone also did not work and stupid me didn't test them. Sigh. But there does appear to be a lifetime subscription on the XM that he didn't even know about. So I got that going for me.
    The timing chain concern brought up in this thread was regarding the 2010-2012 5.0 V8 engines. Your particular engine would have different areas of prone issues. Truly, the 5.0 engine is a fantastic one, this was the only mechanical related issue we had with our 2011 RR. All other issues were related to electrical or accessory type functions/items.

Nim
    FRESHMAN ROVER

Hi i am seeing a lot of problem with timing chains , on newer 2010 and newer, plus we are seeing them on Mercedes Benz,BMW,Ford , and we are suspecting that with extended oil changes it is contributing to early failure of timing chains, another taught is that the oil do not have the proper additives to protect the timing chain and guides from wearing out, i have sent a couple of oil samples to get tested , so hopefully we will have some answers

2011 RR SC

My wife (whom of course I love to death) insisted on getting a RR SC. I of course agreed because of the 510 HP intrigued the hell out of me; well needless to say that the performance is impressive however I too am beyond annoyed because of the excessive engine noise.

We replace the water pump because this is where the sound seemed like it was coming from but it made little difference to the type of sound and the volume of it . The sound clearly seems to be coming for the Timing chains however we have no performance related issues included no check engine lights etc. I am looking for some other with the same issues and wanted to know if they have replaced the timing set to cure the issue. I am sure one day it will need to be replaced because of the camshaft code or some other performance related issue.

FRESHMAN ROVER

Quote Originally Posted by bmbbbb99 View Post
    2011 RR SC

My wife (whom of course I love to death) insisted on getting a RR SC. I of course agreed because of the 510 HP intrigued the hell out of me; well needless to say that the performance is impressive however I too am beyond annoyed because of the excessive engine noise.

We replace the water pump because this is where the sound seemed like it was coming from but it made little difference to the type of sound and the volume of it . The sound clearly seems to be coming for the Timing chains however we have no performance related issues included no check engine lights etc. I am looking for some other with the same issues and wanted to know if they have replaced the timing set to cure the issue. I am sure one day it will need to be replaced because of the camshaft code or some other performance related issue.
    What kind of noise are you getting? I have a clicking/ticking noise if I were to describe it, comparable to a diesel engine during idle and it gets pretty noticeable. 2011 s/c with 30k miles.

very noticeable around the :30 second mark

FRESHMAN ROVER

Quote Originally Posted by lefizzet View Post
    What kind of noise are you getting? I have a clicking/ticking noise if I were to describe it, comparable to a diesel engine during idle and it gets pretty noticeable. 2011 s/c with 30k miles.
    I have the same exact noise in mine, even after the timing chain replacement LY.
    Dealer says it's normal however, I don't feel comfortable with it and sometimes think it sounds like a POS.
    2011 Range Rover HSE LUX

FRESHMAN ROVER

Quote Originally Posted by chrisd0729 View Post
    I have the same exact noise in mine, even after the timing chain replacement LY.
    Dealer says it's normal however, I don't feel comfortable with it and sometimes think it sounds like a POS.
    What made you replace your timing chain? I brought it up to the service advisor (showed him a short video clip) and he said it was normal. I really doubt it though...it can get pretty loud sometimes. I just hope it's not going to lead to something big in the future after warranty is up...

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.