ZF 6HP26 Teardown - Page 2
NEWS

1. Welcome to RangeRovers.net – General discussion forum for Range Rovers

Welcome to RangeRovers.net - a website dedicated to all things Range Rovers.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, Join RangeRovers.net today!

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: ZF 6HP26 Teardown

LEGACY VENDOR

Re: ZF 6HP26 Teardown

The clutch pack slides out after removing the snap ring and this plastic component is an oil catcher that channels fluid down the centre of the planet pins to lubricate the planet gear bearings

It took me a little while to fathom out how to detach the epicyclic carrier and sun gear from the A-clutch. Although you probably can’t make it out in the photo there’s a clip which holds the carrier in place and it is removed by levering it out of its groove using a small screwdriver through the gaps down the side of two of the planet gears

The clip can be seen more clearly below which shows the epicyclic once removed

and this is how the A-clutch assembly now looks

2003 4.4l V8 Range Rover Vogue

2. Remove Advertisements
    RangeRovers.net
    Advertisements

LEGACY VENDOR

The clutch piston return spring then has to be compressed in order to remove the retaining circlip and I was pleasantly surprised to find that one of the tools I’d had made up for stripping down the 5HP24 clutches fitted this one fine

So the oil dam plate can be removed together with the circlip

revealing the clutch piston return spring

To remove the piston it’s easiest to place the A-clutch drum back on to the oil pump assembly and then apply air pressure into the feed hole

LEGACY VENDOR

The piston then pops out and these are all the components that make up the A-clutch and front epicyclic assembly

LEGACY VENDOR

Moving now onto the E-clutch assembly. The E-clutch assembly is part of the ‘input shaft’ of the transmission which is driven directly by the torque converter turbine

The photo below shows that the annulus gear of the front simple epicyclic is EB welded to the E-clutch drum and so is permanently driven by the transmission input shaft

Once the clutch pack had been lifted out of the drum, I was again pleasantly surprised to find that one of my 5HP24 clutch spring compression tools fitted the E-clutch spring retainer perfectly, allowing me to remove the circlip without difficulty

and then the spring and piston could be removed

Phil

FRESHMAN ROVER

RRPhil, brilliant as usual. You make it look so simple. If only workshop manuals came up to this standard!
    What's the failure rate and common problems with this box? I ask as I've not heard of any unlike its predecessor. This Jag engine with this box is my preferred choice when I next change my RR.

Best wishes.

Dijit

LEGACY VENDOR

Thanks Dijit.

Like yourself, I haven’t seen any particular mechanical/hydraulic issues with the 6HP26 being raised on any of the forums so it would appear to be an extremely durable transmission. It would be easy to say “still too early to tell” but the fact that the transmission has been around since 2001 means that there must be plenty of high mileage ones around and I think we’d know by now if there were any major issues. The only recurring niggles seem to be the 2-1 rollout shift clunks (which can usually be sorted by changing the fluid and reflashing the ECU software) and the ‘dropping into neutral when accelerating or cornering hard’ problem due to the cable clamp bolt corroding at the transmission selector shaft lever.

Let’s put it this way. If anyone was thinking of setting up in the ZF 6HP26 repair trade – I think business might be a bit quiet!

The seller of this particular unit, which I bought off eBay, stated that the transmission was ‘working fine when removed’ (though why anyone would wake up in the morning thinking “Hmm, my transmission’s working well at the moment – I think I’ll remove it and sell it on eBay for £50” I’m not sure) so I’m not necessarily going to find anything wrong with it as I work towards completing the teardown.

Phil

Sent you a PM Phil regards a ZF4HP24 mate.

Martin
    '98 P38 HSE, with a 325hp built Chevy 5.3l LSx motor and transmission, fully functional EAS, HVAC etc.
    '03 L322 HSE Bone stock, besides XM.
    '98 XJ Locked, geared, plated and on 37's.
    Custom fabrication, engine rebuilds and knowledge that comes from experience and not Google, always available for a reasonable cost.
    Reliable BECM repairs, and EAS Parts....www.becmdoctor.com

FRESHMAN ROVER

vote to please add to faq section. excellent thread

RRPhil check your pm

FRESHMAN ROVER

Anything by RRPhil gets my vote. There's genius and then there's RRPhil!

ctp
    FRESHMAN ROVER

RRPhil and Dijit,

I really appreciate your contributions and severely hope I don't need a transmission rebuild any time soon.

I did read Dijit's excellent results from a hot flush of the transmission cooler. I've only got 50k miles on the clock, 2008 4.2 Supercharged, but I am experiencing occasional hard shifts, particularly when cold, between 1 and 2, up and down. I've already decided on doing a transmission flush at the next service, and I am wondering if I should go for the full hot flush?

Anyone have a recommendation for a hot flush in Northern Virginia?
    2008 FFRR SC Westminster
    1999 Dodge Ram 2500 Quad Cab Long Bed Diesel (1-Owner)

FRESHMAN ROVER

ctp, thanks for your kind words but I obviously didn't make myself clear. The hot flush method flushes everything not just the oil cooler and includes a filter change. It's the only way of getting about 95%+ of the oil changed as draining and refilling barely affects 50% so the new oil ends up half contaminated with the old. The difference is dramatic as everyone who has been in the car since will testify. I'm about to change the car and I know prospective buyers who go for a testdrive are going to have their benchmark expectations rewritten! It is done with a special machine so be clear this is a proprietary process. As I'm in Glasgow, Scotland I can't help with NV.

ctp
    FRESHMAN ROVER

Dijit, You made yourself clear, I failed to clarify my remarks.

Several places offer a transmission "flush", including the dealer, but I strongly doubt these are "hot flushes". After I read your previous threads and comments I followed the links and did my own research. The hot flush machines I saw demonstrated use a rapid back and forth cycle to dislodge deposits, particularly in the cooler. Is my understanding correct?

The local dealer (Chantilly) is very hungry for service work and will price match. My debate is between going with a dealer "flush" or hunting down an independent with a hot flush machine for a 2008 truck that will cross 50K miles in the next few days.

Thank you again for sharing your knowledge and providing your opinion.
    2008 FFRR SC Westminster
    1999 Dodge Ram 2500 Quad Cab Long Bed Diesel (1-Owner)

FRESHMAN ROVER

ctp, let me put it this way, if it cost $1 for the flush and $250 for the hot flush, I'd spend the $250. It works, simple as that. Look for a local ZF agent with a hot flush machine. Otherwise I fear it's you that'll end up with the hot flush!

To RRPhil, and everyone else on the Internet who takes such time and pride in work like this teardown, thank you. While I am not a RR owner, I am a Jaguar owner, so I suppose that may make us kinfolk in a way. In the interest of sharing this excellent work, I posted a link to this teardown topic on jaguarforums.com, and thought I would stop by and give thanks and attribute excellent work!