05 Range Rover Steering ECU/Ignition lock problem
NEWS

1. Welcome to RangeRovers.net General discussion forum for Range Rovers

Welcome to RangeRovers.net - a website dedicated to all things Range Rovers.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, Join RangeRovers.net today!

+ Reply to Thread

Thread: 05 Range Rover Steering ECU/Ignition lock problem

FRESHMAN ROVER

Unhappy 05 Range Rover Steering ECU/Ignition lock problem

My 2005 Range Rover has a problem where recently the ignition lock won't release unless I remove and replace Fuse 18 in the passenger fuse box.

I can tell the steering lock does not work any more as it does not give that flick of the steering when I turn the key anymore and there is no "click" until I remove and refit the fuse.

I have checked all the fuses relative to immobiliser etc in the passenger fuse box, but have not checked fusible link 2 since I don't know where it is or how to get to it.

Based on what I have read across the forums, it seems to be a fault with the steering ECU and I am led to believe I need to change that and the ignition switch together. Before I fork out almost USD 4000 (which is what the dealer here in Qatar wants) I want to rule everything out.

I would appreciate some guidance from all you experienced guys out there. Particulalrly I would like to understand why, if the ECU and//or the ignition switch is goosed, why, when I remove and replace fuse 18, after a short time delay it all works and stays working unless I remove the key.

I'm desperate and need your help.

Thanks

2. Remove Advertisements
    Range Rovers Forum
    Advertisements

Re: 05 Range Rover Steering ECU/Ignition lock problem

Same problem here. Did you have any solutions?

FRESHMAN ROVER

I have the same problem with my 2004 HSE and am searching the forum for the answer, but haven't found it yet. Did you manage to fix yours?

Just bought the car yesterday with an allowance on the price for the USD7,000 quoted by the dealer on island here for a new steering column. I'll be happy to keep removing and replacing the fuse for that price, but I'd love to find the fix.

I've downloaded the workshop manual and looking forward to learning the car as future problems arise! It's my first Landy, proud to be joining such an active and well informed forum

FOUNDING MEMBER

Welcome to the forum, look here:Battery fully charge but engine won't turn over
    Ex-R.R.C. 3.9 1994

FRESHMAN ROVER

Thanks Zubi - I was really grateful to read your solution. I believe the problem with mine is the steering lock not engaging, therefore it's not getting the correct 'steering unlocked' message. I found the thread about the Greek mechanic who drilled a small hole in the steering column body to lubricate the lock mechanism and get it working. That'll be my future option!

In the meanwhile I'm putting together the same/similar solution as you - an inline fuse and switch from fuse 18 until I get the time to investigate the column in more detail. The only difference is I'm going to try using male spade connectors to attach to the fuse receptacle rather than fuse taps - as no one carries them over here. Did you find a good route for the wiring to keep it all looking nice in the glove box?

Thanks again, James

Hi chaps. I joined the forum because I have a 10 year old range rover that has caused me no end of bother! - latest issue is the Steering ECU. I tried the toggle switch approach for fuse 18, but it didn't work. So I then tried the disconnect battery option, which didn't work. I managed to find on another forum this article. - which meant drilling a hole in the steering column and squirting in some WD40.

anyway - it worked for me - so hopefully this'll work for someone else and will mean that I save someone the 7000 USD cost of a replacement!! by the way - I should add - this was a last resort for me - so if you do this, its at your own peril. - can't see why it might cause issues, but just a general disclaimer!

all the best

Disco.

FOUNDING MEMBER

If your gona drill, Be careful, I tried it, I ended up drilling right into the windings of the solenoid that makes this thing lock/unlock. Drill slowly and a bit at a time.
    Ex-R.R.C. 3.9 1994

Have a issue with 2005 RR like these. Any new solutions?? Disconnect battery and problem is solved. Will try fuse 18. Can you point me to the thread for drilling / WD40.

Thanks in advance!!!

In Fort Lauderdale

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.