the famous steering column tilt problem
NEWS

1. Welcome to RangeRovers.net General discussion forum for Range Rovers

Welcome to RangeRovers.net - a website dedicated to all things Range Rovers.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, Join RangeRovers.net today!

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: the famous steering column tilt problem

FRESHMAN ROVER

the famous steering column tilt problem

my freeky column has a mind of its own,put in key and sometimes it tries to lower,override with switch and up it goes reaches top and motor continues to run,have to blip switch to stop it,remove key and motor starts to run but wheel does not move,blip switch to stop,open door and motor runs again,blip switch to stop.put key in and down it goes override with switch and it goes up a bit,apply a push up on the wheel and it travels further up.get out of car fine,re enter put key in wheel moves up and motor keeps running blip switch to stop.tried memory settings at full up no joy,moved wheel all the way down and then all the way up and so far its fine,scared to touch now.how does the memory know where the wheel is, it must have a reference point, which mine is confused about.
    ps.when this first started i thought i would just go to the dealer and get them to switch of the easy entry function,they said you need a new column that will be a 1000 OUCH!

2. Remove Advertisements
    RangeRovers.net
    Advertisements

SOPHOMORE ROVER

Re: the famous steering column tilt problem

As I recall there is an issue with a module located under the seat that impacts this issue. Has to do with the memory seats I believe.
    2007 Range Rover HSE Lux

FRESHMAN ROVER

at last a reply,thanks.yes the seat memory unit controls the column re the easy entry and exit.i had a problem with the lumbar not deflating which turned out to be a loose connection on the valve block,but as far as i am aware this is not connected via the the memory module,the current situation is that having moved the column all the way down then all the way back up{with some help by pushing on the wheel}it now works ok .i would like to know how it references its position,i think mine lost the plot.

FRESHMAN ROVER

I recently fixed that problem on my 04 HSE as well. My driver seat memory switch went out which did not allow me to record the seating position on the seat, hence; was affecting the tilting and reach on the steering wheel. Upon placing a new memory switch for my
    DS, it allowed my steering wheel to tilt and reach work once again.

Also, the one thing I've noticed about the tilt angle on the SW is, where the connection of the 3 wire connector is at, some times it gets a bit loose and it there's no solid contact, chances are your steering tilting won't work properly. Good luck with that mate.
    Fernando

SOPHOMORE ROVER

I have the same issue with mine in fact it would extend then drop down and trap my legs Dangerous if you ask me. So much so that I adjusted the column and then pulled the power to the tilt. PIA. Anyway having thought about this a little more I am going to look at the info from the Hall effect switch. I am wondering if the switch has fowled. I will let you know what I find.
    2003 HSE with 2004,2005,2006,2007,2008,2009,2010,20011 and now 2012 Parts in it

FRESHMAN ROVER

One of the first things that I did with my All Comms from Storey Wilson, was to override the feature of the column every time you turn off the car and take the key out, to avoid unnecessary movement and wear damage from the mechanisms. Just that feature, paid for the All Comms in my opinion.

The memories are still there, as well as the memory settings of each one of the keys.
    2005 Range Rover HSE w/32K miles
    1965 Nissan Patrol w/ 300K +miles

@Esteban, i did the exact same thing as soon as i bought my all comms software. I simply adjusted the steering wheel to my preference and then disabled the function so my steering wheel stays in the same position all the time. I found it very annoying when the steering wheel retracted everytime the key was turned of, not to mention the 1000 bill to sort this out when it went wrong.
    "I'D RATHER BE DEAD THAN GIVE UP MY RANGE ROVER"

FRESHMAN ROVER

thanks for the replies guys,over a week now and no problem,i dont know if the act of moving it all the way down and all the way back up{with a little help by pushing on it},has reset it but it seems ok.

RETRACTING STEERING COLUMN column tilt problem

I also am annoyed when the steering column retracts upward every time I turn the key off. How can I disable this feature so the steering wheel stays in the same position?

SOPHOMORE ROVER

Re: RETRACTING STEERING COLUMN column tilt problem

I believe you have to go to dealership to have them change your preferences via computer.
    2007 Range Rover HSE Lux

FRESHMAN ROVER

Quote Originally Posted by rfdiii View Post
    I believe you have to go to dealership to have them change your preferences via computer.
    Tried that steeler said they could not do it ???
    Attie

FRESHMAN ROVER

Quote Originally Posted by Attie View Post
    Tried that steeler said they could not do it ???
    Attie
    Of course... They want to sell you the complete unit $$$$

Please refer to postings #5 & #6. We both have managed to use All Comms​ for this purpose.
    2005 Range Rover HSE w/32K miles
    1965 Nissan Patrol w/ 300K +miles

I've had similar issues in my '08 L322. Sometimes it'd work great for months, then it'd lose it's brains every time for a stretch. It would always fully retract when turning off the vehicle. However when starting, the wheel would stay fully retracted and not return to it's previous position, nor would it move when pressing a memory preset. I found that if I ran the tilt through a full sweep, I'd get some grinding noises full up, or full down, and it's "know" where it was again.

I took it to the dealer and they replaced the tilt motor. It seemed to work fine for less than two weeks. Now, it sometimes "forgets" where it is at. Always retracts when turning the key off, as before. It doesn't "grind" at full retract or bottom positions as before. To remedy, I usually just set the tilt where I want it and reprogram the memory setting. It'll be okay for awhile until it "forgets" again.

Is the position sensor built into the motor? Or does the memory module (as eluded to above) somehow "keep track" of where tilt is at? Could this be a simple calibration/indexing procedure that yanking fuses 22/23 could/should remedy (that maybe wasn't done correctly at the dealer)?

Going for a "hail mary" before I head to the dealer again--unfortunately I can't turn it off by getting All Comms.

Thanks.
    Tim

JUNIOR ROVER

Quote Originally Posted by Esteban View Post
    Of course... They want to sell you the complete unit $$$$

Please refer to postings #5 & #6. We both have managed to use All Comms​ for this purpose.
    My dealership said they couldn't do it either, except I think they said was only possible on 03-05 models and they couldn't do it on 06+ jag version?. Basically the answer I got was just to pull the fuse.
    2006 Range Rover SC
    2013 Audi A7
    1999 RR County(SOLD)
    2007 Infiniti M35X(SOLD)
    2005 RR HSE (SOLD)

Tim,

Did you ever get your steering column tilt issue resolved. I've been battling the same issue for a year now with multiple trips to the dealer to resolve. They finally replaced my steering column a couple of months ago which seemed to have worked, but only for a few weeks. My tilt is back to having a mind of its own. Most often it simply stay retracted to the dash when I start it. It occassionally extend out, but not go down into position. My last visit to the dealer it finally duplicated the issue for them, but they are out of ideas it seems.