Expedition Rack for 2006 Range Rover HSE L322
NEWS

1. Welcome to RangeRovers.net General discussion forum for Range Rovers

Welcome to RangeRovers.net - a website dedicated to all things Range Rovers.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, Join RangeRovers.net today!

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Expedition Rack for 2006 Range Rover HSE L322

Expedition Rack for 2006 Range Rover HSE L322

While this doesn't apply to my daily driver, I have heard it rumored that some people want to off-road their Range Rover HSE and may be interested in the spectacular expedition rack made by Voyager Offroad, formally Rover Racks, in Port Charlotte, Florida. I needed a rack to move materials that wouldn't fit in the generous cargo area that is my L322.

Since I live in the Great White North, Edmonton, Alberta, Canada to be more specific, shipping costs on a roof rack, especially a full sized one, can be more than the cost of the rack itself. I was looking at the Rhino Racks, built in Australia, distributed by a company in Colorado and I was hoping that they could easily be shipped from a retailer in Missoula, MT at a realistic cost. Since they were unaware that any company other than UPS ships to Canada, my first fear was realized.

I continued my quest and heard rumors about an expedition rack, based on the original one designed by Land Rover for the L322, was available from a company based in Florida but the spectre of excessive shipping charges loomed large again. I was pleasantly surprised when a phone call to Voyager Offroad informed me that the $1049 steel rack would cost less to ship all the way from Florida, than an aluminum rack would cost delivered merely from Montana.

I pulled the trigger and received my prize within 3 weeks, as they make them once you order them. They can customize any number of options for you including a floor and a wind deflector. The rack has feet that line up almost perfectly with the OEM mounting points on the FFRR. Just flip open the plastic covers, unscrew the stainless factory plugs, insert the included mounting feet and tighten up the stainless bolts. Should you want to remove the rack at a later date, you merely loosen the bolts, remove the rack and close up the little doors. Back to stock.

2006 Range Rover HSE

2. Remove Advertisements
    RangeRovers.net
    Advertisements

Re: Expedition Rack for 2006 Range Rover HSE L322

2006 Range Rover HSE

2006 Range Rover HSE

All is not perfect in the L322 Roofrack land, however. Upon cruising out onto the highway and up to speeds in excess of about 80km/h (50 mph), I started to expect an airline captain to come on through the radio speakers and tell me to keep my seat back in the upright position. I looked online at Voyager Offroad and they have a wind deflector which looks rather nice for about $180.00, IIRC, but being an offroader, I figured I could get one made up for substantially cheaper and forego the dreaded shipping costs. I went to a plastics shop here in Edmonton that quoted me about $35 to have one made up as long as I provided them with a template. In the mean time, I came upon a post that suggested that a majority of the wind noise could be eliminated with the application of simple heating pipe insulation and I went down to the local Totem Building Supply, handed over a mere $2.00 and installed it with a few zip ties. Where it was hard to hold a conversation at 110 km/h before, a quiet conversation is now not a problem. I will make a template and have a plastic one made up in the future but at least now, the wind noise is almost not there.

Thanks again to the guys at Voyager OffRoad in Florida and BearTrax here in Edmonton.

2006 Range Rover HSE

FRESHMAN ROVER

Looks awesome. I think I will order one.

A couple questions.
    1. Does it take more than 1 person to install?
    2. How is your gas mileage with the rack installed?

Thanks
    AUSTIN, TX

03 RR HSE
    07 RR HSE
    94 D90 ST

CJD
    JUNIOR ROVER

Great info! I've been wanting one for a long while....just can't bring myself to pull the trigger on the price.

John

I use an app called Gas Cubby for my fuel mileage and repair cost tracking and in the city and in the last two tanks, I might have lost about .5 of a mpg.

The rack install is a two man job, not because of the weight, but because of the bulkiest of the rack. I think start to finish was about 45 minutes.

Greg
    2006 Range Rover HSE

That looks awesome. Is it as tough as it looks in the pictures? Been drooling over those for my P38.

If there is anyone out there thinking about building a similar rack and ladder combo PLEASE hurry up!!!!Hint-Hint to people in southern California.
    2001 4.6 HSE java black (mine, all mine)
    2004 Jeep Grand Cherokee WJ (wife's driver)
    1986 Toyota pickup (mud racer, getting a 600hp LQ9 swap)
    http://www.becmdoctor.com

JUNIOR ROVER

Nice rack. Looks very similar to the factory SD (Safety Devices) rack with the nice contours with the roofline. Yes, windnoise can be rough. I am curious as to the windfairing you are going to have made and how you will attach it to the rack. Please share when you have it completed.

I use the rack on my P38 for every offroading trip.

YooperP38: Voyager also makes a rack and ladder for the P38. In addition, you can buy a P38 ladder from socalusedroverparts.com http://www.socalusedroverparts.com/product_p/ladder.htm which is the ladder I have on my P38. It is an exact replica of the SD factory ladder and very high quality. I highly recommend it.
    2001 Range Rover 4.6 SE - SD rack, sliders, ladderr, steering guard, front diff guard, rear diff guard, Warn XD9000CE winch, factory winch tray, aluminum radiator, 255/85 r16 KM2s, RTE 3 coils, adj panhard rod... ARB 50qt fridge, GoalZeroExtreme350
    2006 LR3 SE - ARB bumper, Superwinch EP9, Hella 4000s, Expedition rack, Sasquatch rods, GY MTRs 275/65 r18s

FRESHMAN ROVER

Any updated pics of the new wind faring device?
    AUSTIN, TX

03 RR HSE
    07 RR HSE
    94 D90 ST

Haven't had a chance to get to the wind deflector. **** work keeps me from the important things.
    2006 Range Rover HSE

FRESHMAN ROVER

Did you ever get a wind fairing put on?

FRESHMAN ROVER

How high does it build - I just made a post where I ask about low build roof racks - this as I don't want roof torn off when entering parking buildings...

The post is here: Low roof rack / expedition rack - max 200 cm - where can I find one?

FRESHMAN ROVER

How do you like your Voyager rack after having it a couple years? I'm about to make the call and get one for my sport, but then I just saw a dozen negative feed back reviews regarding the weld, rust, and being cheaply built. I'm not sure if these are real, or maybe a competitor trying to pitch the Baja rack. What are your thoughts? Do you have a recent picture after time in the weather?

Thanks

I like the rack. It's done everything I expected it to do and has held up well through being outside all winter. One of the welds had a little rust on it when i got it and it hasn't gotten any worse. Otherwise nothing I wouldn't have expected from a harsh Canadian Winter.

Here are some pics:

2006 Range Rover HSE