Headlight won't come on (after bulb change)
NEWS

1. Welcome to RangeRovers.net General discussion forum for Range Rovers

Welcome to RangeRovers.net - a website dedicated to all things Range Rovers.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, Join RangeRovers.net today!

+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Headlight won't come on (after bulb change)

FRESHMAN ROVER

Headlight won't come on (after bulb change)

Okay this is the deal, I have a 2005 RR and my right low beam is out. I changed my bulb and still didn't work, after reading an earlier tread I'm thinking the igniter is the problem. I was also told that it could be the ballast, but IDK. Can someone let me know which is most likely to go out, the ballast or the igniter? What the difference between the two?

2. Remove Advertisements
    Range Rovers Forum
    Advertisements

Re: Headlight won't come on (after bulb change)

You can test them by moving them to the left side and seeing which one makes yout left light go out.
    My mind is aglow with whirling, transient nodes of thought careening through a cosmic vapor of invention.

FRESHMAN ROVER

Okay but from my understanding to get to the them you have to disassemble the light totally.

FRESHMAN ROVER

Does anyone know which one is more common to go out?

Quote Originally Posted by 1BAR View Post
    Okay but from my understanding to get to the them you have to disassemble the light totally.
    You said you changed a bulb, but you don't know whether you have to disassemble the whole part? Or did you misunderstand? The recommendation isn't to change the igniter/ballast, it's to swap the blub. If the old or new left blub in the right side works, then it's not the bulb.
    2004 L322, 265/50R20 Yokohama tires. "Mrs. Jones" ("We've got a thing going on")

Actually I was suggesting swapping the ignitor over to test the ignitor. Aaking what is more common to go out doesn;t mean that is what went out. You are still going to have to test before purchasing unless you want to toss money at it and pray.
    My mind is aglow with whirling, transient nodes of thought careening through a cosmic vapor of invention.

SOLIHULL ROVER

Quote Originally Posted by RRToadHall View Post
    Actually I was suggesting swapping the ignitor over to test the ignitor. Aaking what is more common to go out doesn;t mean that is what went out. You are still going to have to test before purchasing unless you want to toss money at it and pray.
    That's one way to do it but it's a lot less work to swap over the working bulb from the other side first... If it goes on then it's the bulb and you figured that out without pulling the ignitors.

Well yes, except that in his original post he states he already replaced the bulb. Although I guess he could have bought a duff bulb.

FRESHMAN ROVER

Hey guys I did swap bulbs, both bulbs work fine on the driver side neither worked on the passenger side. Maybe i should just try to swap the ballast first, because it seems to be on the back of the light unit and not inside. I really don't want to just toss money in the air and wish for a prayer, but I'm kind of afraid to take the entire light apart.

CJD
    JUNIOR ROVER

Yes, the ballast is more common to fail than the igniter. It is also easier to replace, although new ones are terribly expensive. I shopped EBay for mine, which was much cheaper. You have to remove the light assembly to reach the 3screws holding the right side ballast. The left side ballast can actually be removed with the light assembly in place, since the air filter is not in your way.

John

FRESHMAN ROVER

Okay thanks i will try swapping the ballast to the other side later today, I will update you guys later.

FRESHMAN ROVER

If you've not removed the left (USA passenger side) headlamp assembly before, please be very patient. After taking off all the air-filter assemblies (not difficult), you should put some strong duct tape on the top of your bumper, otherwise you will scratch it when you slide out the headlamp assembly. Use a very thin plastic thing to coax the duct tape under the headlamp, so that when you pull out the light, the duct tape stays put, and you slide the light over the duct tape. The most difficult thing about re-installing the light is to make sure the one flat 'clip' (almost 1" wide, bottom of light, slightly right of center) slots into the housing. This isn't too difficult, BUT you also have to make sure the headlamp-washer pipe fits through the headlamp assembly. The natural thing to do seems to be to slot the washer pipe through first, and then try to attach the clip. This didn't work with my car - it's almost as if the washer pipe is too far over to the left. The way I finally managed to do it is put the longest nail I could find into the washer-pipe, put the headlamp onto this, and 'bend' (push with left hand thumb) the nail to move the pipe over to the right slightly (1/4 inch), so that I could slot the bottom clip in properly, and at the same time move the pipe over enough to get it through the hole on the left side of the headlamp. Make sense? be careful removing the tape, and use a mild soap or detergent with soft cloth to remove any tape-residue.
    Simon Nevill
    Madison, Wisconsin
    (Ex-Brit from Devon)
    2008 Land Rover LR3 HSE (Lux, HD, Mantec Sump Guard and Warn 9.5xp Winch)
    2003 Range Rover HSE

FRESHMAN ROVER

Sorry to get back to you guys so late, but it was the ballast. I changed the the ballast and now I have light!! I spent about twenty-five minutes in all. Thanks for all the help... DIY is the way to go.