2004 HSE battery replacement
NEWS

1. Welcome to RangeRovers.net General discussion forum for Range Rovers

Welcome to RangeRovers.net - a website dedicated to all things Range Rovers.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, Join RangeRovers.net today!

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: 2004 HSE battery replacement

FRESHMAN ROVER

2004 HSE battery replacement

Hello Everybody,

Not a new subject here but one I need some info about. Pls bear w/me. I need to replace the battery in RR. The Optima brand batteries are popular among your group and i'd like to install either an Optima D31A Yellow top or a D31M Blue top for their deep cycle advantages. Yet I have found that battery product search engines indicate that neither of these batteries will fit. But the compartment space appears adequate and other model years can accept these battery sizes. Will they fit in my 2004 RR HSE?

? #2 Any precautions on that incendiary positive battery lead? I have disconnected the negative lead to recharge the existing battery but have not ever pulled the positive lead.

? #3 The open hood access to the rear battery compartment is tight. Can the hood be opened any wider without fully removing the thing?

Thnx.....

2. Remove Advertisements
    Range Rovers Forum
    Advertisements

Re: 2004 HSE battery replacement

Welcome to the forum.

If you pop off the hydro lifts on the hood at the fender the hood will fold back (check youtube for a video on this).

Personally, I chose the Interstate. It has a long full-replacement warranty and longer prorated. I think it was 6 or 8 years prorated and 3 or 4 replacement. I paid $165 for it.
    2004 L322, 265/50R20 Yokohama tires. "Mrs. Jones" ("We've got a thing going on")

Also, if you disconnect the negative first you should not have a problem with the positive. (I'm guessing you do not have the owners manual. There is a negative and positive connection outside the battery box that allows for easy charging.)
    2004 L322, 265/50R20 Yokohama tires. "Mrs. Jones" ("We've got a thing going on")

FRESHMAN ROVER

Thank you. Found the video on you tube and it does answer some of my questions. I am still curious as to the fit of the replacement battery. The battery in place is some 15 inches wide, 6 or so inches deep and the entire depth including the lead attachments is over 9 inches. And there seems to be space beyond these dimensions. Yet the battery product search engines for this model/year do not indicate that it will accept the physical size of these Optima batteries even though they are comparable in size. Yet these batteries are deemed 'a fit' for 2003 HSE models. Is this some branding quirk associated with the BMW manufacture or what? I'd hate to get a battery that would not fit.

Unfortunately, since I bought the Interstate I can't help you on the size issue.

I for one have never understood anyone having issues with the physical size of a battery, especially on an older rig, when their rigs are up and running. You hop in the car, drive to a supplier and have them match up or closely match what you have. If they don't have it on the shelf they open up their book or hop on a terminal and browse by dimension and positive terminal location and order it. I don't know of any suppliers that don't have a size chart for phone or special orders. Even msot web sites have dimensions and positive side listings.
    My mind is aglow with whirling, transient nodes of thought careening through a cosmic vapor of invention.

FRESHMAN ROVER

Quote Originally Posted by RRToadHall View Post
    I for one have never understood anyone having issues with the physical size of a battery, especially on an older rig, when their rigs are up and running. You hop in the car, drive to a supplier and have them match up or closely match what you have. If they don't have it on the shelf they open up their book or hop on a terminal and browse by dimension and positive terminal location and order it. I don't know of any suppliers that don't have a size chart for phone or special orders. Even msot web sites have dimensions and positive side listings.
    Hmmmm..... Well, ToadHall, I only report what I am exposed to trying to problem solve on-line. I have no idea why battery manufacturers or their retailers would uniformly indicate a size limitation. Pardon me for not being inclined to drive around town when such assets as the web and this forum present better options than some clerk at an auto supply outlet. I would have thought that if there was a peculiar and real reason for this situation that I might find the answers here more readily and accurately. The solution I have chosen is to purchase a product I know I can return should the need arise. Thank you for your wise counseling.

The Optima batteries are fine. I just don't recommend them. Too many seem to be defective (according to what I read).

The Odyssey will fit just fine also, although you may need to replace the ground cable with a slightly longer one (I did). I actually got the DieHard Platinum PM1, which is identical to the Odyssey, both made by the same company. Don't let them tell you it won't fit. It does, and mine has been flawless so far. Being sealed, hopefully it won't leak acid everywhere like the interstate did. Time will tell.
    2004 Range Rover Westminster (past)
    2007 Range Rover SC (current)
    Massachusetts, USA

FRESHMAN ROVER

I totally agree with Linux. I purchased the Diehard that he suggested in a post awhile back and it's been flawless. 300 bucks seems high but you won't be sorry. I had to install a longer ground cable too, but it fits perfectly. Jim

Quote Originally Posted by Deniles View Post
    Hmmmm..... Well, ToadHall, I only report what I am exposed to trying to problem solve on-line. I have no idea why battery manufacturers or their retailers would uniformly indicate a size limitation. Pardon me for not being inclined to drive around town when such assets as the web and this forum present better options than some clerk at an auto supply outlet. I would have thought that if there was a peculiar and real reason for this situation that I might find the answers here more readily and accurately. The solution I have chosen is to purchase a product I know I can return should the need arise. Thank you for your wise counseling.
    Wow. Sorry you felt the need to take my post as a personal statement towards you. I was simply making a general comment. Good luck in your search.
    My mind is aglow with whirling, transient nodes of thought careening through a cosmic vapor of invention.

Quote Originally Posted by linuxfreakus View Post
    Being sealed, hopefully it won't leak acid everywhere like the interstate did. Time will tell.
    That's the main selling point of AGM batteries, no? Virtually no chances of leaks or acid fumes, even with the battery mounted upside down. My guess is that AGM will become the automotive industry standard in a few short years. If you shop around, there is a much wider selection of AGM batteries now than there was just a year or two ago. Sears has a new Advanced Gold AGM (a bit cheaper than their Platinum and available in new sizes), AutoZone now offers a Duralast Platinum AGM, etc. Lots of choices, it's not just Odyssey or Optima anymore.
    Last edited by umbertob; March 1st, 2012 at 09:43 AM. Reason: Typos

New to our forum? Do NOT click here!

Indeed it is one of the main selling points, however, if something goes terribly wrong, they do still contain acid... so there is the potential for it to come out

The potential is far, far less than a non-sealed battery of course.

Regarding the size, I was told point blank by multiple sales people and their mechanic that my DieHard battery not only would not fit, but would not work for starting a car because it is a marine battery. I tried to explain that it exceeds the specs of the stock battery, but they just didn't get it. I had to argue with them to sell me one (they were kept behind the counter) and they refused to install it (I did not want them to anyway!!). They even told me they did not have ANY battery they sold that would fit my vehicle. I can't say I'm surprised to see people coming to this forum to ask about batteries, because there are some foolish people working in some of these stores.
    2004 Range Rover Westminster (past)
    2007 Range Rover SC (current)
    Massachusetts, USA

I just purchased a duracell battery for my rover from sams club for $88.22 fits perfectly and great warranty. Looks like Deka east penn manufactures the battery under part number 9AGM49
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 2004 HSE battery replacement-sams-batt.jpg  
    2004 Range Rover HSE 4.4
    JL Audio 13w7 JL 1000/1v2
    Angel Eyes
    Strut grille

Hey JG87 I own a 2003 Range Rover HSE and am looking to replace the battery. Mind If I ask how well that Duracell is holding up for you?

The battery is holding up great. I can leave my rover for 3-4 days now without starting it even in the cold and it cranks up fine.
    2004 Range Rover HSE 4.4
    JL Audio 13w7 JL 1000/1v2
    Angel Eyes
    Strut grille

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.