NEED SERIOUS AND URGENT HELP GUYS....car wont start
NEWS

1. Welcome to RangeRovers.net General discussion forum for Range Rovers

Welcome to RangeRovers.net - a website dedicated to all things Range Rovers.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, Join RangeRovers.net today!

+ Reply to Thread

Thread: NEED SERIOUS AND URGENT HELP GUYS....car wont start

FRESHMAN ROVER

NEED SERIOUS AND URGENT HELP GUYS....car wont start

buddie of mine has a 2007 RR and had an idiot install a new instrument cluster....upon putting it together things went down south. spent 12hrs on it but we were unable to get it to start.Here is a timeline of what happened:

-installer put the cluster in and started the car to ensure it was working properly before re-assembling everything. car started fine and cluster seemed to work fine. He shut off car and proceeded to finish re-assembling the console. i noticed the headlights had been on and right before he put the final piece i asked him to start the car just to be safe. It would not turn. horn worked fine, lights worked but car would not turn. seemed like it was immobilized. the different lights in the cluster started flashing with the parking brake and AFS indicators blinking faster than normal. at this point horn and headlights worked fine so i figured it was not the battery. Also, at this point, the messages, "Engine system fault", Transmission system falut" "tire monitoring system fault"and "check brake pads" were being displayed in the message display. Also, the lights would be flashing like in an armed mode.

We hooked it up to his Toyota sienna thinking the battery was a little drained but still no luck at starting the car. thinking the battery on the sienna was not strong enough, I called roadside assistance and they came with a big battery. Same thing...no luck at starting .
    We disconnected the battery for a while (but did not leave key in ignition. i later saw online something about leaving key in ignition when disconnecting battery. After a while, connected it back but no luck. At this point however, I noticed the system seemed to have returned back to normal (as in when key is turned, the instrument panel lit up as normal when turned to ignition and the lights weren't flashing like crazy and the messages were gone BUT the car would still not start when turned to end ).Noticeable also by now was the low battery as the headlights didnt come on and interior lights were very dim. Connected sienna to it again and the ignition came back to life and all lights worked and interior lights brightened up. But still turning the car to start still proved abortive. This made me believe that the security system of the car might have shut down the entire car. Roadside called tow truck and we had it flatbedded to my friends shop. This was at 3.30am...all the way from 6pm in the evening. FML

I know these cars are very senstitive and something as simple as a drop in the battery voltage could have led to all this. I am seriously hoping and praying its just a matter of drained battery and system reset and nothing else. We are scheduled to fly out on Friday and would love for this to be resolved before then.

Has anyone experienced this before or have any insight on the situation. All inputs are greatly welcomed and appreciated.

Thanks

olddog

2. Remove Advertisements
    RangeRovers.net
    Advertisements

FRESHMAN ROVER

Re: NEED SERIOUS AND URGENT HELP GUYS....car wont start

I am assuming that all you did was just swap clusters and nothing else? If so, thats not going to work! The Instrument Cluster is the Gateway for all the bus systems and also serves as redundant data storage for very important information! To properly install an instrument cluster, it must be "setup", which includes coding of the cluster and the transfer of the redundant data.

If this is a used cluster, I'm not sure it will work. If its a new cluster, hopefully its not to late to get it coded for the vehicle!
    2008 Range Rover HSE
    2004 BMW 745Li

FRESHMAN ROVER

i forgot to mention, he ended up putting back the old cluster and all that happened as i described are with the old cluster in place....
    Am going to start with recharging the battery today...but can someone tell me how to reset the security system?
    Last edited by olddog; December 28th, 2011 at 05:29 AM.

FRESHMAN ROVER

With the old cluster back in place, is there a tiny dot above the mileage on the odometer? If so, this is a manipulation dot, which indicates that there is a data mismatch between the cluster and LCM (Lighting Control Module). If this is occurring, then the data in the LCM may be corrupt from the "other" cluster. Was this a used cluster?

Since the cluster is the gateway to the bus systems, that means the Immobilizer (PATS) goes through it as well. If there is no manipulation dot on the ORIGINAL cluster when installed, I would disconnect the battery and leave the cables held together for 30 minutes (make sure both cables are removed). This will wipe the volatile memory of all the on-board modules (as well as radio presets, etc...). Then, with a known good battery (have yours charged and tested or replaced) hook it back up and give it a try.

If you still have the manipulation dot with the ORIGINAL cluster installed, you will need an Autologic or IDS unit to get it sorted.
    2008 Range Rover HSE
    2004 BMW 745Li

FRESHMAN ROVER

still no luck....
    it is currently at my mechanics place. he uses the Autologic unit. we did a scan and found about 9 faults. cleared it and scanned again. Now there seems to be only a few faults. but still car wont turn.
    Here are the faults from the scan now:
    2 Modules with faults: PCM (5faults) and VIM (1fault)

PCM
    Engine Control Module with 5 faults:
    P0575-01: speed control cancel button fault- General electric failure
    P0579-1c: speed control multifunction input A-circuit range/performance- Circuit voltage out of range
    P2118-00: Throttle actuator control motor current range/performance.-no sub type information
    U0151-31: Lost communication with restraints control module- no signal
    U0424-81: invalid data received from heating.

VIM
    Vehicle |Immobilizer Control Module (1 fault)
    U0155-87:Lost communication with instrument pack control module- missing message

This is really annoying how these cars can be so intricate and turn into a complex issue for something as common as a drained battery. We hooked up the battery to another battery and then a charger all through the day but i dont think it is charging properly cos it doesnt hold anything when disconnected. thinking about buying a new battery in the morning.
    Any help is appreciated guys.
    Last edited by olddog; December 28th, 2011 at 04:11 PM.

FRESHMAN ROVER

Those loss of communication codes could be the result from low voltage.

If the battery won't hold a charge, then I would start there first. I have seen batteries that were internally shorted/open that would prevent a car from starting, even with Jumper Cables hooked up.

Start with a fresh battery and old cluster and see what you come up with.
    2008 Range Rover HSE
    2004 BMW 745Li

FRESHMAN ROVER

my guy fixed it all today....thanks for your help

CJD
    JUNIOR ROVER

So, how did he fix it??? I feel like I've been watching a great movie, but missed the ending!

John

FRESHMAN ROVER

Besides the fact that the installer broke something in the cluster which triggered the problem, It had to do in part with the battery not fully charged. And that was causing a disconnection and communication error between the cluster and starting module. (if i can call it that).

everything is great now....am so happy my friend didnt have to take it to the LR dealer.