air suspension inactive?
NEWS

1. Welcome to RangeRovers.net General discussion forum for Range Rovers

Welcome to RangeRovers.net - a website dedicated to all things Range Rovers.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, Join RangeRovers.net today!

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: air suspension inactive?

FRESHMAN ROVER

air suspension inactive?

I have a Range Rover L322 on a 03 plate "air suspension inactive" came on after leaving the car parked for a couple of hours. It was fine before this. I'm a retired mechanic so thought I'd check a few things to see if I could see what the problem was & noticed that the passenger side air bag was completely deflated but all the other corners are fine (i.e. hard). The light on the hight control switch is also out & was working fine before. The rocker switch for the hight has no effect. The air bag looks OK & may have been changed recently as the car has 98000 miles on it but no cracks in the air bag. Anyone got any ideas what could have caused this to happen or a possible cure or things worth checking?

2. Remove Advertisements
    RangeRovers.net
    Advertisements

FRESHMAN ROVER

Re: air suspension inactive?

Anyone got any ideas what could have caused this to happen or a possible cure or things worth checking?

SOLIHULL ROVER

Probably a blown bag or a damaged hose... You're in hard fault, the computer has shut down the suspension system in an attempt to protect itself, you have no easy way of inflating the bag to check for leaks without resetting the computer. You could try the battery trick to clear the codes (pull positive and neg off the battery and touch them together (resets all the computers). That may or may not work in your situation. Once the code is cleared out the computer is going to attempt to level that side out, you should hear a hissing if it's the bag, although sometimes it may leak at one ride height/condition and not another. More often than not it's tough to see where the leak is coming from, it's not always a giant visible tear in the bag. If you're able to get the codes pulled it will probably tell you something like (too much pressure for front) meaning there is a leak and the compressor is using too much energy to maintain height, then hard fault. You'll probably need to replace the blown strut, ideally both fronts at the same time. Or again, it could be a hose.

FRESHMAN ROVER

Hi Brad
    Thanks very much for the reply, I'm going to have the fault codes read in the morning so I'll report back on what it is & hope to get it fixed soon. I'm using the wifes smart fortwo at the moment & some how it's just not the same

JUNIOR ROVER

Quote Originally Posted by glideman
    Hi Brad
    Thanks very much for the reply, I'm going to have the fault codes read in the morning so I'll report back on what it is & hope to get it fixed soon. I'm using the wifes smart fortwo at the moment & some how it's just not the same
    I call those the coffin-for-one they were smart in the naming of those vehicles. You get in a wreck in that thing at least your funeral expenses will be less.

FRESHMAN ROVER

I've been to my local indi Land Rover garage & they cleared the fault codes which were something to do with inbalance in the suspension. The car then went back up to normal ride hight but VERY slowley. It was even slow to deflate the bags. When I got back home a couple of miles away I checked the air bags with soapy water at all hight settings and could'nt find any leaks. Went for a drive & the fault "inactive air suspension" came back but this time BOTH front air bags deflated! I returned to the garage & they said it's probably the air compressor/pump which I've ordred for delivery in the morning and should be able to fit before the end of the day myself. The cost of the pump? 350! Hope it works, will report back tomorrow. . . .

FRESHMAN ROVER

Quote Originally Posted by nsxxtreme
    Hi Brad
    I call those the coffin-for-one they were smart in the naming of those vehicles. You get in a wreck in that thing at least your funeral expenses will be less.
    The fortwo has a very good crash test rating actually much better than most saloon cars

FRESHMAN ROVER

My one gave a fault code that the air pump was overheating.
    The local garage said that the original temperature tollerance was set too low by Land Rover. They did a software upgrade which should allow the air pump to get hotter without giving an error. Well that was back in June and so far so good!

SOLIHULL ROVER

I've been to my local indi Land Rover garage & they cleared the fault codes which were something to do with inbalance in the suspension. The car then went back up to normal ride hight but VERY slowley. It was even slow to deflate the bags. When I got back home a couple of miles away I checked the air bags with soapy water at all hight settings and could'nt find any leaks. Went for a drive & the fault "inactive air suspension" came back but this time BOTH front air bags deflated! I returned to the garage & they said it's probably the air compressor/pump which I've ordred for delivery in the morning and should be able to fit before the end of the day myself. The cost of the pump? 350! Hope it works, will report back tomorrow. . . .
    Replacing the pump won't remedy a sinking air suspension, unless of-course the pump is dead and the car has been sitting for days and days, but a bad pump won't cause the range to rapidly sink. For it to just sink like that means there is a leak somewhere. The reason it went up when they cleared the code is because they reactivated the system and the compressor filled the system... For it to just sink and throw the inactive message up minutes after the codes were cleared means there is something physically wrong, the system is losing air. Spraying soapy water on the struts isn't always the sure fire way to ID a leak... I did that and it revealed nothing, it was only after I fully removed the strut and filled it with my shop compressor I was able to ID the leak. I bet your compressor is fine, and if your struts are fine maybe it's a sticking valve in the block or a hose. Regardless your suspension was probably slow to raise because the compressor is also compensating for a leak somewhere in the system. If the compressor is making noise, and the range raises for any amount of time, the compressor is fine, even if the suspension is slow to actuate. The health of the pump doesn't have much to do with how quickly the suspension actuates anyway. The compressor pressurizes a tank, and from that stock of compressed air is how your suspension actuates... The only time the compressor itself works on raising the suspension is when you've played with the ride height control long enough to exhaust the air tanks, at which point the compressor effort can be directly measured with how quickly the bags are filling.

I would say you have a leaking strut, or a fouled up hose. There is one common issue you may want to check, if you're on the original battery check the surrounding area for dried up acid... It is extremely typical of the battery to leak acid, below the battery there air front suspension air hose cross overs, the acid can drip down and foul up those hoses. If you pull the batter, then the battery box, examine those hoses down there, if there is any acid residue down there that could also be your issue.

Good luck

FRESHMAN ROVER

Wow thanks brad s1, I've got a few things to check there I replaced the pump today and the car is still giving the air sus inactive & another display message something like suspension inoperative 35mph max or something like that. One good thing though, the pump is very easy to replace, took me about 10 mins. I'll take it back to the garage on monday to have the fault codes cleared & see if it's working again. I've tried the shorting the bat leads out & turning the steering lock to lock but this did clear the orange light on the dash, must be a steering angle sensor or something similar. Thanks for all the advice guys it's been realy useful as I am a mechanic but with zero knowlage on these cars. I've always wanted a Range Rover & keeping it running is proving a challenge! The good thing is the advice people like you are willing to give away for free I've fixed the mirrors which were not folding when I got the car & also the reach adjustment with a couple of heavy duty cable ties & done a full service (how much oil! ) . This is the first thing which other than the servicing and petrol has cost me anything so I'm lucky realy. I've also changed the back lights for 2005 supercharged ones but this was more that I prefer the look of the lights then anything

FRESHMAN ROVER

If anyone needs a new air compressor I found them for $415.50 + shipping on this wbsite: https://www.arnottindustries.com/ . All other sites where $550-$800. Hope this helps everyone save some money.
    2004 Range Rover HSE

FRESHMAN ROVER

Got the fault codes re-set today & the car is still not working! The sus still says inactive on the display I'm doing some more investigating in the morning to try to find the fault. This car is costing me big time & it's not over yet. My next job is to jack the car up & check for leaks on the extended air shocks, maybe the fault will be easier to see if I can see the full leg. I can hear a hissing noise coming from the near side suspension leg since fitting the new pump but it's still not inflating the bags properly, I'll report back tomorrow night. Who knows this may help someone in the future. . . .

SOLIHULL ROVER

Again, this probably doesn't have much to do with the compressor as much as it does with the struts/bags. Personally I'd do the struts as a pair, they're going to run you at least $400+ each (reman or reproduction), or $1500 each if you're buying from the dealer.

FRESHMAN ROVER

Yeah, you got a leak for sure. Also, my friends bag had a leak that would only show up in access mode with the soap test. If you hear the hissing, the leak is pretty substantial. The link below should help you as it describes every component of the system in detail.

http://www.rangerovers.net/repairdet...ion/index.html
    03 Range Rover HSE

FRESHMAN ROVER

Hey, Can you help me please! I have L322 range rover 3.0 td6 turbo diesel 2003. When I park the car it emits hissing sound near the front right wheel during 10-15 seconds and then stops. The same sound when I open the door in the morning. Also car writes Air suspension inactive. Battery of the car is very weak and I am going to replace it but will it help? Might it be the battery cause or front air suspension might be leaking ?