Key Programming - Should I risk it!?
NEWS

1. Welcome to RangeRovers.net – General discussion forum for Range Rovers

Welcome to RangeRovers.net - a website dedicated to all things Range Rovers.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, Join RangeRovers.net today!

+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Key Programming - Should I risk it!?

FRESHMAN ROVER

Key Programming - Should I risk it!?

Hi All,

I will be ordering a new key from the main dealer within the next few days

I understand that they charge £60 for programming, but some of you guys have actually done this yourselves? Just wanted to check if its advisable and if it will actually work?! Not to fond of the idea of having no working keys if i get it wrong.

These are the instructions I have:

Programming a new Key

Replacing a missing master key is quite expensive from Land Rover, try not to get sucked into the extra cost of "Dealer coding" You can do this yourself in 2 minutes by following the simple process below.

1) Get in and close all doors. Turn ignition on and off quickly and remove the key (all within about 5 seconds).

2) Within 30 seconds of turning the ignition off, while holding down the "unlock" button, press the "lock" button three times. Release the "unlock" button. (You may or may not get the confirmation from the door locks.) Holding the key at your head level provides best results as the key sensor is in the side window pillar.

3) Repeat for each key you want to initialize within 30 seconds after the last one you initialized (if you have more).

4) Right after doing the last key, quickly put the key back in the ignition and turn it on/off again to finalize.

If anyone has any advice or expereince on this it would be ace!

Cheers
    Matt

2. Remove Advertisements
    Range Rovers Forum
    Advertisements

FRESHMAN ROVER

Re: Key Programming - Should I risk it!?

Recently had to replace batteries in my key fobs, followed the instructions. worked a treat
    http://i262.photobucket.com/albums/i...xa/Jakeeee.jpg
    Two things in a bloke's life, his DOG & his CAR!

On recent model years (06+) the key's EEPROM chip needs to be programmed via diagnostics to be able to start the engine. You can sync the remote yourself, but to defeat the immobilizer you need someone - dealer or independent - to program a new key first, no other ways around it. Not sure if technology on earlier model years is different, though.

New to our forum? Do NOT click here!

FRESHMAN ROVER

My car is an 03 td6 - it seems like the instructions do work for a new key if its cut etc and supplied by the dealer for most people, and it could save me a few £££....i'll have a think as to if i attempt to do the 'programming' steps myself...

FRESHMAN ROVER

My dealer "programmed" it right there in front of me and did not charge me. Ask your service advisor to do it if you have a good relationship and are a bit concerned about messing it up.

It really is not that big of a deal even if you wanted to do it yourself.
    2004 HSE Albuquerque, NM

FRESHMAN ROVER

After buying 3 batteries I took a look here and found this - Worked great!!! 4 months of not having a working key fob sucked - Thanks so much!! Also, never realized I could open all the windows by holding the unlock button then close them with the key in the door - Thanks again!!

Hi all,

I bought a 2003 RR last week, it came with only one key and this key is in very bad shape. I ordered a new key from the dealer for 260 $ and they asked me another 150 $ for programming. When I got the key, I used the programming procedure here, it worked just fine, the first time, so I saved 150 $.

Thanks a lot for the info.

Regards,
    Stéphane
    Montréal (Québec)

FRESHMAN ROVER

Do it yourself. The LCD doesn't flash as rapidly as the instructions say but it works. Just did it yesterday after my BCM erased its settings when my battery run low.
    03 RR L322, Nissan Murano, 2001 BMW E38

Quote Originally Posted by TD6Matt View Post
    Hi All,

I will be ordering a new key from the main dealer within the next few days

I understand that they charge £60 for programming, but some of you guys have actually done this yourselves? Just wanted to check if its advisable and if it will actually work?! Not to fond of the idea of having no working keys if i get it wrong.

These are the instructions I have:

Programming a new Key

Replacing a missing master key is quite expensive from Land Rover, try not to get sucked into the extra cost of "Dealer coding" You can do this yourself in 2 minutes by following the simple process below.

1) Get in and close all doors. Turn ignition on and off quickly and remove the key (all within about 5 seconds).

2) Within 30 seconds of turning the ignition off, while holding down the "unlock" button, press the "lock" button three times. Release the "unlock" button. (You may or may not get the confirmation from the door locks.) Holding the key at your head level provides best results as the key sensor is in the side window pillar.

3) Repeat for each key you want to initialize within 30 seconds after the last one you initialized (if you have more).

4) Right after doing the last key, quickly put the key back in the ignition and turn it on/off again to finalize.

If anyone has any advice or expereince on this it would be ace!

Cheers
    Matt

It worked for me. Just I couldn't programme the second key during the process. What has to be repetead in step 3?

FRESHMAN ROVER

It took three me three times repeating the process, but it worked for me (2004 HSE).

Thank you for posting. It saved me $129 and a couple hours of my precious time by not having to go to the dealer. It's bad enough that the key cost me over $300.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.