2005 vs 2006 Range Rover HSE. Help?
NEWS

1. Welcome to RangeRovers.net General discussion forum for Range Rovers

Welcome to RangeRovers.net - a website dedicated to all things Range Rovers.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, Join RangeRovers.net today!

+ Reply to Thread

Thread: 2005 vs 2006 Range Rover HSE. Help?

2005 vs 2006 Range Rover HSE. Help?

Hello everyone,

I have some questions regarding the 2005 and 2006 Range Rover HSE models.

I am soon to be in the market for a new car, and I am having a hard time deciding whether I should get a 2005 or a 2006 Range Rover. I prefer the 2006 over the 2005, but there is a non-surprisingly large price gap between the two because of the major mechanical improvements made for the 2006 model. The reason why I like the 2006 more than the 2005 is because of its revised front fascia and its improved engine, which is supposed to offer more power and better gas mileage. However, like I said it is more expensive than the 2005. Now, I am more interested in aesthetic appeal than performance or efficiency. Because of this, if I were to buy a 2005 I would convert the front fascia to look like a 2006 Supercharged model (including the mesh vents and Eurostyle clear tail lights, which I would put on the 2006 model if I bought it instead so it will look like the Supercharged model). The only problem with this idea is that I would want my 2005 Range Rover to look exactly like a 2006, and I am not entirely sure if that is possible.

To make it easier on you all, I will just list my questions for you to answer. The previous paragraph was just some background information to help everyone become better-acquainted with my situation.

1) Should I buy a 2005 Range Rover HSE and convert it to look like a 2006 Range Rover Supercharged, or should I buy a 2006 Range Rover HSE and convert it to look like a 2006 Range Rover Supercharged? And where can I find the parts?

2) Which engine is better, the BMW engine or the Jaguar engine?

3) Does the 2006 model have any sheet-metal or exterior differences besides front fascia, headlights, and tail lights? This can include subtle differences in metal creases or added-on parts.

4) Do you HAVE to fill the Range Rover with premium fuel? What happens if you don't?
    Jeeps are for Barbies.

2. Remove Advertisements
    RangeRovers.net
    Advertisements

FRESHMAN ROVER

Re: 2005 vs 2006 Range Rover HSE. Help?

first off welcome to the forum

1. Rather then building a SC look alike - get a SC. The difference in price isn't that much on a '06
    2. Much debate on that one. Search button is your friend
    3. Not sure. See #1
    4. Premium is suggested. Again there is debate on this too (search the forum). My opinion; If the $5-$8 is too much. You may want to look at a vehicle that suggests 87 octane

I really would like to buy the Supercharged, but swinging the price of a regular 2006 HSE is seeming to be a bit of a stretch (I am merely a senior in high school, so my resources are limited as you can assume). That is why I am looking to buy a 2005 HSE. I can also imagine my insurance being a lot cheaper on a car without a supercharger
    Jeeps are for Barbies.

I got an 2005 RR HSE I think it is a very good truck, and they do cost less than the 06, I didnt want an 06 as it seemed that it was made with cheaper parts
    The 06 has the Jag engine and there are not many of them compared to all of the BMW X5s running around so parts can be had at the BMW dealer as well
    That said it looked to me like Jag cheapened out on lots of little parts like the headlight for EG the 05 has replaceable glass covers for about 100. each,
    the 06 has plastic headlights that are not replaceable and these cost each 700.00 from the dealer.
    The plastic will haze over and fog up.
    It sounds more like your interested in looks than longevity though so the other advice to buy a supercharged truck might save you a bunch of time in the long run,
    good luck with your decision
    Stan

2005 HSE , Giverney Green/ Oxford Leather
    Aurora Co.

FRESHMAN ROVER

Doing a conversion is not exactly cheap. The amount of money you will spend on labor + parts will be almost as much as the difference between a 05 and 06. Get an 06 and call it day. However, the 06 model did have some problems as it was the first year of the new jag engine etc... if you can stretch your wallet or parents wallet a bit...go with a 2007 In the long run may be a better option since 07+ do not have too many issues.

I recently converted my 2008 to a 2010+ MY and it wasn't cheap! lol I spent close to 10K doing the while conversion including new wheels/tires. I got back about 4K for my old parts though so I ended up spending 6K. I was able to sell all my parts to a guy who has an 05 and was going to do the conversion, but when he saw how much labor is needed to put everything together and wire everything properly he backed off. Still kept his word and bought my parts but is now deciding what to do as many shops have never done these conversions in the US so they will be experimenting. You will need new headlight connectors (which are almost impossible to find now-a-days) and getting a custom airbox installed as the new 2006+ passenger side headlight won't fit with the old style airbox. You will have to do a bit of welding to the front frame to fit new brackets and buy a whole array of little trim pieces...new crash bar, brackets, sensors, fog lights, etc...you can source the parts on eBay but that is quite a task and buying the parts at the dealer is ridiculously priced.

Get an 07 for a legit price if you can...search harder lol

Good luck.
    2008 RRSC Westminster
    - 2010+ MY Conversion

2001 4.6 HSE P38
    - 265/75R16 Nitto Terra Grapplers
    - 2" OME Springs
    - Fox Reservoir Shocks
    - Tom Woods Double Cardan Driveshafts
    - Adjustable Panhard Bars
    - Custom Stereo

SOLIHULL ROVER

Quote Originally Posted by Willsanders
    I really would like to buy the Supercharged, but swinging the price of a regular 2006 HSE is seeming to be a bit of a stretch (I am merely a senior in high school, so my resources are limited as you can assume). That is why I am looking to buy a 2005 HSE. I can also imagine my insurance being a lot cheaper on a car without a supercharger

You probably shouldn't get a Range Rover then, if you're working on "limited resources," the first time something goes wrong you're going to be in big trouble. I know if I had one of these in high school I wouldn't have been able to pony up the random $1000+ dollar repair bills that happen here and there. Have you done any research as to costs of ownership? An alternator uninstalled will run you around $800, then dealer labor isn't cheap. Just getting codes pulled on it can run $100, the air suspension is wear and tear and can run thousands to repair.

Unless you're flush with cash, or your parents are willing to bail you out, I'd look for another highschool car.

I am going to agree with brad here ... Range rover is not a good high school car. If you really can afford it or your parents can then I guess it might not be a disaster but I know I would have never accepted anything like that from my parents. If you happen to be *really* handy and do car repair it might be more realistic to afford the maintenance but otherwise any trip to the dealer for any reason will cost $$$.
    2004 Range Rover Westminster (past)
    2007 Range Rover SC (current)
    Massachusetts, USA

LIFETIME CONTRIBUTOR

Quote Originally Posted by Willsanders
    Now, I am more interested in aesthetic appeal than performance or efficiency.

Do you HAVE to fill the Range Rover with premium fuel? What happens if you don't?
    No, you should use either kerosene or used motor oil mixed with Dawn dish detergent.
    In a pinch, you can use sugar water instead of gasoline; it works just as well, but there's a vast conspiracy of oil company executives keeping this information from the general public.
    You should try this on your dad's BMW X3. Use at least a pound of sugar.
    Jim
    2000 NAS HSE
    2005 NAS HSE

SOPHOMORE ROVER

Very simple, if you are worried about using prem fuel, you need to be driving something else....
    05 HSE 4.4 (Daily, Pure Joy)
    95 RRC SWB 3.9 (Spare)
    63 SIIa (Beach, Dogs, and a blast to drive)
    86 930 (Adrenaline rush when the boost comes...)
    05 E320 (Wife)
    A few boring BMW's for the kids....(E30, E36, E46, E53)

SOLIHULL ROVER

You don't, "need," to use premium fuel, the computer will compensate... Premium fuel will perform better though.

SOPHOMORE ROVER

Not sure about the Jag trucks, but with the BMW trucks, it is highly recommended. Why take a chance.
    05 HSE 4.4 (Daily, Pure Joy)
    95 RRC SWB 3.9 (Spare)
    63 SIIa (Beach, Dogs, and a blast to drive)
    86 930 (Adrenaline rush when the boost comes...)
    05 E320 (Wife)
    A few boring BMW's for the kids....(E30, E36, E46, E53)

SOLIHULL ROVER

Quote Originally Posted by timc
    Not sure about the Jag trucks, but with the BMW trucks, it is highly recommended. Why take a chance.
    Because running lower grade gas isn't a risk, you just sacrifice a bit of performance. It's not like it's 1970 where running lower grade gas in a car setup for high grade will cause knock and a lean condition. The cars computer has sensors in place to determine if there is knock and retard the timing if need be. It's perfectly fine unless you're buying really really crappy watered down gas. The only reason you'd put the high grade in, is if you wanted the most out of your engine.

Also, if your knock sensor failed while using the lower octane fuel it could lead to damage (still could be fine, it is just possible), whereas with higher octane it shouldn't lead to damage since the engine is designed for it. Personally, for a small difference in price, I figure why risk anything? If you can't afford premium fuel for a large vehicle, most likely you still can't afford regular either and might be wise to consider something more economical, or just use public transportation if available.
    2004 Range Rover Westminster (past)
    2007 Range Rover SC (current)
    Massachusetts, USA

FRESHMAN ROVER

I had the same decision to make....got the 06...and I'm glad I did. More reliable IMHO....As far as the fuel...you're only talking about $8.00 more per gallon...
    2006 Range Rover HSE LUX
    2008 Audi A 6