CD changer disc tray stuck. Any trick to fix?
NEWS

1. Welcome to RangeRovers.net – General discussion forum for Range Rovers

Welcome to RangeRovers.net - a website dedicated to all things Range Rovers.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, Join RangeRovers.net today!

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: CD changer disc tray stuck. Any trick to fix?

FRESHMAN ROVER

CD changer disc tray stuck. Any trick to fix?

FYI.....The CD changer is relatively new. Was replaced with a new one a couple years ago.

Problem:
    I was driving home yesterday and when it went from disc 5 to 6 it got stuck. No the display just says NO DISCS. You can see in the picture that it appears the tray that hold the disc 5 disc is stuck out. I have discs in all 6 slots. What is the fix for this? I have done some searching but it seems that alot of the problems were with cartridges not ejecting and the solution was the release tab on the bottom was being held up. This appears to be something else.

What's even more frustrating is I am using the Urban Rover iPod cable (XRAudiokit) that requires the CD changer to be playing a disc to function. I use this to listen to sat radio and ipod. Right now I have no CD changer, no ipod, and no sat radio. ARGH!!!!

Any help the forum could provide would be greatly appreciated!
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails CD changer disc tray stuck.  Any trick to fix?-photo.jpg  

2. Remove Advertisements
    RangeRovers.net
    Advertisements

FRESHMAN ROVER

Re: CD changer disc tray stuck. Any trick to fix?

I had this exact same problem with the cd changer discs not retracting and not ejecting. The only way i could get the cd changer to work and for the cartridge to eject was to remove the cd changer and dismantle it. The problem turned out to be the micro switch inside cd changer that had got stuck, a simple press of the micro switch and the disc tray retracted back into the cartridge. Then the eject button started to work again and the cartridge started to work again

Matt

FRESHMAN ROVER

Rats! I was afraid of that. I guess tomorrow's project is to R&R the changer. I have found several links to remove the changer. Any advice on where this micro switch is? Pics would be great!

Really appreciate your input

FRESHMAN ROVER

Got the changer out and fixed. Unfortunately, it looks like when the previous owner had the CD changer replaced a couple years ago the dealership really did a hack job on the glove box latch. The two torx screws were completely stripped and the latch itself was cracked. So I drilled out the screws, removed the latch and ordered a new one. Right now, I have a huge hole in my passenger side footwell where there once was a glvoe box

Nobody stocks the latch so I ordered it from "Lard Rover Parts Center" for $50 less than my local dealer wanted. Fookin crooks! I'll have to put everything back together next weekend.

As far as the changer, it appears to have been the cartridge that was giving the changer problems. After I fixed it and reset it, it did it again. Glad I decided to test it out BEFORE the whole glove box, etc, went back together. I had a backup cartridge that was virtually brand new and it works like a champ. I did take the advice somebody posted in one of the R&R glove box DIY threads about not putting back the 4 screws on each side of the glove box housing that holds the changer so if there ever is another problem in the future I can just slide it out. It isn't going anywhere without those screws so I'm not worried about that. I test it out and it fits nice and snug.

FRESHMAN ROVER

There is a really simple fix to get the cartridge out without taking everything to bits. I have to do it to mine about once a week. Open the cd door, Hold down the eject button and hit the cartridge fairly hard with the top of a screwdriver or similar. It will release the cd tray and the cartridge will pop out.
    To fix the problem you need a new cartridge. They distort with heat and thats what causes the problems.
    I took my whole cd changer apart 3 times before I found this quick fix.
    Actually it reminds me. Mines stuck now. I'll do it this afternoon.
    L322 2002 4.4
    1973 Series 3 leafer

FRESHMAN ROVER

hit it! LOL

FRESHMAN ROVER

Tried the "hit it" method before taking everything apart. No luck. The tray would not retract. At least now I know that keeping the 8 screws (4 per side that attach it to the glove box) off will allow for easy removal should it happen again.

At some point I will replace that antiquated system with a full aftermarket setup that is much more user friendly. I don't even listen to the changer but it has to be running a disc for the Urban Rovers kit to work.

FRESHMAN ROVER

Dell you have to tap / HIT it quite hard to get it to release. Have to have the eject button pushed in at the same time.
    L322 2002 4.4
    1973 Series 3 leafer

FRESHMAN ROVER

Quote Originally Posted by Locky
    Dell you have to tap / HIT it quite hard to get it to release. Have to have the eject button pushed in at the same time.
    I agree, every few weeks mine gets stuck and a repeated rapid push of the eject button which also jostles the entire cd player releases the disc and then the magazine. Very simple, but annoying.
    2003 Range Rover HSE, 4.4L
    All Stock
    Epsom Green Micatallic

FRESHMAN ROVER

Quote Originally Posted by Locky
    There is a really simple fix to get the cartridge out without taking everything to bits. I have to do it to mine about once a week. Open the cd door, Hold down the eject button and hit the cartridge fairly hard with the top of a screwdriver or similar. It will release the cd tray and the cartridge will pop out.
    To fix the problem you need a new cartridge. They distort with heat and thats what causes the problems.
    I took my whole cd changer apart 3 times before I found this quick fix.
    Actually it reminds me. Mines stuck now. I'll do it this afternoon.

Thank you SO MUCH! I love this forum.
    2004 HSE Albuquerque, NM

FRESHMAN ROVER

Quote Originally Posted by rcshauger View Post
    Thank you SO MUCH! I love this forum.

LOCKY dude I could bloody kiss you (in a non gay way!) My CD changer has been stuck for over a year, any research I done said take glovebox apart. I thought I gotta get this done sooner or later but I'll just check forums one last time and this worked straight away!!! HIT IT! So simple yet so effective! Popped straight out!

Amazing... It worked! Yesterday I couldn't get the cartridge out and luckily I decided to try to ,,google" this problem, before doing anything drastic. Thanks

Mine is stuck in the exact same position as yours- cd5
    "I'D RATHER BE DEAD THAN GIVE UP MY RANGE ROVER"

Definately going to "hit" it,
    "I'D RATHER BE DEAD THAN GIVE UP MY RANGE ROVER"

FRESHMAN ROVER

Had the same problem, disc 2 would not retract, tried hitting no joy. Re read the thread about keeping button pressed whilst hitting. WORKED. Thanks very much
    http://i262.photobucket.com/albums/i...xa/Jakeeee.jpg
    Two things in a bloke's life, his DOG & his CAR!