Best extended warranty pricing and options
NEWS

1. Welcome to RangeRovers.net – General discussion forum for Range Rovers

Welcome to RangeRovers.net - a website dedicated to all things Range Rovers.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, Join RangeRovers.net today!

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Best extended warranty pricing and options

FRESHMAN ROVER

Best extended warranty pricing and options

I have a 2008 RR HSE. I want to get an extended warranty. Spoke to the dealer to where I have a good relationship and they quoted me a 4 year/100k extended warranty for $4749. They claim this includes a $1000 discount because of my dealer relationship. The company is Premier Essential. They claim they are the best. Anyone have any experience with them and what is a good price these days for a 4 year/100k warranty?
    2008 Range Rover HSE
    2006 Porsche C4S Cab
    2005 Audi S4

2. Remove Advertisements
    Range Rovers Forum
    Advertisements

FRESHMAN ROVER

Re: Best extended warranty pricing and options

Extended warranties are a total minefield, from my research I came to the conclusion I will self fund.
    There is an excellent thread on this forum regarding extended warranties and in-depth review of one such company? that offers policies.
    I do know that the couple of RR dealers I talked to their pricing was absurd either for RR or no RR policies.

Good luck on your investigations and please let us all know what you find.

FRESHMAN ROVER

Good Morning, I replaced my 2004 with 97K on the odometer with a 2008 with 28K and purchased an extended warrantee from the dealer.
    I opted for 4years 100k with a $100 deductable, total price with tax was $2,600. I know the GM at the dealership very well, I know they made some money but not much. I suspect their cost was $1,800 -2,000. If they are quoteing you almost $5k for a service contract look somewhere else.
    J.J.Jones
    jjjones
    Oak Harbor, WA
    2001 Range Rover
    2004 Range Rover
    2008 Range Rover

FRESHMAN ROVER

jjjones - I would be curious to know if your extended warranty is "Exclusionary Coverage"? Hard to believe for the price you paid. I got the dealer down to $4000 for the 4yr/100k with exclusionary coverage. I checked with Auto Advantage today and they were quoting $7000 for the same coverage. Forget that!
    2008 Range Rover HSE
    2006 Porsche C4S Cab
    2005 Audi S4

FRESHMAN ROVER

There are tons of horror stories out there on every high end car board. What you rarely hear anyone admit to is, they paid $5k for an extended warranty and used it once, meaning they probably wasted a few grand. Remember warranties only cover failures, so your service records need to be spotless. If your engine blows and the oil changes are not to schedule or poorly documented plan on a fight.
    Before dropping $4-$5k on an extended warranty ask yourself, why would someone provides this insurance. The answer is to make money.
    More often then not they will not have to pay out $4k in reimbusements. How do they do that: historical repair data, challenging repairs, slow paying claims, or going out of business when they run out of new customers. IMHO stick the $4k in the bank and self fund your part failures.

JJJones,

I will be grateful if you can share the dealership information, so that some of us can patronize it. I would like to buy an extended warranty, when purchase of a RR is done. I presume it does not matter where you purchase it, as I am based in Chicago.

Thanks

FRESHMAN ROVER

Quote Originally Posted by Afrcshore
    JJJones,

I will be grateful if you can share the dealership information, so that some of us can patronize it. I would like to buy an extended warranty, when purchase of a RR is done. I presume it does not matter where you purchase it, as I am based in Chicago.

Thanks

Check this... did not purchase RR from this dealer, but got the premium coverage...

viewtopic.php?f=5&t=44291#p372112
    1999 LR Disco Series II (Sold)
    2001 LR Disco Series II
    2004 LR RR HSE

FRESHMAN ROVER

rzundel wrote:

> I have a 2008 RR HSE. I want to get an extended warranty. Spoke to the dealer to where I have a good relationship
    > and they quoted me a 4 year/100k extended warranty for $4749. They claim this includes a $1000 discount because
    > of my dealer relationship. The company is Premier Essential. They claim they are the best. Anyone have any experience
    > with them and what is a good price these days for a 4 year/100k warranty?2008 Range Rover HSE

I also have a good relationship with my dealer and bought a CNA National 4 year/48k (to 110k) extended warranty for my 2004 RR HSE a little over a year ago for $4,702. It has a $100 deductible, but that is per visit not per problem so you can wait for five little problems and have them fix a leaking radiator, a power seat that does not work, a stuck sunroof and leaking valve cover gaskets and only pay $100. I think that the most important thing to do with an extended warranty is to buy it from the dealer that will do the warranty work. You might pay a little more but you have a dealer that likes the warranty company and is more likely to do warranty work for them. Dealers are more likely to push back when you try to get them to work for a company they have never heard of (and you will probably spend a lot more time on the phone).

I have owned over two dozen cars in the last 30 years (mostly BMWs with a few Porsches and five Land Rovers) and September 2010 was the first time I paid for an extended warranty. In the past I actually posted on line telling people that they are not a good deal. Here is what changed causing me to buy one. 1. With interest rates so low I'm not making much of anything on extra cash, back when I ran the numbers on buying a warranty for my 4.6HSE the lost interest on the money would make it cost more than $1,000 over 4 years (With money markets paying so little I have most of my cash in FDIC accounts earning even less so I might not even cover a tank of gas with the interest I lose today). 2. The RR L322 HSE has a lot more things to go wrong than most cars and they cost a lot to fix. Talking to owners and mechanics it sounds like most people are covering the cost of a warranty since Insurance companies look at history to set premiums they will make more money if a car gets more dependable and/or cheaper to fix and they will make less money if a car gets less dependable and more expensive to fix (it seems like Range Rovers are getting more expensive to fix). 3. As I get older I just don't have the time to spend hours on the internet trying to track down why the fan that cools a circuit board in the Range Rover is making noise, reading how to replace it, buying the part and replacing it on a weekend. With the extended warranty my wife can just take it to the dealer, tell them about the noise and go shopping in the free loner car they give her and I don't have to deal with it (this is worth more to me than it used to be worth since I have less free time).

> 2006 Porsche C4S Cab 2005 Audi S4

I thought rzundel might like to see a photo of my garage back before I was married with kids.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Best extended warranty pricing and options-hse-996-small.jpg  
    1989 Range Rover Classic - Sold (after 10 great years)
    1998 Range Rover HSE - Donated to Charity (after the engine died)
    2004 Range Rover HSE - (Shares a garage with the 2001 Disco II "work truck")

I just bought a 2007 RR Supercharged with 62k miles. I have usaa as my auto insurance and they have an extended warranty product through Assurant. They offer a 3 yr, 36k mile comprehensive policy for $5,200. This is their highest end or exclusionary policy. My main concern is the suspension and it is covered under the plan. Below is the coverage under the "advanced technology" section in the contract:

Electronic Suspension — Variable suspension struts,
    switches, air tubes, control processor and sensors, air suspension bags, compressor, lines and fittings. Four-Wheel Steering – Steering pump, gear housing or rack assembly and all internally lubricated parts, power cylinder, center shaft, stepper motor and control processor and sensors. Traction Control — Linkage, solenoids and control processor and sensors. Memory Seat and Steering Wheel — Activator switches, motors, solenoids and control processor and sensors.

The exclusion section says the following items are not covered:
    Voice Recognition Systems; Brake pads, shoes, rotors and drums; Manual & Hydraulic clutch assembly such as, but not limited to; Manual clutch pedal, clutch disc, pressure plate and throw-out bearing; Tune up, battery cables, Air, fuel and oil filters; Coolants, fluids, alignments, if not in connection with a covered repair; Spark plugs, Plug wires, Glow plugs, Drive belts, rubber hoses, exhaust pipes, catalytic converter, resonator, EGR vale and solenoid, shock absorbers; Wheels, tires, covers, wheel balancing; Contamination of any kind, Corrosion, Rust, Hazardous waster removal, detonation, pre-ignition, carbon build up, sludge, electrolysis; Any components that its only purpose is for illumination such as, but not limited to; Sealed beams, high-intensity discharge (Xenon) headlamps, LED’S and light bulbs; Lenses, secondary or Back up batteries, battery packs for Hybrid VEHICLES; Care phones, Any body component such, but not limited to; Bright metal parts, body panels, hood, trunk, rubber moldings, weather strips, metal, all glass, defogger and plastic trim; Upholstery, seat pads, vinyl top, wiper blades, wipers arms, carpet, cup holders, normal maintenance items or services, rattles; Water leaks, wind noises, any non factory installed components, Convertible top and assembly (with exception to the convertible top motor) , Safety restraint systems (Air Bags or seat belts) or any part thereof; Infrared systems or any part thereof Perimeter warning systems or any part thereof; Charges for shop supplies, storage or freight charges.

My question is does this sound reasonable cost wise? Are the exclusion items too many? Trying to decide whether to self finance repairs or get the warranty.

FRESHMAN ROVER

Question - What is the deductible cost? And is the deductible 'per visit' (good), or 'per repair or item (bad).
    Advice - Go to the best Range Rover repair facility you can find (yes, they do vary!), the one you plan to use when (yes, when!) it starts to break down, and make sure they will honor the terms of the contract, with minimal fuss, and without you having to pay for the repair up-front. Also, make sure this repair facility will give you a loaner car at no cost to you, while yours is in the shop.
    Simon Nevill
    Madison, Wisconsin
    (Ex-Brit from Devon)
    2008 Land Rover LR3 HSE (Lux, HD, Mantec Sump Guard and Warn 9.5xp Winch)
    2003 Range Rover HSE

I purchased Ford's PremiumCare ESP, it covers me for 4 years/48k miles and cost $3800. The PremiumCare ESP covers a lot of things, you can read more about it http://owner.ford.com/servlet/Conten...=1236173431164 . So far I've had my compressor replaced and seals in the transmission replaced (fluid included) under warranty. Good luck.
    2006 Range Rover HSE

CJD
    JUNIOR ROVER

I have been with USAA for 35 years. They were once the best company on the planet, bar none. They now suck big time. Even ignoring that, extended warranties are a rip off. For every owner that gets a reimbursement, there are 10 who are denied their claims for nebulous reasons. It's gambling, and in gambling the house always wins. There is nothing that can go wrong with your suspension that will cost over $5k.
    John
    2004 322 RR HSE
    Southlake, TX

Welcome! You'll love (and hate) your RR as we all do (although leaning towards one or the other depends on the day). As with CJD, I have been with USAA for 35 years, but I still think they're pretty good. The question is whether you think you'll spend $5,000 on repairing covered items and will you go beyond the 36k miles within the 36 months or not. I think it looks like a reasonable coverage - and I would check with the shop you are planning to use to see if they have a problem with the provider. For me, I purchased a major-component warranty in case of big things (hence "major component"). The suspension is really nothing - a sensor and bladder (held on with a handful of nuts/bolts) at each wheel, a compressor, valve block and some tubing/connectors. Fixing the suspension is *nothing* - cost is minimal. I had the driver-front go. Arnott (don't care to get into an argument over Arnott vs. other options so don't hijack the thread) replacement was $350. 5 nuts, disconnect line, get the new one and do it the other way. My wife added the first two nuts on top because it was hard to reach. 30 minutes including jacking up the truck and removing/replacing the wheel. Any good shop can do it for <$100. You'd need 10 to go out to cover $5,000. But, you will have some problems that will require work. It unlikely the suspension is going to be the expensive repair for you.
    2004 L322, 265/50R20 Yokohama tires. "Mrs. Jones" ("We've got a thing going on")

Guys, thank you so much for the responses. Much appreciated and welcoming.

@nevill: $5200 is for a $0 deductible, they don't sell a plan with a deductible.
    @rhood: I tried to apply with ford but they said they would not provide coverage on land rover anymore. When did you get your warranty?
    @cjd and Leboyd: your insight is very helpful

Quote Originally Posted by Cwjvm View Post
    Guys, thank you so much for the responses. Much appreciated and welcoming.

@nevill: $5200 is for a $0 deductible, they don't sell a plan with a deductible.
    @rhood: I tried to apply with ford but they said they would not provide coverage on land rover anymore. When did you get your warranty?
    @cjd and Leboyd: your insight is very helpful
    I purchased mine last April through a local dealership.
    2006 Range Rover HSE

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.