NavTool Video in Motion - Install HELP
NEWS

1. Welcome to RangeRovers.net – General discussion forum for Range Rovers

Welcome to RangeRovers.net - a website dedicated to all things Range Rovers.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, Join RangeRovers.net today!

+ Reply to Thread

Thread: NavTool Video in Motion - Install HELP

FRESHMAN ROVER

NavTool Video in Motion - Install HELP

I purchase the Navtool VIM module and am having problems installing it. I have called NAVTool (and emailed twice) asking them to send me the instructions that were suppose to come with the module. No avail.

It's suppose to be plug and play. I had the toushscreen module pulled out from the dash and none of the factory connectors fit into NavTool's harness plugs. Looking for help from someone who has installed the module themselves.

Where do I plug the VIM module into - the back of the touchscreen unit? Also, I think I need an additional cable that's not provided in the kit, nor mentioned is needed on their website. Please help. Thanks
    '06 FullSize RRSC BLK/Sand: RSE w/ NavTool Hack
    2001 Disco II SE7 Blk/Sand: 2" OME Lift: ARB Bull-Bar
    Glenside, PA

2. Remove Advertisements
    Range Rovers Forum
    Advertisements

Re: NavTool Video in Motion - Install HELP

For sure you will need an interface video cable to run between RSE module and touchscreen, since it was completely missing on 06-08 RR in North America and no video playback was possible even with the car in Park. If it's like the 2006 RRS it would be Fakra SMB on one end (to plug in the available input of the same color behind the touchscreen monitor) and probably S-Video on the other end (to plug into the available port on the RSE module.) In the picture below - yanked from Navtool's web site - it almost looks like the lone cable on the bottom may be it - although it would be way too short for a Sport, since the RSE module is all the way in the rear quarters of the car, so it's quite a run to get behind the front monitor... Did you get that cable? You may need a M-F S-video extension cable to connect the two, depending on where the RSE module is mounted in a Range Rover... Just guessing, though. The module itself looks simple to install - in one way, out the other - but if you say none of the factory harness connectors match maybe they sent you the wrong module? Hope you get it sorted with them, for $450 they should at least call you back.

New to our forum? Do NOT click here!

FRESHMAN ROVER

I am just cusious why you chose this product over the less expensive NavTV interface? I am looking to do this soon as well, so I would love to hear your input as to why you went this direction, and if you feel there are any advantages.

Best of luck with the install and please update as to your progress.

FRESHMAN ROVER

thanks for the replies. it turns out I will need an additional s-video cable to connnect the touchscreen to the rse module. Where is the RSE module located in a '06 RR fullsize??? Under the front glovebox or in the rear with the dvd changer??
    '06 FullSize RRSC BLK/Sand: RSE w/ NavTool Hack
    2001 Disco II SE7 Blk/Sand: 2" OME Lift: ARB Bull-Bar
    Glenside, PA

I ordered the NAVTOOL for my 06 RR SC and didn't receive any instructions. I emailed them the other day and still haven't heard back. The unit I bought (RRVIMFAKRA) came with a short fakra to RCA cable which I assume needs to run from the back of the screen to the rear left (US) panel and connect to the RSE. Based on what I am reading here I would need a 12-15 ft RCA to Svideo to extend what NAVTOOL sent me. Any info or links would be appreciated. Just want to make sure I know exactly what I need before I start tearing part my dash.

FRESHMAN ROVER

The install is pretty easy. I did mine a couple years ago. See this link: http://www.navtv.com/userfiles/editor/file/manuals/OPV-1R/OPV-1R.pdf

M
    y cable is going from the back of the screen to my micca speck hdmi 1TB and I have a on of videos/movies and pictures on it. It plays on the front screen and the 2 headrests.