Key won't turn in ignition
NEWS

1. Welcome to RangeRovers.net General discussion forum for Range Rovers

Welcome to RangeRovers.net - a website dedicated to all things Range Rovers.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, Join RangeRovers.net today!

+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Key won't turn in ignition

FRESHMAN ROVER

Key won't turn in ignition

Hey guys,

I drive a 07 RR SC.

So on a regular day, I stop by the gas station to refuel my gastank.

I get back in my car, and the key will not turn to the right. I try over and over, and the key will not turn. The key is not stuck, it will not turn.

I call the dealership, and they tell me it is the battery. Luckily I am at the gas station so I have a someone attempt to give me a boost....nothing.

My radio, headlight everything worked fine. Yet the key will not turn.

So to make this story short, I get my car towed to the local dealership. I am being charged $750 for a replacement of my ignition starter where my key goes.

??? has this happen to any of you?

2. Remove Advertisements
    RangeRovers.net
    Advertisements

FRESHMAN ROVER

Re: Key won't turn in ignition

had this happen a month or so ago. changed the car battery (it was due anyways) and the key battery. neither worked. luckily i had a spare key at home that worked. no idea what happened but the original key seems to be shot.
    2005 RR HSE

That sounds plausible (although it's still a ripoff at $750 for a glorified switch with a keyhole...), low battery or other electronic problems - e.g. the immobilizer no longer recognizing your key - should not prevent the key from turning the ignition barrel to pos. I or II, even though the car may not start. Something mechanical must have broken inside the steering lock and ignition switch assembly to prevent it from turning. Sorry.

New to our forum? Do NOT click here!

FRESHMAN ROVER

Quote Originally Posted by umbertob
    That sounds plausible (although it's still a ripoff at $750 for a glorified switch with a keyhole...), low battery or other electronic problems - e.g. the immobilizer no longer recognizing your key - should not prevent the key from turning the ignition barrel to pos. I or II, even though the car may not start. Something mechanical must have broken inside the steering lock and ignition switch assembly to prevent it from turning. Sorry.
    I just received a key from the dealer for my 07 and tried it in the ignition before the key was coded to my vehicle. It wouldn't turn to any position.
    2007 Range Rover HSE LUX Silver/Ivory
    Now on Cooper 285's!

I have a 2006 HSE The key would not turn so I was stuck and had to use the wife's car for a day. Run my usual local Range Rover mechanic and he told me to disconnect the negative on the battery wait 10 seconds and reconnect. Hey presto it worked however I now have to do this every time I take the key out of the ignition. At least it has given me the chance to drive it to the mechanic rather than paying the cost of a tow truck. If anyone has had a similar problem to mine and had it repaired please let me know. Thanks R

FOUNDING MEMBER

Do a search on this, its been covered a lot here. the steering column ECU freaks out and you need to remove fuse #18, wait 30secs. or so, reconnect and it will now work.
    Welcome aboard!!! Where in the USA are you?
    Ex-R.R.C. 3.9 1994