2004 air inactive help please
NEWS

1. Welcome to RangeRovers.net General discussion forum for Range Rovers

Welcome to RangeRovers.net - a website dedicated to all things Range Rovers.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, Join RangeRovers.net today!

+ Reply to Thread

Thread: 2004 air inactive help please

FRESHMAN ROVER

2004 air inactive help please

Hi

I am in palm springs and need to drive home to san Francisco and the suspension inactive came on and the left front corner is low can I drive home before repair? Book says 40 mph that just won't work.

Thanks Allan

2. Remove Advertisements
    Range Rovers Forum
    Advertisements

FRESHMAN ROVER

Re: 2004 air inactive help please

You might get away with just a reset but if you dont have the tool your going to have to go to the dealer or a shop that can check the fault codes and reset the system.

If you do have a leak I would suggest repairing/ rebuilding the strut with a Arnott front air spring before making a drive that long. Its best to have the system properly checked out .
    MK3 Range Rover ( silver/charcoal)
    04 Mk3 Range Rover ( black/charcoal)
    99 Range Rover (sold)
    95 porsche 993 (sold)
    72 porsche 914 ( project)
    60 Triumph Tr3 ( project)
    56 land rover 88" S1
    59 land rover 109" S2 pickup
    80 porsche 928

FRESHMAN ROVER

The problem is I do not have the two options I will give it a go and see what happens. Thanks for the help.

Allan

FRESHMAN ROVER

MKIII AIR Suspension.

You can jump out the pins on the air suspention ecu to air the bags back up. You can jump the air pump at the air suspension relay in the back behind the rh panel with all the fuses.

I always disconnect the Battery then the ECM (ECU). Then reconnect battery to do the jumping. Power up RH and LH corner valves then compressor (air up). Then power up the crossover valve to equalize. Then power up both the LH and RH corner valves. Have some one measure the height while the other person exhausts down to standard height. Disconnect the battery, reconnect the ECM (ECU) then reconnect the Battery install the trim, done. On the 2004 Range Rover a total loss of air in only one front strut caused the system to go into a permanent inactive air suspension which needed to be calibrated and turned back on. We had this done at the Seattle Land Rover Dealer for $129. We demoed a 2008 Range Rover LUX while the shop worked on our HSE. In Vancouver the MCL Dealer wanted $250 to reset and the Dealer in Richmond by Vancouver airport wanted $195 to reset. Seams dealers charge what their Local market will pay

The EAS ecu is located lower behind glove box, (10 to 15 min to access) it has 2 connectors, one is white and the other is black.

On the black connector;
    Connect the Blue/Black PIN 7 to ground - it's the front valve common.

At the same time, momentarily connect to 12V;
    Black PIN 16 - it's the compressor relay
    Blue/Yellow PIN 6 - it's the Right Front Valve
    Blue/Grey PIN 8 - it's the Left Front Valve

I suggest connecting the two front valve at the same time with vehicle on a flat surface, this will equilibrate pressure. The front will raise as long as you keep wires connected.
    You can find 12v and ground on the white connector;
    Brown PIN 5 - Ground
    Red/Brown PIN 10 - 12V

To lower, you need to activate the exhaust valve instead of the compressor with front valves.
    There are 2 exhaust valves, one is call HP and the other is SLS.

HP lowers or releases the air don't for get to open the corner valve to the corner you need lowered.

On the black connector;
    HP Exhaust Valve Black/Blue PIN 17 - 12V
    Black/Yellow PIN 35 - Ground

You can buy reset tools here
    http://www.rswsolutions.com/index.php?o ... &Itemid=77
    I used a argonott air strut it works fine.

Thanks to rover-renovations they helped me with technical info. They new someone who new the corner valves and exhaust valves are all a 12 volt circuit

FRESHMAN ROVER

drcoho,

cool, I did not know it was possible to still do that..... I did it on the P38 and it kept me going for a few weeks until I got parts and a reset tool. That info is going in the glove box, I will be getting the reset tool also as another back up.
    MK3 Range Rover ( silver/charcoal)
    04 Mk3 Range Rover ( black/charcoal)
    99 Range Rover (sold)
    95 porsche 993 (sold)
    72 porsche 914 ( project)
    60 Triumph Tr3 ( project)
    56 land rover 88" S1
    59 land rover 109" S2 pickup
    80 porsche 928

FRESHMAN ROVER

Thank you for the info. I only had a few tools and needed to try and get back with the low front corner. Seven hours later I made it home, had to watch right hand turns but it went well . I will work on it this week. The arnott option seems the way to go but maybe it is a simple fix.

Allan

FRESHMAN ROVER

I had that dread issue when I first bought my 04 RR (Used). It took about 3 months of going back and forth to the dealership to get it fixed (fortunately they covered all the expenses and a rental). They replaced essentially the entire air suspension, and I still got that light. It turned out, in the end, that it was a tire angle sensor that needed to get replaced.

Good luck on getting it figured out!

FRESHMAN ROVER

I tried to find a local guy to look at the car but they did not want to mess with the air system. So I had the delaer look at it and they wanted $1600 to replace the front left strut. So I had to suck it up, the Arnott option was declined after I did some research and found a few videos on You Tube. I would guess the right will go out soon, but I did not want to dump another $1600 at this time. They did not say I had to do both.

Allan

FRESHMAN ROVER

Ask your dealer to install the Arnott Air bags. They cost less than the factory ones and Arnott gives a life time waranty.

http://www.arnottindustries.com/part_LA ... _yid4.html

My local deals had different thoughts on this. One said yes and the other said no. The one that said they would install an Arnott strut if I supplied it was the dealer which I spoke directly to the service manager. The service writer at the other dealer said no. I gess the manager just wanted the labor $$ for his buget and the service writer didn't care about making a few labor only $$s.

FRESHMAN ROVER

I wanted to try that but after watching these videos I did not feel comfortable with the Arnott system.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6oDD9InW ... ata_player

darrinturner

Quote Originally Posted by Csx7034
    I wanted to try that but after watching these videos I did not feel comfortable with the Arnott system.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6oDD9InW ... ata_player
    Nothing against Arnott systems as they do provide a good solution if your plans include selling the Range Rover shortly after replacement.

What I just don't understand is why you would buy aftermarket parts that most online Land Rover parts companies sell rather than the real thing. Land Rover parts are made to fit your model and to perform as well. If it is not OEM Land Rover or if the price seems too good to pass up, I would walk away.

FRESHMAN ROVER

Because most aftermarket parts are the real thing without the 3x markup the stealer puts on the same product.

For example - Headlight Bulb - burned out a passenger side bulb. Removed bulb, called Stealer - $390 for the ONE bulb. It's a Phillips bulb, Googled the part number and got TWO bulbs for $60. Most other parts are exactly the same - you CAN find it for less expensive in the aftermarket.

Be a wise shopper.
    Jon Holder
    2003 Range Rover HSE - In Process

darrinturner

And we wonder why there are so many complaints from 3rd owners on their Range Rovers.
    I think we can see a difference between using an after market light bulb an a after market oil filter.
    I agree, be wise, but don't be foolish trying to save a buck now.

FRESHMAN ROVER

Quote Originally Posted by darrinturner
    And we wonder why there are so many complaints from 3rd owners on their Range Rovers.
    I think we can see a difference between using an after market light bulb an a after market oil filter.
    I agree, be wise, but don't be foolish trying to save a buck now.

I actually would NEVER use an aftermarket Oil Filter. I buy OEM Oil Filters only - that aftermarket ones have been of VERY poor quality.

It sounds like you have information indicating the Arnott Bags are of inferior quality? I have not found that to be the case - in fact, the Arnott Bags have a lifetime warranty - something a company would NOT do unless they are convinced of their quality. I believe the Arnott Bags to be of equal or higher quality as the OEM Bags.

Just my $.02.
    Jon Holder
    2003 Range Rover HSE - In Process

I replaced both front air struts on our 2004 range rover I found them for about $300 each they rebuild them they send you strut and all then you put the old one in the box and mail it back postage paid by them. (core charge credit) it took about 1.5 hours for me to do. 1 strut bolt hard to get out but well worth the money. What I want to know is how do you reset the " air suspension inactive " without going to the dealer on our 2004 range rover"