How to match tint on front windows to rear factory tint?
NEWS

1. Welcome to RangeRovers.net – General discussion forum for Range Rovers

Welcome to RangeRovers.net - a website dedicated to all things Range Rovers.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, Join RangeRovers.net today!

Closed Thread

Thread: How to match tint on front windows to rear factory tint?

How to match tint on front windows to rear factory tint?

My 06 RR has factory tint in the rear 5 windows. Unfortunately for those of us who like tint, the front windows can legally have very little factory tint in California (70%, I believe it is), and all aftermarket tint is technically illegal. So my front windows are clear as can be. Generally, there is a little wiggle room before you become a target of bored law enforcement officers and I'd like to tint the front windows down to around 35% or something like that.

Basically, I'd like to know if anyone has taken these same steps with their Rover and if so, which brand or how did you decide which tint to use to maintain a "factory look" with your Rover?
    Thanks for your time and thoughts.

Cheers!
    Sittin on a dock on the Bay....

2010 White Supercharged Range Rover
    2006 White BMW M5
    2006 Bonatti Grey HSE Range Rover (SOLD)

2. Remove Advertisements
    Range Rovers Forum
    Advertisements

Re: How to match tint on front windows to rear factory tint?

So you're asking someone to help you by providing information to help you break the law. That doesn't seem smart.

And to clarify, the reason the "bored law enforcement officer" is against you having excessively dark tint on the front windows is so he can see if you are in possesion of a firearm ready to shoot him when he performs a traffic stop as part of his job.

LOL @ Mr. Range Rover...I think your response was a little harsh but you're right. Some states have laws in place like that to protect law enforcement officers. However, I personally feel that an officer would have to be pretty bored to pull you over just to write you a ticket for dark tint if you haven't commited any other violations. I live in CA and there is a tint law here but I've managed to get away with tint on all of my vehicles for years. One thing that I keep in mind however is that if or when I do get pulled over then I feel that I owe the officer the courtesy of rolling down ALL of my windows so he can see inside. You wouldn't believe how many times I've gotten away with not getting a tint ticket just because of that...it also helps to be very polite when speaking to the officer. I'm sharing this information with you because I'm speaking from experience on both sides of this situation. I was a police officer for 5 years and my brother is currently a Detective. My brother has 5 vehicles and all of them have at least 35% tint on the front windows.
    2011 Range Rover Autobiography (White with Ebony Interior)
    2011 BMW X5 xDrive50i M Sport (White with Ebony Interior)

JUNIOR ROVER

Mr Range Rover, Helpful as usual! Thanks for your participation as we love having you around (LOL).

ldollar, I have it on my car and it is illegal where I live. I could care less about tickets for it but haven't received any yet. I have 20% and while it is close, it is not an exact match. I don't know the brand but I would advise going to a high end car shop to have it done. Good luck!

You guys can think what you like, I could care less. What I do care about is that you are breaking the law and are facilitating someone else to do the same. Whether you agree with it or not or you think it's a soft law and it's ok to ignore it, that is not your decision to make.
    I happen to have nothing but respect for law enforcement officials and their job is more than hard enough without this added problem.
    Add to that the moronic driving habits or most people on the roads becomes 10 times worse because they can't see clearly out of there front windows now. I have seen more than enough people get hit by idiots with illegal tint on there windows. You might think it's ok, but let's see if you think the same when you or some gets injured because of poor visibility.

And try heeding your own advice, if you don't like what I say, ignore me.

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Range Rover
    ...if you don't like what I say, ignore me.
    I think that is a two way street. Let's not end up deleting another thread due to one upmanship and yet another pissing match.
    My mind is aglow with whirling, transient nodes of thought careening through a cosmic vapor of invention.

darrinturner

we have always tinted our windows on all of our cars both in Denver and in San Diego. We have never had problems with legal issues. I think that our tint guy used 20% on the front two windows which matches the rest very well (if not perfect).

We are returning to San Diego within the next few months and may have a slightly darker tint applied to all the windows.

Officer Rover, Don't tase me bro!!!!!!

Thank you, FFRR05DUKE for the helpful response. I appreciate it. You are the voice of reason. Your point of making sure your windows are rolled down as a courtesy to the approaching officer is very good advice. I always roll down my window and keep my hands up on the steering wheel where they are visible and roll out the "Yes sir, No sir" routine." I've got about a 75% success rate with that. I will certainly keep your advice in mind next time I see the blue and reds in my rear view mirror.

Luxury1, your advice is sound. Thank you. But I hear the song "Bad Boys, Bad Boys. Whatcha gonna do? Whatcha gonna do when they come for you?" LOL!! (So as not to offend anyone else with my unreasonable comments, I'm just kidding!!)

rrtoadhall, I couldn't have come up with a better statement if I tried.

darrinturner I think CO is one of those lucky states that can go extremely dark legally. Must be nice!!! And I know a lot of folks get away with the extra dark in SoCal, it's a little different up here. Still, plenty of people do it.

Even at the nicest party, you can always find some troll who *tries* to makes the whole room uncomfortable. Fahgeddaboudit.
    Sittin on a dock on the Bay....

2010 White Supercharged Range Rover
    2006 White BMW M5
    2006 Bonatti Grey HSE Range Rover (SOLD)

FRESHMAN ROVER

Some people can be a little moronic instead of helpful at times on this board which is corny but anyway, you can get a note from a Dr. if you state that the light through the clear glass on the front of the car is too much for your sensitive eyes to handle and that way you too can drive legally with some tint on the window. Generally people do put their windows down before a cop comes up to the car and if someone is going to pull a gun on a cop I do not think the tint on their windows is going to make that situation make or break. Rarely have I seen an office on the highway approach a vehicle from the front of the care as well. As for the percentage I cant help but the note will help I dont know if you need it to be an actual prescription or what but Im sure someone in the medical field will know more.

Be as passive aggresive as you want. It's a fact it happens:-
    http://www.realpolice.net/ask-a-cop/?p=10

"It all began when a couple of state troopers were shot and killed when walking up to a car. They couldn’t see shot guns pointing at them through the tint."

The laws are there for a reason, whether you believe it or not.