Check Engine light!
NEWS

1. Welcome to RangeRovers.net General discussion forum for Range Rovers

Welcome to RangeRovers.net - a website dedicated to all things Range Rovers.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, Join RangeRovers.net today!

+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Check Engine light!

FRESHMAN ROVER

Check Engine light!

I've been driving my car for about 200 miles, and my Check Engine light just came on.

Do I need to get this checked out asap to the dealership? This is becoming a pain, if I need to go through this entire process from a single little light.

2. Remove Advertisements
    RangeRovers.net
    Advertisements

Re: Check Engine light!

No, just ignore it. Then when you transmission overheats or your engine seizes, you can say to yourself "at least I ignored that silly little light"

Get an OBDII scanner, read and clear the codes, fix the problem (not necessarily in that order).

If you can't do that, just take it to the dealer.

FRESHMAN ROVER

You just got your vehicle right?

I can't recall if you're coming from a previous RR or not, but any hoo, "check engine" can come on for stuff as simple as a loose gas cap to something more ominous, but usually the worse it is, the more additional lights (soft failure indicators) will come on.

It's really nothing that end-of-life.

As Mr RR stated, there are DIY fixes, or like every other vehicle with a check engine light, it requires someone w/ some mechanical expertise or knowledge to reset it. If that ain't you, then dealer or local Indy LR shop. Not sure why the surprise that modern vehicle resets require a professional. LR really isn't that unique.

Aren't you still under warranty? SO there shouldn't be a charge. Just drive till you can fit it in your schedule. Obviously if things start getting worse, then it's a more urgent issue..
    '06 Java Black on Black FFRR
    '06 Cairns RRS HSE Lux (now the GF's)
    '94 D90 Soft Top with the works
    http://farm5.static.flickr.com/4062/...8cde33a7_m.jpg

JUNIOR ROVER

If it is amber, not red, and not flashing, it's nothing too serious in a mechanical sense. The check engine light comes on for emission control reasons. First make sure the gas cap is secure. After numerous on/off cycles of the ignition, the light might reset. Other common problems are dirty MAF (DIY project) sensor or O2 sensor. Good luck.
    '05 FFRR

FRESHMAN ROVER

You could also have a crack in the Catalytic converter (that's what mine was) - but you won't know until you have the codes read and interpreted.
    Jon Holder
    2003 Range Rover HSE - In Process

FRESHMAN ROVER

Hey guys,

Thanks for all the support. I really appreciate it.

Turns out, it must have been the Gas Cap.... the Check Engine light came on after I fueled up. It turned back off after about 5 ignition start ups.

Thanks again guys, its great to be part of the community.

SOPHOMORE ROVER

Some auto parts stores, like O'Reilly, will let you borrow their ODBII code reader for free.

Actually, at my local O'Reilly, they used to let people borrow it at no charge, but someone stole it, so I have to buy it, then return it...

Either way, it's pretty simple -- I just go out where I parked, plug it in, read it and return it. Without (hopefully ) jinxing myself, I have never had to use it on the Range Rover.
    2007 Range Rover HSE Lux

Quote Originally Posted by rfdiii
    Some auto parts stores, like O'Reilly, will let you borrow their ODBII code reader for free.

Actually, at my local O'Reilly, they used to let people borrow it at no charge, but someone stole it, so I have to buy it, then return it...

Either way, it's pretty simple -- I just go out where I parked, plug it in, read it and return it. Without (hopefully ) jinxing myself, I have never had to use it on the Range Rover.
    that's why I said "get" and not "buy".

AutoZone / Autovalue will come out with it in hand, plug it in and read you the codes but they are NOT allowed to clear them (something to do with having done that in the past, thus erasing the history and when the owner took it to the dealer, they spent a lot more $ investigating the guys problem because of the cleared codes. I think they said they got sued or something)

But, they will let you hold the scanner for a bit and if your finger were to accidentally brush the "erase" key when they weren't looking, they're ok with that.

How to clear check engine light and airbag fault

First try by turning the steering wheel all the way left, then all the way right and then back all the way to the left.

If that doesn't work then you have *real* codes. You will need to get the codes read and then decide what to do next.
    2004 L322, 265/50R20 Yokohama tires. "Mrs. Jones" ("We've got a thing going on")