Rattle noise when cold start engine??
NEWS

1. Welcome to RangeRovers.net General discussion forum for Range Rovers

Welcome to RangeRovers.net - a website dedicated to all things Range Rovers.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, Join RangeRovers.net today!

+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Rattle noise when cold start engine??

FRESHMAN ROVER

Rattle noise when cold start engine??

When I start my 2003 Range rover in the morning from sitting all night I hear a Rattling sound when the engine turns over, I'm wondering if anyone else has this or knows what it is?? Im guessing it needs a tune up but not sure. Also the car has some humming sound and some vibrations that drop the rpms around 30 to 50MPH Im guessing its the torque converter issue so I've been told the torque converter is locking up and operating incorrectly. Thank you for any help
    2003 Range rover 99k
    Reading,PA

2. Remove Advertisements
    RangeRovers.net
    Advertisements

FRESHMAN ROVER

Re: Rattle noise when cold start engine??

I don't know about the rattle, but I had the same humming noise which effects the rpm. I had a radiator flush and filter changed and the noise stopped for a couple of days. The noise came back but at different rpm levels and it's not as bad. Someone suspected a torque converter but I guess well see what breaks to really find out.
    2003 Black Range Rover HSE

FRESHMAN ROVER

Quote Originally Posted by jad42485
    When I start my 2003 Range rover in the morning from sitting all night I hear a Rattling sound when the engine turns over, I'm wondering if anyone else has this or knows what it is?? Im guessing it needs a tune up but not sure. Also the car has some humming sound and some vibrations that drop the rpms around 30 to 50MPH Im guessing its the torque converter issue so I've been told the torque converter is locking up and operating incorrectly. Thank you for any help
    Which engine have you got?

If it's the 4.4 BMW M62 then it's fairly normal for it to rattle for a few seconds until the oil reaches the heads.
    2002 Vogue 4.4 V8 (LPG) - Epsom Green

Quote Originally Posted by tpwuk

If it's the 4.4 BMW M62 then it's fairly normal for it to rattle for a few seconds until the oil reaches the heads.
    It's not the heads, it's the VANOS cam phaser system losing oil and rattling on start up. A search on VANOS on this forum will give you a lot of information. It is not generally considered harmful to the engine.

FRESHMAN ROVER

Quote Originally Posted by blkblkrover
    I don't know about the rattle, but I had the same humming noise which effects the rpm. I had a radiator flush and filter changed and the noise stopped for a couple of days. The noise came back but at different rpm levels and it's not as bad. Someone suspected a torque converter but I guess well see what breaks to really find out.

Yes i have this same issue also and it sucked I hope its not the TC but its a high possibly and some times the car shakes a little before it starts the noise the humming buzzing noise so im thinking its the TC locking up Im going to start saving for a new trans and TC now because I have a feeling thats the issue, why do you think it stoped the the radiator flush? does it have anything to do with antifreeze flow? i wouldn't think it did.
    2003 Range rover 99k
    Reading,PA

FRESHMAN ROVER

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Range Rover

It's not the heads, it's the VANOS cam phaser system losing oil and rattling on start up. A search on VANOS on this forum will give you a lot of information. It is not generally considered harmful to the engine.

I will definitely research this , does it have any known issues that will come about from this? can this be prevented? Thank you for your response.
    2003 Range rover 99k
    Reading,PA

FRESHMAN ROVER

I do have the 4.4 bmw engine. It seems like it needs a tune up or something thats what it sounds like so your saying this is normal . Thanks alot
    2003 Range rover 99k
    Reading,PA

FRESHMAN ROVER

I have noticed the same noise when my engine starts. Sometimes it it very loud and sometimes you can barely hear it. Even so, it doesn't sound right and it makes me cringe every time it happens. Glad to hear I'm not the only one experiencing this issue.

FRESHMAN ROVER

Yup i know how it feels, it seems like something is not right. I hope we can get some help with this one. and for yours and my sake hopefully its not a big issue.
    2003 Range rover 99k
    Reading,PA

FRESHMAN ROVER

Yup i know how it feels, it seems like something is not right. I hope we can get some help with this one. and for yours and my sake hopefully its not a big issue.
    It generally isn't an issue.

Just make sure you use the correct Oil and change it every 6000 miles / 6 months.
    2002 Vogue 4.4 V8 (LPG) - Epsom Green