This can't be right. Door locks really work like this?
NEWS

1. Welcome to RangeRovers.net General discussion forum for Range Rovers

Welcome to RangeRovers.net - a website dedicated to all things Range Rovers.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, Join RangeRovers.net today!

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: This can't be right. Door locks really work like this?

FRESHMAN ROVER

This can't be right. Door locks really work like this?

On our 1500 mile return from picking up our new (to us) 2007 Rover, something was baffling us. As you know, when you start to drive, the locks automatically lock, great. But, when we come to a stop, we pull the door handle once to unlock the door, and the second pull opens it. That's odd, but something we can live with. But what is completely baffling us, is that once we exit the vehicle, we find that neither of the rear doors are unlocked. Which means we either need to depress the button on the key, or hop back in the truck, and hit the central unlock button. Now, I've owned a lot of cars, and never have I owned one that operated like this. I assumed this had to be a setting somewhere, so I consulted my owner's manual, but it doesn't really address that issue. So, I came on here and searched, because I can't be the only one dumbfounded by the logic. I couldn't find anything with my search.

So, if this isn't a setting and it's working as designed, that means if I have a child in the back, my procedure to get myself and my child out of the truck would be:

1. Turn off ignition
    2. Pull door handle once to unlock
    3. Pull handle a second time to open driver's door
    4. Pull on rear door and remember that the truck doesn't unlock when driver's door is unlocked
    5. Cuss and mumble under my breath
    6. (a) Open driver's door, hop back in the truck, and hit central unlock button or (b) pull key out of my pocket and hit the unlock button 2 times
    7. Remove child.

Or, I could just remember to hit the central unlock button every time I shut the truck off. Now, I know that is the easy thing to do, but after 22 years of driving, and never having to do that, it may take some time to become habit.

So, my ultimate question is, is there a way to set it up so when the driver's door is unlocked, that all doors unlock?
    2004 Mercedes-Benz E500 - Brilliant Silver/Charcoal
    2005 Mercedes-Benz SL600 - Black/Executive Black

2007 Supercharged - Java Black/Ivory
    http://i158.photobucket.com/albums/t...s/RoverSig.jpg

2. Remove Advertisements
    RangeRovers.net
    Advertisements

FRESHMAN ROVER

Re: This can't be right. Door locks really work like this?

Yes. That's how they work.

Kinda Dumb, don't you think?
    2006 Range Rover Black/Tan
    1997 Aston Martin DB7 Volante - Cleveland Red/Parchment

There maybe an option to set the doors to unlock as soon as the key is removed, but this is an option that can only be switched on/off by the dealer. Not all cars have the auto lock when you start to drive (as yours does). Again, this is another dealer switched option.

The rationale? If your wife were to approach her car, unlock the door and get in, someone hiding on the other side of the car (unseen) can't jump in the car because all doors but the drivers door will still be locked.

All Land Rovers seem to operate this way. This is why we disabled the automatic locking "feature" on our past few Land Rovers. If they don't automatically lock, then you don't have to worry about unlocking them before you get your child out of the back.
    2011 RR SC (Santorini Black)
    2012 LR4 (Fuji White)
    2008 Jaguar XJ Vanden Plas (Lunar Grey)
    1986 Alfa Romeo Spider Graduate (white)

Prior LRs: 2008 RR HSE (Java) (RIP, along with 2005 Elise), 2006 RRS HSE (Giverny), 2002 RR HSE (Java), 2005 RR HSE (Java), 2005 LR3 (Zermatt), 2007 LR3 (chawton white)

SOPHOMORE ROVER

That's the way they work. Instead of using the "pull the handle twice" method, I try to always hit the central button whenever there are other people in the car. It's a new habit...

I don't know if this works on all Range Rovers, but it seems to work on my 2007 HSE:

To disable autolock, get out of the car, shut the door, insert key into lock on driver's door, turn key in the "unlock" direction (right?) three times in succession. That seemed to disable my autolock feature, but I'd gotten used to the autolock and turned it back on again (by turning the key three times in the "lock" direction).
    2007 Range Rover HSE Lux

FRESHMAN ROVER

Quote Originally Posted by RRDave
    Yes. That's how they work.

Kinda Dumb, don't you think?
    Definitely an interesting design, that's for sure.

FRESHMAN ROVER

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Range Rover
    The rationale? If your wife were to approach her car, unlock the door and get in, someone hiding on the other side of the car (unseen) can't jump in the car because all doors but the drivers door will still be locked.
    Right. Most late model vehicles work like this. Or are at least configurable to this logic. You're describing unlocking the vehicle from outside, before you depart. But I'm talking about all doors unlocking from inside the truck, after the driver door is either (a) opened, or (b) the vehicle is put in Park/Shut off.

Silly design.

FRESHMAN ROVER

Quote Originally Posted by teekster
    All Land Rovers seem to operate this way. This is why we disabled the automatic locking "feature" on our past few Land Rovers. If they don't automatically lock, then you don't have to worry about unlocking them before you get your child out of the back.

Certainly an option, not sure if we're willing to delete the auto-lock feature, just yet.

FRESHMAN ROVER

Quote Originally Posted by rfdiii
    That's the way they work. Instead of using the "pull the handle twice" method, I try to always hit the central button whenever there are other people in the car. It's a new habit...

I don't know if this works on all Range Rovers, but it seems to work on my 2007 HSE:

To disable autolock, get out of the car, shut the door, insert key into lock on driver's door, turn key in the "unlock" direction (right?) three times in succession. That seemed to disable my autolock feature, but I'd gotten used to the autolock and turned it back on again (by turning the key three times in the "lock" direction).
    Since mine is a 2007 as well, I'll give it a shot. Thanks for the nugget.

JUNIOR ROVER

Requiring two pulls of the handle to open a locked door from the inside is a BMW feature across their product line that was carried over to the MkIII along with a lot of other BMW commonalities. Those of us that came from BMW's think nothing of it, I can see as a Mercedes man that it would seem odd. It's not a Land Rover thing. The feature where rear doors require a second push of the unlock button can be disabled by the dealer in wy wife's 06, in my 2010 I can disable it from within an option menu. Not sure about the 07s.
    2010 Range Rover Supercharged Zermatt Silver/Jet
    2006 Range Rover HSE Java Black/Sand (wifes' car)

FRESHMAN ROVER

Jags also work in this way.
    2002 Vogue 4.4 V8 (LPG) - Epsom Green

FRESHMAN ROVER

Funny thing is my wife's previous car, a Volvo XC70, allowed the doors to be opened from the first pull, but the new Volvo XC60 needs two pulls, just like the Range. At least it (still) automatically locks the doors after a passenger gets out.
    2006 Td6 Vogue Java Black/Charcoal

Quote Originally Posted by BenzORama
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Range Rover
    Right. Most late model vehicles work like this. Or are at least configurable to this logic. You're describing unlocking the vehicle from outside, before you depart. But I'm talking about all doors unlocking from inside the truck, after the driver door is either (a) opened, or (b) the vehicle is put in Park/Shut off.

Silly design.
    Nope, I'm talking about both. Yours has the auto lock when you reach xxMPH configured to on, so your doors are locked when you complete your journey. Ergo, if you press the main central locking button below your hazard lights all the doors magically open, right?

Now if you don't have the auto lock feature switched on and reach your destination, the drivers door will still be unlocked (assuming you are the only passenger) and the other 3 doors will still be locked. If you use the central locking button (below the hazard switch) it does not unlock the remaining 3 doors as you would expect, but instead locks the drivers door. To unlock all door, you would have to press the central locking button twice. Just something to think about before you de-activate the auto locking feature.
    This is why the door handle unlocks the respective door after the first pull and opens it on the second. With the previous model (P38a) either of the 2 front door ledge buttons would activate all 4 doors central locking (open and closed).

FRESHMAN ROVER

[quote=Mr. Range Rover]
    Quote Originally Posted by BenzORama
    Quote Originally Posted by "Mr. Range Rover":5uunfb0w

Silly design.
    Nope, I'm talking about both. Yours has the auto lock when you reach xxMPH configured to on, so your doors are locked when you complete your journey. Ergo, if you press the main central locking button below your hazard lights all the doors magically open, right?

Now if you don't have the auto lock feature switched on and reach your destination, the drivers door will still be unlocked (assuming you are the only passenger) and the other 3 doors will still be locked. If you use the central locking button (below the hazard switch) it does not unlock the remaining 3 doors as you would expect, but instead locks the drivers door. To unlock all door, you would have to press the central locking button twice. Just something to think about before you de-activate the auto locking feature.
    This is why the door handle unlocks the respective door after the first pull and opens it on the second. With the previous model (P38a) either of the 2 front door ledge buttons would activate all 4 doors central locking (open and closed).[/quote:5uunfb0w]

Got it.

It certainly appears that we'll just have to get in the habit of hitting the central unlock button every time we're toting passengers around in the backseats.

JUNIOR ROVER

Ya know, this is another area where the domestic American cars get it right. My wife's 97 Olds locks the doors when she puts it in gear. When she puts it in park, they unlock. My other domestic cars unlocked AND opened with a single pull. None of this "what if someone wants to unlock the door, but not actually get out" sort of silly logic.
    So many design features of these europen vehicles just don't seem to make sense for the majority of drivers.
    '03 Range Rover
    All Stock
    Black