L322 EAS acting up, read some related topics, nothing helped
NEWS

1. Welcome to RangeRovers.net – General discussion forum for Range Rovers

Welcome to RangeRovers.net - a website dedicated to all things Range Rovers.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, Join RangeRovers.net today!

+ Reply to Thread

Thread: L322 EAS acting up, read some related topics, nothing helped

FRESHMAN ROVER

L322 EAS acting up, read some related topics, nothing helped

Hello everyone reading this post. Two weeks ago, while driving my 2003 L322 4.4 with 168K miles, suddenly got message "Air suspended inactive - Self Level Inactive, Max 35mph", suspension control lights went off. I still had to drive another 50 miles home and ride was absolutely normal, not bumpy or anything abnormal.
    Once home, diagnosed with RSW all comms. ABS ecu read "Air suspension system CAN error". Cleared that and that fault didn't come back. The air suspension unit also read "Air suspension system CAN error" as well as "Front Left Height Sensor Fault" and "Rear Right Height Sensor Fault". Tried to clear those, i saw suspension control lights went on for a split second and than off right away. Also heard air compressor clicked on and off for same split second. CAN error went away but two height sensor faults stayed and won't go away. Read a few posts. Two bad height sensors at same time sounded too weird. Regardless, disconnected battery, jacked up car and switched front height sensors places to see if RSW will read faults somehow another way. In the end - exactly same faults - FL and RR height sensor fault. In my opinion this meant that sensors are ok. Moving next, checked all related (and many unrelated) fuses up front and rear, all seemed ok. Hotwired the air compressor where the relay is and heard compressor running. Good. Than tried disconnecting battery and holding + and - terminals together for a minute. Fault persisted afterwards. Read few more posts but didn't find anything new. Left for a business trip for a week, came back couple days ago, truck sits at exactly same height, means to airbag leaks. Good.
    Now, here is interesting part - just tried to go deeper with all comms, went to the EAS toolkit and tried playing with transport mode switching between on, off. Fault persisted. Than, i clicked on "depressurize system" or something like that and to my surprise, i felt that truck sinks down. Once movement stopped and waited extra minute, i got off the seat and saw that rear axle went all way low BUT front axle stayed where it was. Is this an indication of something wrong? How is it possible that front of truck didn't depressurize like the rear did? I know there are some kind of air valves, is there a possibility that air valve for front axle could stuck? If so, how to get them unstuck? I never dealt with air valves before, don't know anything about them. Any help or tip will be appreciated.

2. Remove Advertisements
    Range Rovers Forum
    Advertisements

FRESHMAN ROVER

Re: L322 EAS acting up, read some related topics, nothing he

Learned that pneumatic valves can get "stuck". I will try to remove air valve (RVK000040) and take it a part, see what is going on and figure out if that was a culprit

FRESHMAN ROVER

Front valves appeared to be in good health as well as valve block next to air tank unit. All height sensors showed continuity to connector C0867 on as EAS ECU. The eas ecu circuit board taken out and visually inspected; multimeter showed 12.2 volts of feed from battery. Also, CAN bus checked continuity between EAS ecu and ABS ecu. Everything looks good to me, i don't know why that darn air gizmo isn't working. I even tried another EAS ECU. Same behavior, same fault comes. Any ideas where else to look? Only one thing doesn't looks to me is - pins 42-53 on ABS ECU board show unstable ground, which when paired with battery feed shows voltage jumping from 4 to 12 volts - few times a second. Even another spare eas ecu behaves same way. Running out of ideas..

5. Remove Advertisements
    Range Rovers Forum
    Advertisements

FRESHMAN ROVER

Noticed that EAS ECU doesnt throw in CAN bus error when key isn't inserted. Once i move it to position 2, allcomms reads can bus fault. Tried same with ABS ECU disconnected and everything behaves same way - no can error when key isn't inserted and can errors comes back when key is turned. Also, steering angle sensor shows "incorrect CAN message" or something like that, but this goes away easy with allcomms.
    Any ideas?

SOLIHULL ROVER

12.2v is NOT a healthy battery and could be the source of all this crap you've been writing about.

FRESHMAN ROVER

wow you are digging deeper into the possible causes than i am capable of commenting on. but agree with other post 12.2 is not the best of voltage poss battery or alternator fault,
    my understanding is that these cars areVERY sensitive to battery condition.
    good luck sorting it
    regards kev

FRESHMAN ROVER

Quote Originally Posted by moorsman View Post
    wow you are digging deeper into the possible causes than i am capable of commenting on. but agree with other post 12.2 is not the best of voltage poss battery or alternator fault,
    my understanding is that these cars areVERY sensitive to battery condition.
    good luck sorting it
    regards kev
    Thank you for posting.
    12.2v because I've been experimenting a lot with key turned to second position but truck not running so battery wasn't charging for a long time now. I tendered it back to 12.7v now and obviously still same EAS problems persist.
    Contacted Stores Wilson for possible help.

FRESHMAN ROVER

Contacted Mr Wilson and he advised to try new height sensors, so today tried new sensors and nothing changed, everything the same like before. At this point i don't know where else i can look

SOLIHULL ROVER

Quote Originally Posted by andriivarko View Post
    Contacted Mr Wilson and he advised to try new height sensors, so today tried new sensors and nothing changed, everything the same like before. At this point i don't know where else i can look
    Is the suspension always in fault or does this show up some time into a commute and or reset if you shut off the vehicle.

FRESHMAN ROVER

Quote Originally Posted by brad s1 View Post
    Is the suspension always in fault or does this show up some time into a commute and or reset if you shut off the vehicle.
    Brad, suspension always in hard fault, control switch orange LEDs are all out. They DO blink for a split second when i am trying to reset faults with allcomms.

FRESHMAN ROVER

Are you sure the battery is ok? When the batteries start to go it causes a lot of issues that look like electrical gremlins. EAS issues is one of them, at least it was on my RRS..
    2012 FFRR HSE Lux
    2010 RRS HSE Lux (gone)
    2008 LR2 (gone)
    2004 Freelander (gone)

FRESHMAN ROVER

Quote Originally Posted by ad_astra View Post
    Are you sure the battery is ok? When the batteries start to go it causes a lot of issues that look like electrical gremlins. EAS issues is one of them, at least it was on my RRS..
    For sure 100% not battery. At this point it is tendered to 12.7v. Back in time when my old battery was acting up and storing only 11V, my EAS worked perfectly fine.

+ Reply to Thread

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.