This aftermarket head is definitely NOT for 02-05 L322...
NEWS

1. Welcome to RangeRovers.net – General discussion forum for Range Rovers

Welcome to RangeRovers.net - a website dedicated to all things Range Rovers.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, Join RangeRovers.net today!

+ Reply to Thread

Thread: This aftermarket head is definitely NOT for 02-05 L322...

FRESHMAN ROVER

This aftermarket head is definitely NOT for 02-05 L322...

It's an HL-8725GB manufactured by a company called Hualingan based in Shenzhen, China. Around the world this model is sold under various brands. Like I bought mine on eBay as a Koolertron QL-MGM625. I have no idea who Koolertron is... nor do I care.

The seller makes it sound like an easy swap with the stock one. BUT NO, IT IS NOT.

According to RAVE, 02-05 L322 either has the so called "multi-information display", or the "multi-functional display" (or maybe there're other options). My truck is a NAS, and I believe all NAS 03-05 has the MFD.

On the original harness the connectors to the stock MFD head are the blue one and the white one. The connector to the aftermarket head was the black one above them. So NO PLUG-AND-PLAY.
    This aftermarket head is definitely NOT for 02-05 L322...-_20170418203429.jpg

So I had to run the 6 m/20 ft cable all the way to the trunk to connect to the radio unit there. Not a big deal, but just needed to partially drop the headlining (if you consider that not a big deal). I used duct tape and zip ties.

And I thought I was good to go.

WRONG.

As I mentioned, the 02-05 L322 comes with either MID or MFD. These displays have different brackets. The MID has a wider box behind the front panel, so its bracket has a larger opening. The MFD has a narrower box, so its bracket has a smaller opening. This is weird, because I thought the multi-functional display, which is "more advanced", should have a larger box to contain its circuits and whatever.

And the aftermarket head does not fit into my stock MFD bracket. The MFD bracket is YIU000070 or YIU000071, by the way.

Okay. I thought maybe they designed this head when they only got a L322 with MID at hand, so if the head does not fit into the MFD head, it must fit into the MID bracket.

So I purchased an MID bracket. The part number is XQU000051. No L322 in the USA ever need this part, so I bought it from the UK, not surprisingly.

This aftermarket head is definitely NOT for 02-05 L322...-_20170418203422.jpg

And it does not fit, either.

More specifically, the head fits into the bracket, but the head + bracket assembly will NOT fit into where the original head + bracket assembly goes to.

The lower edge of the aftermarket head will rest firmly against the lower fascia shroud at where the blue masking tape is attached to in the previous picture. The bracket can't go all the way down to its support. Therefore, the fascia top rail can't go back to where it was. This is not going to work.

So I'm left with two choices: either, I'm going to cut several pieces down from the MID bracket so the head can be fitted a little bit upward, or I'm going to cut several pieces down from the MFD bracket so its opening is wide enough for the box of the head unit. In either case, I needed to find another way to fix the head unit in place, because the part of the bracket which supports the weight of the head (it's heavy) will be cut off anyway.

I decided to alter my own MFD bracket, so I can still return the MID bracket to recover some loss... $100 part, $20 shipping, $20 return shipping, a total of $40 loss. Fine.

This aftermarket head is definitely NOT for 02-05 L322...-_20170418203452.jpg

So I cut off these pieces...

And fixed my aftermarket head unit like this...

This aftermarket head is definitely NOT for 02-05 L322...-_20170418203439.jpg

And I utilized the two stock screw holes on the bracket to fix the front panel onto the bracket. What a bad idea... but it's firm. Very firm.

Eventually, it's still a very tight fit against the lower fascia shroud, but better than using the MID bracket. At least the head + bracket assembly can go all the way down to its support, and the top rail goes back to its place.

This aftermarket head is definitely NOT for 02-05 L322...-_20170418203448.jpg

But let's see. See the curve of the front panel? It just comes out of no where. Why is the front panel curved?

See the EJECT button and the NAVI button? They're extremely hard to reach for the reason that they're way too close to the top rail.

The DVD slot? Forget about it. With the slot THAT close to the top rail and that the DVD goes into it at an angle, you'll never be able to put a DVD into it. But who needs a DVD today?

And the orange backlighting... It's just not Land Rover. NOT. AT. ALL.

So it looked like this at night.

This aftermarket head is definitely NOT for 02-05 L322...-_20170418203444.jpg

Not terrible, but far away from good...

This aftermarket head is definitely NOT for 02-05 L322...-_20170418211117.jpg

And I also kind of regret repainting the front panel silver...

The up side is that I replaced my squeaky blower motor using the poor-man's method...

This aftermarket head is definitely NOT for 02-05 L322...-_20170418203406.jpg

Actually, it's not that hard. Once you cut an opening wide enough and remove the two Torx screws securing the face level vent duct pipes, the blower motor assembly comes out pretty easily.

This aftermarket head is definitely NOT for 02-05 L322...-_20170418203411.jpg

One last question...
    This is the far left/right side face-level vent. Should there be a bulb or something to illuminate the green dot and the white dot? There is one for the center face-level vent.
    This aftermarket head is definitely NOT for 02-05 L322...-_20170418211426.jpg
    2003 Land Rover Range Rover HSE 4.4L V8 (ext. Java Black; int. Sand/Jet Black + Burled Walnut)

2. Remove Advertisements
    Range Rovers Forum
    Advertisements

FRESHMAN ROVER

Re: This aftermarket head is definitely NOT for 02-05 L322..

To answer your question, only the center face vents have bulbs for some reason... at least in my '04. I wondered the same thing the first time I took it apart. Thought I was missing something...

I wondered the exact same thing about the green and white dots. Passenger side isn't illuminated either.

In regards to why it's curved it's an X5 headunit, you need to purchase for an E39 (flat style). I'll post pics later.

5. Remove Advertisements
    Range Rovers Forum
    Advertisements

FRESHMAN ROVER

The reason the front panel of the head unit is curved is that it was probably designed for the BMW X5, and as we all know the L322 is based on the X5. A lot of aftermarket head unit manufacturers group the BMW and Range Rover together when it comes to their products that's why you find that the buttons are illuminated red or orangey red.

+ Reply to Thread

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.