Best year to purchase
NEWS

1. Welcome to RangeRovers.net General discussion forum for Range Rovers

Welcome to RangeRovers.net - a website dedicated to all things Range Rovers.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, Join RangeRovers.net today!

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Best year to purchase

FRESHMAN ROVER

Best year to purchase

Hello fellow Landrover lovers. I am new member of forum. I want to purchase a Range Rover HSE used and do not know whether there is a better or worse recent year to consider. I would not want anything older than 5 years old I think. Also, if I go with a dealer, what is the certification warranty duration for Rovers? I have used, certified XPJ8 which goes for 6 years from original date of service/regis. up to 100,000.00 miles. Thanks for your help.

2. Remove Advertisements
    RangeRovers.net
    Advertisements

FRESHMAN ROVER

Re: Best year to purchase

I'd recommend going with a 2007 since it has the newer exterior updates, interior updates, and Jag/LR V8. A 2006 is nice as well, it has the newer exterior updates and engine, but the interior is the previous 2003-2005 version. The below link has all the changes per model year:

http://www.rangerovers.net/modelspecs/
    2006 Range Rover HSE
    2010 Mercedes Benz S550

SENIOR ROVER

USED = 2007

NEW = 2010

JUNIOR ROVER

Get the newest one you can afford. Bottom line.
    2010 Range Rover Supercharged Zermatt Silver/Jet
    2006 Range Rover HSE Java Black/Sand (wifes' car)

FRESHMAN ROVER

Conversly, if you can find a 2005 model (perhaps most stable of the BMW engine - not that means too much) that is in great shape for ~$27K you would be good to buy as much of a comprehensive warranty aftermarket you can find (unless you happen to stumble into a CPO - which would only be lucky). If you want to spend a bunch more $ the 2007's are nice with the terrain response.
    2005 Range Rover HSE
    Adriatic Blue + Sand

FRESHMAN ROVER

I also love my 05 but i agree with remington, grab the newest RR that is in your budget. 2005 is the last year of the BMW engine and when compared to the other surrounding years it is sort of an odd ball. There are some upgrades such as ipod integration and what not that are quite difficult in a 2005 due to the fiber optic wiring in the vehicle. i have 60k on mine and as long as you take her to get routine service it treat you well!
    2005 RR HSE Tonga green

FOUNDING MEMBER

Quote Originally Posted by Galen
    Conversly, if you can find a 2005 model (perhaps most stable of the BMW engine - not that means too much) that is in great shape for ~$27K you would be good to buy as much of a comprehensive warranty aftermarket you can find (unless you happen to stumble into a CPO - which would only be lucky). If you want to spend a bunch more $ the 2007's are nice with the terrain response.
    NEVER buy a 2005 model. This has already been debated quite a bit on this forum. Just don't even go there.
    97 4.6 SSE and 04 4.4 HSE

SENIOR ROVER

Bit harsh on those who own and love their 2005 models Marcpablo old son.....

JUNIOR ROVER

I love my '05. Haven't had any problems since new.

Newest you can afford is the best way to approach.
    '05 FFRR

SENIOR ROVER

Quote Originally Posted by RattleItHome
    I love my '05. Haven't had any problems since new.

Newest you can afford is the best way to approach.
    Nice to hear some positive RR reports. I have had various RR's since 2005 with very few problems. Great cars when looked after and correctly serviced.

FRESHMAN ROVER

I think if I had to do it again, I would've gotten an '07 just to avoid the whole iPod DIY thing I had to do, but it wasn't that big a deal in the end
    The interior and control upgrades are def more modern (ironically the '07 FFRR has what the '06 RRS had already, go figure)
    But I wanted to continue to be able to use my nav on the fly, so I opted for '06. It also allowed me to upgrade the hell out of it immediately w/ the $$$ I saved- nudge bar, side steps, roof rack, RRS wheels, etc, etc.
    BUt def go w/ the most recent you can afford.
    '06 Java Black on Black FFRR
    '06 Cairns RRS HSE Lux (now the GF's)
    '94 D90 Soft Top with the works
    http://farm5.static.flickr.com/4062/...8cde33a7_m.jpg

SENIOR ROVER

(ironically the '07 FFRR has what the '06 RRS had already, go figure)
    Because the Terrain Response and other upgrades were newly designed for the new generation D3/RRS models and then added to the FFRR as an upgrade to the existing design.

FRESHMAN ROVER

Quote Originally Posted by Gazellio
    (ironically the '07 FFRR has what the '06 RRS had already, go figure)
    Because the Terrain Response and other upgrades were newly designed for the new generation D3/RRS models and then added to the FFRR as an upgrade to the existing design.
    In my over 4 years w/ my Sport, I turned the dial (only to snow mode) maybe twice, and that was because of a horrible experience I had my first winter w/ the contis on an iced hilly parking lot in Upstate NY, but other than that, I never used it, so I didn't miss it.

I guess I'm a little old school in that regard, having owned Defenders, a Disco, a RR Classic, a P38, a Toyota Land Cruiser, etc, etc, an SUV shouldn't need a fancy knobby thing to handle different conditions, but with the crappy tires they put on the sport, I guess they needed all the help they could throw at it.

So to the poster if you are fine w/ an SUV that can handle high conditions and low conditions and don't need a nob for the bs in between, well '06 and below will do you well.
    '06 Java Black on Black FFRR
    '06 Cairns RRS HSE Lux (now the GF's)
    '94 D90 Soft Top with the works
    http://farm5.static.flickr.com/4062/...8cde33a7_m.jpg

SOPHOMORE ROVER

I would say an 06 or an 07. Shop for both and see what you find. The question is are the small differences between them worth the cost difference, and that is something that only you can decide.
    2006 Range Rover HSE
    Buckingham Blue
    CB radio (peaked and tuned)
    LPP
    V1

SENIOR ROVER

Quote Originally Posted by carter840
    I would say an 06 or an 07. Shop for both and see what you find. The question is are the small differences between them worth the cost difference, and that is something that only you can decide.
    You call a TDV8 engine with Terrain Response against a TD6 engine without TR a small difference.......

Most of the new technology developed for the D3/RRS models is introduced into the 2007MY. Its a completely different car mechanically aside from the new and upgraded interior/dash etc.